Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 21:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 00:47 
New User
New User

I was looking for advice as to see what will happen regarding possible fine/points?

My situation is that:
I was driving back from work at about 1145pm, When i noticed a white van following me around a corner and up the road. At This point, my speedometer did not go over 33mph (this should mean i was actually going at 30/31 mph?, as they are overestimating a mph or 2?). The Van was about 75 yards away, and all of a sudden, it was right behind me. It followed me around a few streets, got onto the main road when blues n twos come on, so i pulled up thinking they had a call out, so they could get past me, next thing i know is thats hes stopped behind me. I turn engine off and get out of my car, and Mr policeman walks over to me and just says ' I believe your travelling to xxxxxxx' (He must have radioed my registration to station), and he started saying about how he felt i was going too fast for the floor conditions (a bit damp), and he said about how he was going 45mph to catch and maintain me up, and that i was therefore going at 40mph, or along them lines. At no point did i go above 33mph on the speedometer, before or after i saw the van after me, and as soon as i saw it following me, i slowed down to 27mph, to be on the safe side.
He didnt caution me, or make me go into his van or anything. He just said take it as a warning, didnt ask me for ID/Driving License or Insurance or anything and let me get on my way.

The attitude of this policeman was spot on and seemed sympathetic, but was there any need to pull me over going 32mph at midnight really?
Somewhere told me, they have to get so many forms filled out, and this was one more for them, if that's the case, then the police need to get sorted out!!

>> I was wondering if anyone knew weather i was to expect any further punishment such as fine/points?

(As Luck would have it, I went out somewhere, to return back around 5am, and on a 30mph main road, a lorry (Large Lorry) was doing some speed (50mph at least), caught up to me and then tried to over take me - If only a copper had seen that!!)

Its about time they stop focusing on us drivers that may go 31/32 by accident, and focus on all them taxi drivers that you spot going 50mph in the middle of day.
The last time i got in a taxi, it went along a main road (Sunday Dinnertime) at 55mph! And i bet he'll never be pulled up..

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 21:48 
User

So he admitted to driving at 45 mph and this without his blues and twos being used, until he pulled you up, whilst the road conditions where, according to his own estimation, poor. Yes. That makes a great deal of sense, officer. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 22:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Bobster wrote:
… and he started saying about how he felt i was going too fast for the floor conditions (a bit damp),

No bad thing.

Bobster wrote:
… and he said about how he was going 45mph to catch and maintain me up, and that i was therefore going at 40mph, or along them lines.

An officer, on his/her own (no witness), without an approved means of in-car speed measurement such as VASCAR or calibrated speedo, cannot charge a driver with exceeding a speed limit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 23:07 

smeggy wrote:
An officer, on his/her own (no witness), without an approved means of in-car speed measurement such as VASCAR or calibrated speedo, cannot charge a driver with exceeding a speed limit.

Except on a motorway...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 23:10 
User

11.45 at night, probably a cause of speeding / road conditions as an excuse to stop you, once your details had checked out etc on your way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 23:22 
User

He might have been bored. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 23:39 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ziltro wrote:
smeggy wrote:

Except on a motorway...?

I can't pretend I know where you're going with that. Could you elaborate?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 00:09 

smeggy wrote:
Ziltro wrote:
smeggy wrote:

Except on a motorway...?

I can't pretend I know where you're going with that. Could you elaborate?

I believe a single officer can do someone for exceeding a speed limit if it's on a motorway. Except in Scotland.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 00:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ziltro wrote:
I believe a single officer can do someone for exceeding a speed limit if it's on a motorway. Except in Scotland.

I don’t recall seeing anything like that; I could have missed it of course.

Can anyone confirm or link to the act?