Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 19:09 
New User
New User

My other half got flashed by a gatso doing 47mph in a class 2 lorry. He was on a dual carriageway in a 50mph speed limit. I cannot find anything that suggests that the speed limit would be less than 50mph for a class 2, or a class 1 even. It was a proper dual carriageway with a full central reservation. Anyone know the score here? Thanks

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 19:35 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

If there is a signed speed limit of 50 mph on a dual carriageway, then the speed limit for an LGV certainly should be 50 mph.

I would suggest writing back to them pointing this out, it may be a genuine error. However it might be an idea to check the site first, to confirm it is a 50 limit and has a proper central reservation. I'm not saying you're mistaken, but in cases like this it's always best to double check your facts.

Also are you sure there wasn't a lower limit in place for roadworks?

Where is this, btw - there's bound to be someone on here who's familiar with the location.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject: hmmmmmmmmm
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 13:21 
New User
New User

hmmmmmmm indeed having had another trip down said route it seems he missed the fact that the road briefly goes to 30 limit then back to 50. The camera is just sat inside the 30 limit of course. so its a far cop it seems, lack to attention to blame. its the A80 near glasgow, think it gets its fair share of revenue!!! Thanks for your help

Post subject: Re: hmmmmmmmmm
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 19:58 
User

sarahsweet30 wrote:
hmmmmmmm indeed having had another trip down said route it seems he missed the fact that the road briefly goes to 30 limit then back to 50. The camera is just sat inside the 30 limit of course. so its a far cop it seems, lack to attention to blame. its the A80 near glasgow, think it gets its fair share of revenue!!! Thanks for your help

Perhaps - but sneaky all the same. I am sure your other half is a very safe COAST style driver all the same. It seems like revenue raisin' at silliest here. It does not prevent FPN - but essential to boost confidence of boyfriend that he's not likely to kill anyone. :wink: Might I suggest checking mobile timetables/fixed sites and perhaps getting an origin B2 or upgrading Sat Nav with scam site overlay :wink:

Forearmed is forewarned as my old Mum still says to me :laugh:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject: Re: hmmmmmmmmm
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 21:58 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Mad Moggie wrote:
sarahsweet30 wrote:

Perhaps - but sneaky all the same.

Absoutely - underlines the point that you should always check the site before crying foul. But these sudden changes in limit that don't seem to accord with any change in the road environment can so easily catch people out :x

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 20:00 
Suspended
Suspended

Easily catch out a proficient driver using all his/her powers of observation?? :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 20:52 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:
Easily catch out a proficient driver using all his/her powers of observation?? :lol: :lol:

Perhaps he was momentarily distracted by say, oh I don't know, looking at the speedo? He saw the camera was there so why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 16:56 
Suspended
Suspended

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They really ought to start removing these speedos didnt they?
What trouble they cause!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 18:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Or they could remove the camera, or at least set it to trigger at reasonable levels, or even make use of a VAS - that would be too clever huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 18:07 
Suspended
Suspended

yes having the camera set so you get caught at 47mph in a 30mph limit really is very unreasonable of the camera people isn't it!! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 18:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:
yes having the camera set so you get caught at 47mph in a 30mph limit really is very unreasonable of the camera people isn't it!! :lol: :lol:

Having a 30 limit for a DC could well be unreasonable, that not as uncommon as you might believe. Have you travelled around Southampton recently?

I notice you didn't mention the VAS option - very telling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 19:16 
Suspended
Suspended

and who are you to make this statement , and even IF the limit was unreasonable the setting of a camera at 17 mph over the limit would not.

The rules of the road are NOT optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 19:50 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:
IF the limit was unreasonable the setting of a camera at 17 mph over the limit would not.

Well that doesn't follow (a 'non-sequitur' for everyone else).

safetyman wrote:
The rules of the road are NOT optional.

The way they are set and abused makes the law an ass! Is it not important to encourage respect for the law?

Post subject: 47 on a DC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 20:16 
User

Seems as thought there is something amiss here as I don,t know the road personally I will dispense with a reply to the sarcastic remark made by "safetyman" as he obviously is so perfect he never makes a mistake :roll: :roll:

The crux of the question was is there a valid reason for the sudden reduction from 50 to 30 on a dual carriageway were there road works at the time (I think not) as a camera would not likely have been put in place for a few days just to catch the unwary.

More likely that for some reason (other than revenue earning:lol: :lol: ) the reduction has been sanctioned to save lives (so they tell us :roll: :roll: ) as there appears to be no other reason for the reduction on what appears to be a standard D/C :!: :!:

"He Who Ain,t Made Mistakes Ain,t Made Anything"

Spannernut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 21:55 
Suspended
Suspended

Of course we now know the answere to the origional question posed, "what speed should he be doing" was no more than 30 mph, hence the legal difficulties

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 23:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

safetyman wrote:
They really ought to start removing these speedos didnt they?

The first sensible post by you so far. But I know it wasn't meant that way. So go on then list me all the down sides from a road safety point of view of removing the speedo from every vehicle on the road.

Your sarcastic response shows that you think the speedo essential, so why do you think that?

(BTW this is my post, not safespeed's, and I know that safespeed disagrees with me on this point, so don't go tarring us all, just me for the that if you please!)

Upton Sinclair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 01:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ahh, now I think I understand why 'safetyman' is so intent on making a fool of himself in public view; he has mistaken a desire to change the law for the betterment of all with an intention to flout and disrespect the law.

I genuinely hope that everyone here, if not 'safetyman' himself, can see the gaping ravine between the two!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:28 
Suspended
Suspended

So will any-one make a statement that motorist should stick to the law until the law is changed, and that the users of this forum will stop helping the people who look to it to help them get off legitimate prosecutions??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

safetyman wrote:
So will any-one make a statement that motorist should stick to the law until the law is changed, and that the users of this forum will stop helping the people who look to it to help them get off legitimate prosecutions??

I don't believe that this site does anything of the sort. We have advised ensuring that the prosecution is legitimate, however. This is perfectly reasonable behavoir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:32 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:

There is already an ongoing thead, started by yourself safetyman, in which you have asked this same question (and been given answers).

Again, please do not repeat the same questions in different threads, especially without first addressing the previous subsequent responses.

Everyone please keep all related responses in the given thread, thanks.