It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 03:08 
Site Admin

On C4 at 8pm; C4+1 at 9pm
Repeated on: Tue 13 Nov, 2:00am, S4C
and Wed 14 Nov 9:00pm More4

Dispatches: Bottleneck Britain

Reporter Jason Barlow takes a road trip around the UK to gauge public opinion on the proposed Toll Tax, which offers a pay-as-you-drive solution to congestion. He explores different methods used to prevent gridlock over the past 10 years, and asks whether the freedom to drive must come at a price.

I filmed with them in London on speed cameras extensively about 10 days ago. As of this second, I have no idea how much, if any of the materials I filmed they are using. I do know that they loved what I was saying. The interview was well over 90 minutes.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 21:00 
Life Member
Life Member

Is everyone else getting a public-transport-themed Labour party broadcast just beforehand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 22:06 

What a disapointment. Captain Twatso instead of Paul

They really wanted to Dum Down the argument against speed cameras.

Someone had obviously read them the riot-act and put them straight about goverment policy.

Last edited by Dr L on Tue Nov 13, 2007 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 22:12 
Site Admin

What a travesty of truth.

Obviously I ended up on the cutting room floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 22:33 
Life Member
Life Member

Whilst the program was buttering up the idea of road pricing. 75% of it proved motorists dont trust the government.

I think it slightly helped motorists decide which side of the argument they fall. Hopefully more our side.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 22:37 
User

I thought that was crap...

it started out with something along the lines of a statement saying "the government has catagorically failed on transport"

the program then told us repeatedly how all the government had to do was "convince the motorist" road pricing works - as opposed to argue the side of the motorist that there should be a different solution entirely.

the morons they got for the road pricing test are the same sort of idiots (apart from van driver, who wasn't falling for any of it) who do the questionnaires... "yes, if money is spent on transport" - as if it would be!!!

I'm severely disappointed with that.

PS - "Captain Gatso" proved to be a bit of a twerp who didn't have a sensible argument for the destruction of speed cameras other than "my money!" - when faced with the question of law breaking he just stared... a wasted opportunity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 22:40 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
Obviously I ended up on the cutting room floor.

Made far more ridiculous given that the moron from RAC (King), who I was so frustrated with from the article on the C4 website, got about 10 minutes to air his pro-road pricing views on the whole situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 23:47 
Site Admin

Some might wonder at Edmund King's involvement. But the answer is here:

http://www.ukdrivetime.co.uk

The RAC foundation is planning to profit from a voluntary road pricing scheme called 'DriveTime'.

Makes me want to puke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 23:51 
Life Member
Life Member

"We got an academic expert on road pricing (who's probably got a bit of a vested interest in all this working) to construct a computer model that showed that everyone would be better off when road pricing was introduced.

As long as fuel tax was also reduced.

Except the courier.

And we didn't make him try and go on public transport, obviously. Just everyone else.

And we didn't make the audit manager mimic her multi-location day (that we mentioned earlier) on public transport.

And we didn't get any 'typical britons' on who just couldn't use public transport because it didn't exist for them"

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 23:56 
Site Admin

Johnnytheboy wrote:
"We got an academic expert on road pricing (who's probably got a bit of a vested interest in all this working) to construct a computer model that showed that everyone would be better off when road pricing was introduced.

Yeah, we'll all be better off in cloud cuckoo land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 00:14 
User

From that RAC website (DriveTime)
Quote:
"There is still a long and winding road to travel before the public will accept road pricing."

What is most frustrating whenver they talk about it is how it never even occurs to them to find a different solution. It's always a matter of figuring out a way to persuade the public to accept Road Pricing, never about looking at alternatives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 00:36 

In all this discussion about reducing road congestion and road pollution, why do we never hear about people using the internet to work from home, perhaps one or two days a week, so they don't have to drive to work so often.

Obviously not possible for some people, but I bet a good proportion of the workforce does not actually need to travel to the office every day to work effectively.

With modern communications it is possible to work almost anywhere, as Paul has shown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 08:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Edmund King stated that road pricing was inevitable. Thus all his arguments after that were valueless. It is not inevitable at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 08:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dr L wrote:
Obviously not possible for some people, but I bet a good proportion of the workforce does not actually need to travel to the office every day to work effectively.

I sort of agree but only as you have used "every day" in your statement.

In my experience as a boss, homeworking is much less effective than turning up to the office most days. If you have a specific report to finish then maybe a stay-at-home day is better but generally you can't beat the interactive experience of personal contact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 09:11 
User

What did you really expect? It is TV.

How did they conclude the programme? Something along the lines of "....on our increasingly congested roads........" Although not desperately aged I can recall that being the argument since I started driving in the late '70's. :roll:

I thought it was a pretty tiresome programme but was interested that they showed that the people of Singapore are apparently unwilling to fight astonishingly restrictive government demands, made far too much of the increasingly irrelevant 'Captain Gatso' (who surely only makes it onto our screens because the programme makers are always up for a figure for the viewer to laugh at) and hand picked four drivers to 'test' road pricing and made up some figures for what they might be charged which, apparently like the Singapore residents, they did not question.

The one good thing I would take from the programme is that I doubt the content has made anyone change their minds towards road pricing one jot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 09:35 
Life Member
Life Member

Shouldn't this be in the "Safe Speed NOT in the News and Media" section?

I'll get my coat :bunker:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:25 
User

Icandoit wrote:
The one good thing I would take from the programme is that I doubt the content has made anyone change their minds towards road pricing one jot.

I wouldn't be so sure. The program started with an anti-government stance critisising labour. For the next hour it changes it's mind on road pricing, and I imagine it changed an unfortunate amount of other minds too. When a program appears to change stance like that people will trust it more, and having 4 so very normal (and not take-what-they-give-us idiots) people as pleased test subjects would have helped them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:53 
User

mmltonge wrote:
Icandoit wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure. When a program appears to change stance like that people will trust it more, and having 4 so very normal (and not take-what-they-give-us idiots) people as pleased test subjects would have helped them

Well, how many people do you think watched it changed their minds because of the content of the programme?

Did anyone on this forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:20 
Site Admin

Icandoit wrote:
mmltonge wrote:
Icandoit wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure. When a program appears to change stance like that people will trust it more, and having 4 so very normal (and not take-what-they-give-us idiots) people as pleased test subjects would have helped them

Well, how many people do you think watched it changed their minds because of the content of the programme?

Did anyone on this forum?

Seeing as 'our minds' are such a huge complex balance of information, I'd say that everyone who watched could be expected to have 'changed their minds' by a fraction. For me it added a few tenths of a percent on the 'angry and mistrustful of large government schemes' quotients.

I dare say that some added a few percent on the 'it wouldn't be so bad' quotient. On balance, however I'd say that thinking people would have seen through it quite easily, adding half a percent or so onto the 'I don't trust the media' quotient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I changed from the RAC to the AA last month! Let your feet do the talking. Walk away. :wink: