Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 09:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 21:39 
Gold Member
Gold Member

safetyman wrote:
... the 1st part of the risk assesment is the speed limit, thats the start...

There is an expression, "The more you know, the more you realise you don't know"

Sadly, you appear to think you know it all - believe me, you haven't even started.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 22:09 

"safetyman", do you think that things would improve if skilled, qualified, independent traffic engineers set speed limits and safety measures, instead of non-technical, unqualified councillors who have vested interests and are (by definition) more worried about being re-elected than making things safe?

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 20:19 

:shock:

does somes tax pay for this person's upkeep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 22:16 
Suspended
Suspended

What harm would it do to stick to the speed limit???????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 22:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As much harm as exceeding it, judging by the figures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 20:13 
User

safetyman wrote:

Well.....in order to absolutely 100% guarantee that I (or anybody here) would not be exceeding the speed limit, we would have to spend a hell of a lot of time looking at the speedo.
And the more time we are looking at a dial, the less time we are looking at what is going on in front and making the necessary changes to ensure we don't hit anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 09:20 
User

Gixxer wrote:
safetyman wrote:

Well.....in order to absolutely 100% guarantee that I (or anybody here) would not be exceeding the speed limit, we would have to spend a hell of a lot of time looking at the speedo.
And the more time we are looking at a dial, the less time we are looking at what is going on in front and making the necessary changes to ensure we don't hit anything.

Yep....and considering the amount that you should be using your mirrors that doesn't leave much time for looking where you're going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 02:37 

safetyman wrote:

Oh no, what a fantastically well put argument, all those thousands of words on Paul's site beaten in one sentence.

Time to pack up chaps.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:58 
Suspended
Suspended

So what is the harm of been aware enough of the speed limit and not going above it, what damage does it really do??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 16:39 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Have you ever thought, it more to do with the way it is enforced?
Do you ever think?

The speed limit is not a safety limit. Do you not think it strange how a road can be :nsl: then lowered to :40:, and the road has not changed for years, the only difference is a yellow box on the side of the road?

Or what about when you are on a :nsl: “sticking to the limit” and the car in front, which was doing a similar speed to you, slams on their brakes and slows down to 40 “just to be sure” because they see a speed cam. You have to change your underware, but are glad you left a big gap between you.
Yes this is safety in action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 16:49 

If you were to stick to 30 in the place photographed above then you would make people rather angry.

Where the speed limit has been set stupidly low what is the harm in exceeding it?

It's law, not safety. It's not "if you exceed random number then you will die a most horrible death", it's if you get seen by police exceeding the random number in a circle then you may be fined and have points on your license.

The law is like gambling. If you do X and they catch you then they allow themselves to do Y to you. If you don't do X OR get caught then you are ok.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 19:26 
Suspended
Suspended

So what is the harm of been aware enough of the speed limit and not going above it, what damage does it really do??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 19:34 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:

This is a convergence to http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 911#150911. Could I suggest that continuity continue in the referred topic?

I think the original intent of this thread has run its course, so I'll lock it to avoid splintering. If anyone wants it reopening, just ping me a PM and I'll open it up again.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2