Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 15:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 13:28 
New User
New User

Hi there and hope that someone out there can provide some advice……

I was caught on a mobile camera in Nottinghamshire and have recently received an NIP. I’m currently awaiting further correspondance which will presumably be either a fixed penalty notice, or a summons.

I drove again along the same stretch of road yesterday for the first time since the incident and took a careful measurement of the distance between the start of the 30mph zone and the location of the Camera Van. I’d heard that the guidelines state that there should be a distance of at least 400metres, but the distance I measured was actually 320 metres.

Has anyone got any idea if I can use such information to successfully defend myself against any action against me?

Many Thanks. 8-)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 15:15 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

As I understand it: all they need to give is proof of what speed limit applied to you and your speed within it. The speed limit applies right up to the signed posts - there is no buffer distance. The camera van can be located anywhere along the carriageway.

It seems you’re not disputing the speed reading or the signage, in which case I think you’re done I’m afraid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 22:04 
Suspended
Suspended

As I understand it the speed limit starts at the sign-post,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 13:04 

Tinbum - was it a rural :30: area, recently changed from :40: ?

Is there a system of street lighting along this road?

It may be that the limit is not enforceable. See this link from the ABD press releases - http://www.abd.org.uk/pr/385.htm

Even though this PR reports a test case dating back to 2003, councils are still misusing legislation. This PR turned out to be my salvation in my own speeding case, which I won in court in April 2007. I just thought I'd post this here, if only to piss safetyman off. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:12 
Suspended
Suspended

but what harm would it have done to follow the speed limit as posted??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:25 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:

Safetyman,

Roger has already locked a thread resulting from your repeated yet un-responding posts here, (please follow the link given in that thread).

Please refrain from repeatedly asking the same question without first addressing the previous subsequent responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:15 

safetyman wrote:

Well safetyman, I will indulge you this once. The straight answer to your question is none at all. But let me ask a question - the road I was on had had a :40: limit for as long as I can remember (1974-1999). What harm would it have done to leave the speed limit as it was? It's not a dangerous road and I know of no accidents being caused by vehicles travelling at 31-40.

Let me ask you another question. That unguarded level crossing picture I posted for you in another thread - speed limit :nsl: on the approach to it, parked cars and houses on either side, likelihood of pedestrians, dogs/children etc. What harm would it have done to drive at the (60mph) speed limit through there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 17:04 
Suspended
Suspended

Well safetyman, I will indulge you this once. The straight answer to your question is none at all. (exactly)

Now not exceeding the limit obviously (*to any-one not wishing to misunderstand and with half an ounce of brain) does NOT mean always travelling AT the limit.

IT means that in the drivers risk assesment the TOP speed of the assesment is the posted limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 18:09 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:
Now not exceeding the limit obviously (*to any-one not wishing to misunderstand and with half an ounce of brain) does NOT mean always travelling AT the limit.

IT means that in the drivers risk assesment the TOP speed of the assesment is the posted limit.

If the limit is set unreasonably low and drivers can still use their risk assessment and drive safely and considerately, what the harm in exceeding it?
What's the harm in doing 71 on a motorway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 19:32 
Suspended
Suspended

"What's the harm in doing 71 on a motorway?"

Very little and of course even if the gatso's were on motorways they would not be set to flash at 71mph, the drivers that do 71MPh have posible drifted over and we all can do this however carefull, the danger comes from the morons who rather than drifting over by 1 or 2 MPH drive regularly at speeds of 10, 20 30MPH over the limit expecting others to just get out the way for them.

THERE is a vast difference between the two styles, many of the recent posts have been from people going 10mph + over the limit Most claim not to have seeee the speed limit sign, SPEED + POOR OBSERVATION = WHAT?? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 20:01 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:
"What's the harm in doing 71 on a motorway?"

Very little

So we agree that there could well be very little harm in not abiding by the posted limit. So where do you draw the line, given that almost half admit to exceeding the speed limits on the motorways (source: gloucestershire.gov.uk).

safetyman wrote:
the danger comes from the morons who rather than drifting over by 1 or 2 MPH drive regularly at speeds of 10, 20 30MPH over the limit

Would you substantiate that claim?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 21:09 
Suspended
Suspended

NO Smeggy high speeds are very safe, and cause no difficulties at all, what planet are you really from, do you drive?? Do you ever try to drive within the limits/law??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 21:12 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:
NO Smeggy high speeds are very safe, and cause no difficulties at all, what planet are you really from, do you drive?? Do you ever try to drive within the limits/law??

:yawn:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 21:27 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:
NO Smeggy high speeds are very safe, and cause no difficulties at all,

Why do you continue to blatantly misrepresent everything that people say? It really doesn't cast you in a good light.
I’ve recently explained how even high motorway speeds can be a problem on other threads.

safetyman wrote:
Do you ever try to drive within the limits/law??

Actually yes I do, where it is reasonably expected by other road users that drivers should not be going faster than the limit, such as within built-up urban areas where hazards are dense, hidden and unexpected, especially where there are road users (the young) who can't judge the situations where higher speeds of vehicles are involved; my stance on this has always been consistent.
I'm afraid this doesn't apply to motorways and many dual carriageways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 21:52 
Suspended
Suspended

"I’ve recently explained how even high motorway speeds can be a problem on other threads."

"I'm afraid this doesn't apply to motorways and many dual carriageways."

Be consistant the first line seems at odds with the last rather!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 22:05 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:
"I’ve recently explained how even high motorway speeds can be a problem on other threads."

"I'm afraid this doesn't apply to motorways and many dual carriageways."

Be consistant the first line seems at odds with the last rather!!

Only to you perhaps; it would make more sense if you didn't selectively quote.

My point is simple (aided with the bold above): high motorway speeds need not be dangerous - yes it can be but not necessarily so due to the substantially reduced hazards, and young pedestrians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 01:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Safetyman, don't dodge the question:

If 70 is the limit, but you yourself admit that 71 is not unsafe, where do you draw the line: At what excess of the posted speed limit does one cease to be safe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:25 
Suspended
Suspended

What's the harm in doing 71 on a motorway?"

Very little and of course even if the gatso's were on motorways they would not be set to flash at 71mph, the drivers that do 71MPh have posible drifted over and we all can do this however carefull, the danger comes from the morons who rather than drifting over by 1 or 2 MPH drive regularly at speeds of 10, 20 30MPH over the limit expecting others to just get out the way for them.

THERE is a vast difference between the two styles, many of the recent posts have been from people going 10mph + over the limit Most claim not to have seeee the speed limit sign, SPEED + POOR OBSERVATION = WHAT?? :lol: :lol:

As the prime-minister so often says, I refer you to my earlier reply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:09 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The PM is adept at spin and diversionary debate.

I might refer you to Robin's reply as, again, you didn't answer the question.