Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 17:37 
Site Admin

http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/for ... =866&st=15

Steve on CSCP forum wrote:
Interesting about the safe speed theory. I was giving it some thought the other day. If it is OK to travel at a speed which is safe for the road conditions and at a speed art which you can stop in the distance you can see to be safe, etc.....
Folk who have advocated this also propose very strongly that looking at the speedo is "unsafe" or "distracting".
Examining the theory, my description may not be exact but it's close enough, if you don't consider your speed or measure it with the speedo, how do you know how far you will take to stop?
This I believe makes the safe speed theory highly dangerous as I am willing to say that more than 90% of drivers give no consideration to what distance it takes them to stop as they drive at all. This therefore makes any effort or suggestion that this is a safe method of speed control and safe driving completely ridiculous.

Oh right Steve! So if the speedo's broken we can't judge a braking distance? God help us all!

Steve, are you serious?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 19:46 

In reality we do not look at our Speedo. Measure with laser precision the distance we have to travel. Calculate the coefficient of friction of the brake pads to the disc. Superimpose the rate of change of momentum to work out when to brake.

In reality it is acquired skill and judgement that we use to establish the safest speed to travel under the prevailing conditions. And that includes roadside hazards, weather conditions and visibility.

Remember racing cars don’t have speedos. They use driver skill to know how fast you can take a turn or when to brake. And they work on the limit of adhesion, whereas we only use about 10%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 20:11 

Yep, Steve Callaghan at his illogical best! I try not to bother rising to the bait so much these days, but I really couldn't resist that one. Perhaps we should collect these all up and release a "Best of" compilation for next Christmas!!! :wink:

I mean, who else do you know who trolls on his own forum? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 23:31 
User

Quote:
In reality we do not look at our Speedo. Measure with laser precision the distance we have to travel. Calculate the coefficient of friction of the brake pads to the disc. Superimpose the rate of change of momentum to work out when to brake.

Maybe Steve has an updated version of Highway Code with adjustments to theoretical braking distances that also takes into account to gradient, wind speed, number of people in car ( and any luggage ), and model of car being driven, whether driver is alert or just come off night shift, etc.

The ones i have seen just have outdated stopping distance that current cars can beat, Top Gear showed recently that Merc sports car stopped from 120 ( i think ) in less than distance HC quotes for 60 - so will Steve and CSCP let Merc drivers go past at that speed in NSL ?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 03:01 
Site Admin

Are you gus watching this:

http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/for ... =866&st=15

(same link as first post)

Plot well and truly lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 09:39 

Is there any mileage in giving this to the press? His views are very clearly insane, he's been proved wrong beyond all reasonable doubt yet he still keeps hammering on about it when he must know he's already beaten...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 15:00 
User

The Safespeed rule is the basis of all advanced driver training. Someone best tell the Police, Fire Service, Ambulances etc that they are doing it all wrong.

I do hope he never cycles anywhere, according to his arguement - with no speedo he will crash.

Mad! And to think he gets paid public money!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 15:08 

Look, someone's started off a "best of" thread!

Steve's Greatest Hits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 16:06 
Site Admin

I think I can smell burning...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 16:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've registered over at CSCP. Anyone know how long they take to activate membership at the moment? That's assuming my username doesn't get me knocked back right away of course. :)

Edit: Activated about 20 minutes ago, so that wasn't much more than half a day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 23:02 

Steve on CSCP forum wrote:
if you don't consider your speed or measure it with the speedo, how do you know how far you will take to stop?

Wibble.

Its a gripe I have always had with the highay code and the obsession with stopping distances.

I cannot judge distances in feet, yards, metres, furlongs or any other measurement you wish to use. If I guess something is an inch long it will be anywhere from a quarter of an inch to four inches. The only way I could judge my stopping distance using the handy Highway Code table would be to get out of the car and use a measuring tape. Strangely I don't tend to run into things very often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 23:21 
User

Quote:
I cannot judge distances in feet, yards, metres, furlongs or any other measurement you wish to use. If I guess something is an inch long it will be anywhere from a quarter of an inch to four inches. The only way I could judge my stopping distance using the handy Highway Code table would be to get out of the car and use a measuring tape. Strangely I don't tend to run into things very often.

Completely agree, not only do i not run into things, i can also stop at junctions without looking at my speedo, in different vehicles with difference stopping distances, and on my bike without a speedo at all.

After 17 years driving, about 220,000 miles - Its a wonder i am still alive!

If i am slowing down for a hazard, the last place i am looking is the speedo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 23:21 

I have just completed reading the link to the speedo/braking distance stuff and am aghast that this completely moronic imbecile is actually in charge of anything.

Surely this link should be sent to his boss, or whoever he reports to. If he reported to me I'd get rid of him pretty damn quick because all he does is bring the scameras into more disrepute (if that's possible).

Oh, and I loved the best of...

Yes I'm a hoon, but only on the track!!!!

Post subject: Barking
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 00:29 
User

The guy is barking mad. I read the link and several other threads and am lost for words at the ineptitude of this guy. But I do have a few questions:

1. What is the point of the Forum?
2. What qualifications does Mr Callaghan have?
3. Who are his superiors and do they know about this 'loose cannon'?

Max

Post subject: Re: Barking
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 00:43 
Site Admin

Max Wilson wrote:

I wouldn't recommend blowing any whistles. The CSCP Forum is a useful window into their world. We don't want to lose it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 00:51 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

It still baffles me why they set up a forum in the first place.

Did they not realise they would get overwhelmingly negative comment?

I don't follow it closely, but I'm not aware there's a single regular "general public" poster on there who is sympathetic to their line.

Where is this fabled silent majority who are claimed to support cameras?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:41 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
Max Wilson wrote:

I wouldn't recommend blowing any whistles. The CSCP Forum is a useful window into their world. We don't want to lose it.

Agreed, but I'd rather someone in charge that at least had a grasp of the issues and was suitably qualified. I haven't seen a general poster that is onside either, but then this site could be similarly described; at least we do have Basingwerk! The main thing that gives this site and the SafeSpeed campaign as a whole, credance is the ability to continually and effectively challenge everything and debunk the myths and lies. What's more, the site is increasingly getting the message accross that we are Pro 'Road Safety' and Anti 'anything that jeopardises that,' and not just 'anti camera.'

Max

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 20:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Max Wilson wrote:
Agreed, but I'd rather someone in charge that at least had a grasp of the issues and was suitably qualified.

The vast majority of people in the management of the safety camera partnerships have NO experience in road safety at all.

The PR people are mini-spin doctors.

Probably the data analyst is the most intelligent person in the organisation but they are put to spinning the figures in a good light - I expect most of them would rather go back to stock control and finance which is boring but without shame!

Gareth