The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 20:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 59MPH in a 30MPH zone
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 17:18 
New User
New User

Hey guys.
I got caught doing 59MPH in a 30MPH zone - I aint proud, I was foolish, I was still a new driver then. I have learnt my lesson though.
That was back February. the 12th. I got the NIP on the 22nd.
As always my luck, one more day and I would have got away with it but the Summons came today.
What are my chances like? I recently started my first and only job, a refrigeration engineer in April, and now have a van and also am on callout, so I'm vital to my company so if I lose my licence I'm screwed and my life will be in tatters, driving means everything to me.
They've sent evidence, photos. I was caught on a mobile unit, at night so I didnt see the damn thing at all.
One thing that does puzzle me though is that "ERROR 2" meant to be there? Or can it be at fault or something?
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/71/dscf4080bw9.jpg
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2199/dscf4081kn2.jpg
If not doesn't really matter, just caught my attention.
Thing is I live in Bristol and the hearing is in Taunton, and a month away, so I'm worried sick. I can't afford a solictor with the money I'm on so thats out of the window.
Best thing to do guys? :cry:
I dont wanna lose my licence.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 18:50 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The Error 2 won't mean anything useful to you. It’s not an equipment fault, the operator simply didn't get a clean shot on your plate so he tried again.
If the zoom wasn't altered between the two photos then it would look as if you really were going jolly fast. I can only assume you aren't contesting the claimed speed.

You should make your case as to why a ban would seriously affect your career chances. If you have any dependants then be sure to mention it to the court.
You seem repentant, if you can convey that to the court then you might just keep your licence, albeit with 5 points and a huge fine.

Do you like Takeshi's Castle? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 18:58 
New User
New User

Thanks - yes I really regret doing this, and have completly changed my driving style now, not that I drove like that everywhere anyway.
Would going to court in person be better than a mitigating letter?

And, yes I do like Takeshi's Castle :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 19:19 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Takeshi wrote:
Would going to court in person be better than a mitigating letter?

I would say yes. Just being there shows you are taking it seriously.
A letter is just a bunch of symbols. You can convey so much more by communicating it directly.

Takeshi wrote:
And, yes I do like Takeshi's Castle :lol:

I love it, it's so funny :hehe: I wish we had stuff like that in this country, unfortunately we're too nannied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:01 
Magistrate
Magistrate

You say you were a new driver when you were caught. there are different rules for new drivers.

Were you within 2 years of first passing a test ( a motorcycle test would count even if you were caught driving a car) on the day you were caught?

Post subject: Exceeding the limit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 23:03 
User

Just to clarify a point you made about the "14" day period, sorry mate but the law says the authorities have up to "6" months from the date of the offence to find you or the registered keeper of the vehicle concerned to issue an NIP.

As one post says if you are a new driver you could possibly face a ban (if had a licence for less than 2 years) so I would definitely attend court on this one to plead for your licence but I think a ban is usually automatic unless exceptional circumstances so you have nothing to lose by attending if necessary as you could explain extreme hardship etc. if you lose your licence (which may mean loss of job etc.).

Good luck

"He Who Ain,t Made Mistakes Ain,t Made Anything"

Spannernut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 02:23 
Site Admin

Takeshi wrote:
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/71/dscf4080bw9.jpg
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2199/dscf4081kn2.jpg

Those two photos are 1 second apart. The first shows the cross hairs well up the boot lid. The second - with the measurement - shows the cross hairs on the numberplate. This is strong evidence that the aim point changed during the measurement period. This is a perfect set up for a 'slip effect' error. Unfortunately in this case it seems to me that any slip effect would tend to reduce the speed recorded rather than increase it, but it may still be sufficient to argue 'reasonable doubt'.

You next steps should be to learn about 'slip effect' and "lti20.20" via google search, and to get along to Pepipoo who will likely be able to assist far more with legal defences than we can.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:51 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SafeSpeed wrote:
... strong evidence ...

I think that's too strong a description. There are 1.22 seconds between the photos; the measurement period would have been during the last 0.34 seconds (plus a bit for some 'timout display'). The video could well show the panning had stopped halfway between the shown frames.

Also, assuming correct alignment of the video crosshairs with the beam (always a rash assumption - unless you're a magistrate), the beam divergence would mean that the beam would have just hit the retro-reflective plate during the first shown frame (using the standard width of the plate as a length reference); a strike on the plate is a cert for the second photo. IMO, a significant and roughly constant portion of the beam will have hit the VRM throughout the measurement period. The plate is the first and most reflective surface so the gun will acquire it – no chance of slip. If the panning was of a constant rate between the two frames, the measurement would have started with the beam centred on the plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 13:12 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Oddly enough: assuming an unchanged optical zoom, using the relative change of distance between the rear lamps, my maths puts the speed at 43.1mph!

Can anyone else confirm what I’ve assumed and done are correct?

Post subject: Re: Exceeding the limit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 20:59 
Magistrate
Magistrate

Stormin wrote:
As one post says if you are a new driver you could possibly face a ban (if had a licence for less than 2 years) so I would definitely attend court on this one to plead for your licence but I think a ban is usually automatic unless exceptional circumstances so you have nothing to lose by attending if necessary as you could explain extreme hardship etc. if you lose your licence (which may mean loss of job etc.).

The new driver rules kick in when someone, within 2 years of passing their FIRST test, reaches 6 points or more.

For the OP, if he gets 5 or less he will be able to keep on driving.

If the court disqualify him, it would be for a maximum of 56 days (assuming no previous bans or points) after which he gets his licence back.
In neither of those cases do the new driver rules apply.

If he gets 6 points the new driver rules will apply.
The court will NOT ban him. At some time in the next few weeks he will get a letter from the DVLA stating a date from which his licence is revoked. He will need to apply for a new licence.
If he drives after the revocation date and before he has physical possession of his new licence he will be guilty of driving without a licence (NOT driving while disqualified although the law on this may change in the near future).
When his new licence arrives it will be a provisional, so he can drive with L plates, a supervising driver and suitable insurance. As soon as he passes a test (both parts) he can tear up the L plates.

There is no appeal against a DVLA decision to revoke a licence in these circumstances. Courts have been directed not to reduce points to avoid revocation as it is will of parliament that such drivers should re-take a test.
So any attempt to mitigate down from 6 to 5 should fail. A succesful mitigation to avoid a disqualification could leave him with 6 points, and depending on waiting lists locally and the standard of his driving could take longer to be driving solo than serving a short ban.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:19 
New User
New User

Alternatively you could just buy my solicitors letters from me and relieve yourself of a massive burden. Points and fine dropped, 100% guaranteed or money back.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190147807217&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=009

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:27 
Life Member
Life Member

Better advice is free on pepipoo
Also may be selling legal advice whilst not legaly allowed to do so

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 13:51 
User

The OP states that the alleged offence took place on 12th February; and that the summons arrived on 21st August.

Importantly, somewhere on the summons there should be a date when the information was laid to issue the summons. This date must be with 6 months of the alleged offence (ie prior to 12th August) otherwise the summons is void and they are out of time to prosecute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 19:30 
Suspended
Suspended

nearly double the speed limit,

1 YOU ARE NOT vital to your company they would have replaced you if your silly driving had led to your death.

2 IF you need your licence keep to the limit, its that simple, you know the rules of the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 19:37 
New User
New User

Quote:
1 YOU ARE NOT vital to your company they would have replaced you if your silly driving had led to your death.

I am vital to my company - there all relatives of mine. And to find a decent engineer nowdays is hard, with all this college crap. So dont come stomping in here acting big when you've amassed 2 posts.

BOT:
I've sent off the form etc, going to attend court in person. Feel I can get my words across better that way :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 18:42 
Suspended
Suspended

I am vital to my company - there all relatives of mine.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 00:09 

safetyman wrote:
I am vital to my company - there all relatives of mine.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i don't understand the humour......could you elucidate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 17:42 
Suspended
Suspended

:o :o :o :o :? :? :? :?

like you dont know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 17:44 
Suspended
Suspended

:o :o :o :o :? :? :? :?

like you dont know
:D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 18:17 

Nope,

thats twice and I still don't get it.

Am I being a bit thick here or are you just being obtuse?