It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Essex Chronicle Campaign
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 23:59 

This week's Essex Chronicle has the Headline
Essex Chronicle wrote:
"92 Dead And Counting..."

Essex Chronicle wrote:
"2006 could be a record year for fatal crashes in Essex... bt do we care? And if so, what can we do to curb the bloodshed?"

They have a two page spread inside listing the death toll in Essex, comments from Emergency services personell and an invitation for readers to give thier comments on casualty reduction in Essex.

Acting Inspector Mick Green of Chelmsford Policing Unit wrote:
"People are not listening. The public need to work with us"

I'm thinking of putting together a response incorporating the pictures of the camera site that started me on all this, the chicane in part of Chelmsford that has obscured signage, the Army & Navy flyover and a few other roads that I know off where there has been little, if any real investment despite huge amount being earned through the number of cameras in Essex.

Does anyone know of 'duff' roads in Essex that are suitable for photos and a brief describtion that could be compiled into a pack to go to the Chronicle?

Any thoughts on how to present this?

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 01:36 
Site Admin

I'd accuse the authorities of gross neglect, barking up the wrong tree and basing their strategy on inadequate data.

If you fancy that route, I'll help you, or possibly I should prepare a Safe Speed response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 19:39 
Gold Member
Gold Member

When I was doing my Rospa training I had to do the Army and Navy roundabout several times. My instructor pointed to the bags over the traffic lights. "Those bags have cost £1,000,000. They spent the money on the traffic lights and they didn't work." I assume by not working he meant, they didn't do the job they were intended to do.

Then, what about the money they spent blocking up the old A130 Rettendon road? It runs parallel with the new A130 and only locals use it on a day to day basis. But now it's all narrow strips and they put the DC section onto one carrageway. Idiots. The new A130 gets shut from time to time and now the traffic has nowhere to go. There was no need to alter the old road as so few cars used it. Waste of money if you ask me.

It wouldn't hurt to repaint some of the road markings once in a while either. Most are very badly worn, some completely away and others are hard to diferenciate between markings and over banding when it's wet and dark like it is at this time of year. (I had my eyes tested last Jan and my wndows are always clean).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 03:07 
User

Location: Swindon, the home of the Magic Roundabout and no traffic planning
adam.L wrote:
It wouldn't hurt to repaint some of the road markings once in a while either. Most are very badly worn, some completely away and others are hard to diferenciate between markings and over banding when it's wet and dark like it is at this time of year. (I had my eyes tested last Jan and my wndows are always clean).

I am there with you buddy - the state of road markings is getting worse, constantly. Coupled with deteriorating cats eyes, half the time you cannot even see the bloody road!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:41 
User

Location: Ex A590 now Southend-On-Mud, Essex, Now Suffolk border
adam.L wrote:
When I was doing my Rospa training I had to do the Army and Navy roundabout several times. My instructor pointed to the bags over the traffic lights. "Those bags have cost £1,000,000. They spent the money on the traffic lights and they didn't work." I assume by not working he meant, they didn't do the job they were intended to do.

Then, what about the money they spent blocking up the old A130 Rettendon road? It runs parallel with the new A130 and only locals use it on a day to day basis. But now it's all narrow strips and they put the DC section onto one carrageway. Idiots. The new A130 gets shut from time to time and now the traffic has nowhere to go. There was no need to alter the old road as so few cars used it. Waste of money if you ask me.

I could not believe what they did to the old A130, how much did that cost ??? and hardly anybody uses it anymore.

Are they not turning the lights back on at the army and navy? They seem to have been doing a lot of work there recently

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 16:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

blademansw wrote:
adam.L wrote:

I am there with you buddy - the state of road markings is getting worse, constantly. Coupled with deteriorating cats eyes, half the time you cannot even see the bloody road!

well, I'm gald it's not just me. Last night I was out in the car late and noticed I could tell the grass was green on my near side, but not where the road was.

While driving up past Stanstead last night on the A120 there are lit parts and unlit parts, ok, no big deal. There's a junction off to the left and the road curves right (The junction is acutally straight on). The junction to the left is nicely lit, which is fair enough. But your eyes (well my eyes at least) are draw to the light and the DC, where I intended to go just disappears into the abyss.

I also noticed they have but a camera up on Royal Artillery Way, which is a 50 limit DC. It's possible to exceed 50 without coming to any harm, but once in a while there's some clow that finds them selves in the crash barrier, so we have to have a camera...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 03:56 

I spoke to the lady at the Chronicle and she was interested and suggested that I perhaps show her some of these less than optimal roads.

So ALL Safespeeders in the Essex area could you please:

send me details of road that you see problems on, in particular poor signage, road markings, poor state of repair or any new schemes that have made the situation worse rather than better??

On this forum or PM me if you prefer.

I know of a few in Chelmsford where I live but it would be nice if i could point to a county wide lack.

In advance, Many thanks !

Brett (SE)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 17:09 
User

I cycle over the North Station mutabout, Colchester on a daily basis. I often either have to cycle on the wrong side of the road and dodge between cars or get poisoned by fumes. The particular road from the roandabout I go back down was deliberately not given lights to disuade cars from choosing that route if they don't live there. Not very safe...

The main problem is that poor planning has given many cars no choice but to use that road.

Bruft close is bus only. In my opinion it would be better for the southern-most part of mile end road to be bus only southbound, divering cars via bruft close.

I can't think of a cheap fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 17:48 

Sounds like an interesting one nicycle, when you say deliberately not given lights, is that documented somewhere? Would make very interesting reading if we can prove this and the link to hazard creation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 21:36 
User

Safety Engineer wrote:
Sounds like an interesting one nicycle, when you say deliberately not given lights, is that documented somewhere? Would make very interesting reading if we can prove this and the link to hazard creation.

My friend still has a copy of the leaflet distrbuted to those living in the area.

Found an image of the sign on the internet.

Where it says local traffic only is the road with no lights. The idea is that traffic coming from that direction has to give way. This is a bit difficult given that the traffic lights ensure that the roandabout gets clogged up and the lack of a box junciton leads to people reserving their space and blocking.

As said, I often dodge round cars at a stand still, wait for the green light protecting the box junction where the overlap on the sign is, then cross and use the cycle lane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 17:46 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you proceed along the A127 west bound from J29 of M25 lane 1 is very rutted. Anyway the on slip at, I think it's the basildon/Wichford junction where it sweeps around is a nasty one. There is hardly any slip road and you need a finger on the after burner to get on to the carrageway, that's if there is room, if not you end up creeping to the end of the slip road. In that area there are garden centres too which have hardly any on slip to get on the this very bust major road. They have but some barriers to stop suicidal chavs attempting to cross the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 03:15 

Well as posted on another thread:

In Chelmsford, there have been compaints over a pedestrian crossing and the poor sighting of the pedestrians Go/No Go lights. Over the last four years there have been 16 serious accidents and two fatalities, the most recent a few weeks ago.

The local traders association has complained from day one these were dangerous but as they 'haven't changed thier attitude' to roughly qoute a local councillor nothing has been done.

I have contacted the Chronicle regarding this crossing and despite the most recent press release from Essex County Council Highways Department stating we are looking at this seriously, if so why have they stuck three more crossings with the same design fault on them???

The young lady I originally spoke to is in the process of leaving the Chronicle and the news desk editor didn't seem overly interested.

I'm going to give one of the other local papers a call and see if they would run the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 13:50 

Update:

After now four years two fatalities and now 19 serious accidents, our local authority realised what some were saying a week after this crossing was opened.

The crossing on Parkway has now got eye level repeaters on the opposite sides of the roads so now pedestrians can actually see the go/no go signals.

Unfortunately they haven't seen fit to similarly modify the other crossing that are to this ill thought out design.

We can only hope that it doesn't take more fatalities...