Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 20:43 
New User
New User

I regularly use the A34, A42, and A1 to visit my father in Newcastle, a 700 mile round trip. He has Alzheimers and is still being cared for in the community. The number of accidents I see where trucks just pull out to overtake another truck at a speed differential of 1-2 mph is frightening. If they dont cause an accident they hold up traffic flow while they overtake. I recorded 1 truck on the A34 Southbound that took 7 miles to overtake another unit!
Most of the pressure of Truck overtaking takes place on 2 lane highways on upward gradients. Providing Crawler Lanes on such sections is far cheaper than 3 lanes throughout, but would enable Trucks to maintain time slot deliveries but enable legislation to be passed to make the outside lane a no go area for Trucks as it is on 3 Lane highways.
Coaches should also not be allowed to use the outer lane on 3 lane highways too.
Personally I would also like to see Large White Vans banned from the outside lanes of motorways, to prevent them blocking the forward view of the road for car drivers. But that is probably a step too far as the vast majority of White Van Drivers travel far faster on motorways than the average car driver! Big Bob

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 08:58 
Life Member
Life Member

I agree, but is there a bias against having L1 & L2 (of a 3 lane) merge in this country?

There used to be a short section of 3 lane on a steep hill on the (DC) A303 and they got rid of it. I presume that numpties refusing to merge in turn were causing more jams than the extra lane solved.

Edit: 7 miles for one truck to overtake another? We've had debates about 'elephant races' before on here and there's a few truckers who will say something along the lines of "you just don't get it if you don't drive a lorry", but I would love to hear anyone justify that, as it's pure selfishness.

Oh and please don't ban my (137hp :twisted: ) Transit from the outside lane! I think TPTB have just imposed speed limiters on new 3.5+ tonne vans, I could see why you wouldn't want them in the outside lane....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 09:15 
New User
New User

Thanks for that. I certainly don't hog the middle lane. I move over to the inside lane whenerver there is a gap long enough to enable me in Police speak "to make good progress". I'm very happy with people (and White Vans) making good progress in the outside lane, providing they are going to make good progress and not just pass the middle lane at a snails pace.
Regards Big Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:42 
Life Member
Life Member

By the way:

:welcome:

Johnny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 14:21 
User

Johnnytheboy wrote:
it's pure selfishness.

agreed. i always drop a few mphs when im being passed. its not going to ruin my life to let the guy go

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 17:38 

Definitely something that is needed for the A14, a two lane dual carriageway going East - West from the M1, near Rugby to Ipswich.

I have been behind an elephant race for over 12 miles on that road, and then only escaped through turning off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 17:47 
Site Admin

scanny77 wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:
it's pure selfishness.

agreed. i always drop a few mphs when im being passed. its not going to ruin my life to let the guy go

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

I believe that that's the only solution. After all the other guy is going as fast as he can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 19:11 

Until we get rid of speed limiters, obviously...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 22:01 
Site Admin

Ziltro wrote:
Until we get rid of speed limiters, obviously...

Quite so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 13:40 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
scanny77 wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:
it's pure selfishness.

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

I believe that that's the only solution. After all the other guy is going as fast as he can.

its gone quiet Paul, did i shock them into silence? 'one of them agreeing that this is unacceptable' :shock: :? :? :?

:lol:

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject: Trucks "elephant racing"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 20:33 
User

In agree totally with "Scanny" as he has hit the nail on the head because as he says it doesn,t hurt to drop back a couple of mph to let the overtaking vehicle pull in front (this rule is also in the Highway code), but talking as a lorry driver with over 35 years experience it just doesn,t happen as there are a lot of drivers out there who have the beligerent attitude of "Thou Shalt Not Pass" and they get some perverse enjoyment out of holding you out in the outside lane.

What should have happened is the overtaking vehicle should have dropped back and pulled in behind the other vehicle (which is what I would have done) but I do find it hard to believe that this went on for 7 miles and you did nothing about it, possibly it may have seemed like 7 miles!

As for the thread about not letting coaches use the outside lane this law is in place already as if you notice COACHES are banned from using the outside lane of a m/way this law came in a couple of years ago when they were restricted to 64mph with speed limiters.

"He Who Ain,t Made Mistakes Ain,t Made Anything"

Spannernut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 20:57 
User

Stormin wrote:
I

What should have happened is the overtaking vehicle should have dropped back and pulled in behind the other vehicle (which is what I would have done) but I do find it hard to believe that this went on for 7 miles and you did nothing about it, possibly it may have seemed like 7 miles!

I have seen it too on the A34 going on for miles. What can you do about it?