Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 22:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 18:02 
Site Admin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfo ... 009923.stm

Jail for 172mph Porsche motorist

The fastest driver ever caught in a routine speed check in the UK has been sentenced to 10 weeks in jail.

Timothy Brady, 33, of Earls Crescent, Harrow, north-west London, pleaded guilty at Oxford Crown Court to dangerous driving.

Brady was clocked at 172mph in a Porsche 911 Turbo in a 70mph zone on the A420 in Oxfordshire on 27 January.

He was banned from driving for three years and will have to take an extended driving test to get another licence.

He denied another charge of aggravated vehicle taking.

The court heard Brady had taken the Porsche from luxury car hire firm Helphire, where he worked as a delivery driver.

He had nagged his boss to let him drive the sports car and had been repeatedly told no, but the court heard Brady took the car out the next day.

Judge David Morton Jack said to Brady in court: "Your driving was criminally self-indulgent and utterly thoughtless of the danger you might be creating for the innocent."

Police have criticised Brady for travelling at such high speed.

Insp Martin Percival, of Thames Valley Police, said: "All road users share a great responsibility to others and need to realise that high speed increases the chance of failing to react to an emergency, let alone take sufficient action to resolve it."

Insp Percival said the 172mph speed equated to 77m per second.

Through his own selfishness, in what appears to be a lust for speed, he has completely disregarded the safety of others on the road
Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents spokesman

A spokesman for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (Rospa) said: "This was an absolutely terrifying piece of driving.

"Our roads are not race tracks or for breaking speed records.

"It is fortunate the police were there to take action before he ended up killing himself or someone else.

"Through his own selfishness, in what appears to be a lust for speed, he has completely disregarded the safety of others on the road."

Paul Smith of the Safe Speed Road Safety Campaign said: "Our official position is that we are worried that current speed enforcement policy based on cameras is ineffective, but this case is the exception that proves the rule.

"This is someone who was driving dangerously and it is important to distinguish between those who are a few miles over the limit and those who are driving dangerously.

"It is not the behaviour of a responsible motorist - dangerous driving is dangerous and should be punished," he said.

The previous highest speed recorded by a camera which resulted in a conviction was 156mph in 2003.

It involved Aberdeen car dealer Jason McAllister, driving on the A90 between Aberdeen and Dundee.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 18:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Judge David Morton Jack said to Brady in court: "Your driving was criminally self-indulgent and utterly thoughtless of the danger you might be creating for the innocent."

Police have criticised Brady for travelling at such high speed.

Insp Martin Percival, of Thames Valley Police, said: "All road users share a great responsibility to others and need to realise that high speed increases the chance of failing to react to an emergency, let alone take sufficient action to resolve it."

How do these comments square with the response to the Milton case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 22:15 

Paul, I must admit that I was a little surprised at your comments regarding this story. Didn't you say that there was a road near your house which was safe to drive at 150mph? I understood that it was your position that you could never make a judgment about safety from numerical speed alone. Maybe I understood wrong.

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 23:19 
Site Admin

bombus wrote:
Paul, I must admit that I was a little surprised at your comments regarding this story. Didn't you say that there was a road near your house which was safe to drive at 150mph? I understood that it was your position that you could never make a judgment about safety from numerical speed alone. Maybe I understood wrong.

He pled guilty to dangerous driving. Thus it has become a 'legal fact' that he was driving dangerously. The judgement has already been made.

In other circumstances I would have argued that numerical speed alone cannot be evidence of danger.

I didn't plan to quote on this story and Safe Speed didn't issue PR. But when I rang the BBC website to correct material facts I got drawn into a discussion which was quoted.