The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 14:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: suspect bikers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 21:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Possibly wrong forum , but if so please move.

Of late, noticed a lot of smaller bikes,from mini upwards ( with no plates ) have now decided to wear helmets. Perhaps it's something to welcome , although from the level of other protection seen , they don't seem to have a brain for the helmet to protect. Jeans, t shirts ,trainers etc. Not a biker, but have some in family, one daughter that won't be allowed to look at bike without boots/helmet/leathers by boyfriend(and grandaughter[12]who is regular passenger with her own kit, on his bike --

So is the safety message getting through - or are the "rogue "riders deciding that they do not stand out so much with a helmet??

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 21:58 
User

Personally I've never seen anyone ride on the roads without a helmet. Countless people lacking other gear though...the biggest one I don't get is people who don't wear gloves - especially when they're wearing everything else, which is even more perplexing. You'd have no damn hands left if you came off...
I nipped out to Sainsbury's once with just round-the-house Adidas trousers on as it's literally a two minute ride and I couldn't be arsed to change my trousers (had all the other gear on though) and I've never ridden more cautiously in my life. It wasn't a particularly pleasant experience, and I can't understand the weekend warriors who blat around on their ZX6Rs with a t-shirt and shorts on. Make a mistake, which you will, and it will be the last mistake you ever make...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 22:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
BTW-not talking about the typical "biker " - with CBT, helmet, licence , insurance and REG PLATES. This is about the tearaways on anything from a minimoto to a trials sized bike - who now seem to be see ing the sense in wearing a helmet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 19:13 
User

Ah,

I've not really encountered them tbh. With the exception of this kid that used to ride up and down our street over and over again for hours on one of those bloody mini-bikes. The police confiscated it in the end...WTF the kid's parents were thinking I'll never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 00:30 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

repiV wrote:
P
I nipped out to Sainsbury's once with just round-the-house Adidas trousers on as it's literally a two minute ride and I couldn't be arsed to change my trousers (had all the other gear on though) and I've never ridden more cautiously in my life.

And there is the rub; does "crash protection" encourage risky riding?

Just imagine that we never had a helmet law in this country, would this country be the sports bike capital of the world or would bikers get their freedom sensation on cruisers/nekkids etc?

I often ride my nekkids with out donning the full protection gear, but feel naked opn the VFR without it, I even just invested in a full race suit as two piece zip together leathers just don't feel good enough for the track.

Don't get me wrong I am not against protective clothing but I am very wary of over zealous encouragment of it

Nothing to do with so called "illegal" bikes, personally I think that this is a greatly over exaggerated problem limited to a few less desirable estates in some of our worst inner cities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 07:10 
User

Patch wrote:
repiV wrote:
I nipped out to Sainsbury's once with just round-the-house Adidas trousers on as it's literally a two minute ride and I couldn't be arsed to change my trousers (had all the other gear on though) and I've never ridden more cautiously in my life.

It obviously does for repiV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 08:42 
User

Icandoit wrote:
Patch wrote:
repiV wrote:

Oh that is SO constructive. If you have nothing sensible to contribute keep it zipped.

Its an argument that's been going on for ever. Personally I always wear armoured gloves and sturdy boots, but I wear an open faced lid. I almost always wear a leather jacket, but I did once ride in a t-shirt and cut-off and I'll admit I did feel a bit exposed. I'll wear jeans round town but leathers for longer jouneys. I never wear armour.

I don't think my riding changes depending on what I'm wearing - I always try to ride within myself, but there again I don't tend to 'push it' round town anyway (although I do like playing in traffic :roll: ). The only thing I do find is that I feel more secure on the bike in leather trousers simply because they 'stick' to the seat better.

I find it usually takes a longer ride (5+ miles on NSL roads) to really get in the zone, so based on circumstances I suppose you could argue that I ride better when fully suited and booted, but I don't think I ever truely ride dangerously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 08:59 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
Icandoit wrote:
Patch wrote:
repiV wrote:
I've never ridden more cautiously in my life.

Oh that is SO constructive. If you have nothing sensible to contribute keep it zipped.

repiV has stated that they 'never rode more cautiously in their life' than when they were not wearing protective clothing which suggests that they do ride less cautiously when they are, just as Patch questioned.

What was 'SO constructive' in your post? Perhaps if all you can manage is to be abusive it is you who should consider 'keeping it zipped'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 09:18 
User

So riding less cautiously constitutes risky riding does it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 09:19 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:

If you have nothing sensible to contribute keep it zipped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 09:29 
User

Icandoit wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:

If you have nothing sensible to contribute keep it zipped.

So basically you can't or won't answer the question?

Case closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 09:35 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
So basically you can't or won't answer the question?

Case closed.

Oh that is SO constructive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 09:40 
User

I could follow this with a torrent of C+ stylee "ANSWER THE QUESTION"s, but quite frankly I wouldn't want you to feel that much at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:04 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
I could follow this with a torrent of C+ stylee "ANSWER THE QUESTION"s, but quite frankly I wouldn't want you to feel that much at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:17 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Icandoit wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:
Icandoit wrote:
Patch wrote:
repiV wrote:
I've never ridden more cautiously in my life.

repiV has stated that they 'never rode more cautiously in their life' than when they were not wearing protective clothing which suggests that they do ride less cautiously when they are, just as Patch questioned.

This is your fallacy: you have equated 'less cautiously' (I personally interpreted repiV's description as 'less hypercautiously') to 'risky', which logically is not the case.

Icandoit, you have misrepresented repiV’s position, probably unintentionally; regardless you are now pressing people’s buttons. I strongly urge to you reconsider your posting style.

(moderator)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:53 
User

smeggy wrote:
Icandoit wrote:

This is your fallacy: you have equated 'less cautiously' (I personally interpreted repiV's description as 'less hypercautiously') to 'risky', which logically is not the case.

There is your fallacy. Read on.
repiV wrote:
It wasn't a particularly pleasant experience, and I can't understand the weekend warriors who blat around on their ZX6Rs with a t-shirt and shorts on. Make a mistake, which you will, and it will be the last mistake you ever make...

So simply by not wearing protective clothing you WILL make a mistake and it WILL be your last?

Really?

smeggy wrote:
Icandoit, you have misrepresented repiV’s position, probably unintentionally; regardless you are now pressing people’s buttons. I strongly urge to you reconsider your posting style.

(moderator)

Sixy_the_red is 'pressing my buttons'. Why don't you threaten them, moderator?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:57 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I've replied to you via PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 18:58 
User

repiV wrote:
....I can't understand the weekend warriors who blat around on their ZX6Rs with a t-shirt and shorts on. Make a mistake, which you will, and it will be the last mistake you ever make...

That's a bit presumptuous isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 00:47 

Gixxer wrote:
repiV wrote:
....I can't understand the weekend warriors who blat around on their ZX6Rs with a t-shirt and shorts on. Make a mistake, which you will, and it will be the last mistake you ever make...

That's a bit presumptuous isn't it?

Most bikers in Florida wear little more than a T-shirt and shorts/trouser. Most don't seem to wear a helmet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 09:53 

Although I ride fully kitted always. I don't delude myself that my kit will protect me much.

Perhaps the government would be better addressing some of the outrageous safety claims made by most manufacturers that have conducted no formal PPE testing at all.

Only a handful have actually done the proper test and even fewer have done the cambridge test.