Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Safe Speed (Redflex) US
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 21:40 
New User
New User

October 1st, 2007 a wonderful company called Redflex was introduced to my home town of Lafayette, Louisiana. They were allowed to amend city laws, violate our constitutional rights, and implement a system that causes a rise in traffic accidents. They called this death wish our "Safe Speed Program".

After doing some research I found that the United States was not the first target of this pestilence. It seems you guys have been fighting this for quite a while, so I turn to you for advice.

I have taken steps to inform the public by creating the site:

SafeSpeedLafayette.com

I have started a petition. I need 20,000 signatures for a referendum. We have reached 3000 signatures in a little over a month.

What I would like to ask you is this... Do you have any "Shocking" Statistics or information that I can present at the December City Council meeting? I really think this company has fooled our council into believing this program is all about safety. The council president knows it is clearly about money, but the district representatives are still indecisive.

Thanks for any information.

Taunto[at]SafeSpeedLafayette.com

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 22:45 
Site Admin

There's tons of information around the forums and on the main website. So much so that it's difficult to know where to start.

Perhaps the article in last Saturday's 'Daily Telegraph' is as good a place as any:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/mai ... xml&page=1

The bottom line is that the UK has been infested with speed cameras, and the road safety results have been absolutely dire. That's why we're here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 23:00 
User

Good luck with your fight.

Isn't it true local democracy when you know exactly what you have to do to be able to force a vote on a given issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 00:08 
User

Speedy wrote:
Isn't it true local democracy when you know exactly what you have to do to be able to force a vote on a given issue?

Shame we don't have the same luxury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 03:19 
New User
New User

Yes, I guess that is the luxury we have in this situation. If we reach 20,000 signatures they are forced to let the "People" vote. The government represents the people, so if the people are not happy (or at least x% of the registered voters) they are forced to give a reprimand. It's really ashame that less then 35% of the population votes, given this privilege.

I see you have gotten 28,000 signatures and basically mocked and ignored? How can that be a "Justice" system?

If we are lucky, in February 2008 the Supreme Court will rule on this "Safe Speed Program". If they rule it to be unconstitutional, then it becomes a country wide LAW making photo enforcement illegal.

These are my problems with the program:
1. It doesnt work. It makes NO sense. How is sending a ticket in the mail three weeks after a crime is commited going to affect me? Should we put cameras on guns and ticket those who commit murder instead of jailing them? What kind of logic would that be?

2. You are innocent until proven guilty
REDFLEX: You are guilty until proven innocent in court. You are forced to pay a fine if you challenge it in court. This goes against the entire constitution!

3. They have no way to prove you ever received the "Mail Notification". The letter is not certified meaning your neighbor could have received it and thrown it away. Redflex goes after your credit if not paid in 190 days.

A Redflex representative stated in front of the entire city council at a public meeting I attended: and I quote... "Our equipment fails 59% of the time, but 41% of the time works correctly".

We will continue to fight, and hopefully I'll find a few new punches to throw.

Taunto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Unfortunately over here our government do not represent the people and their wishes. They pretend to represent whichever demographic they feel will win them votes on any given day, whilst they really only represent themselves, grasping to retain power. They "know what is best" for us, and our opinions are irrelevant. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 16:47 
New User
New User

I would like to start a fund raiser and donation collection around the state. Once I collect enough money I would like to fly one of your best "Safe Speed" speakers to the States for a week (paid trip).

During this week we would hold press conferences, news reports, and attend a city council meeting.

I'm very serious about this, so if anyone would like to help end this please contact me through email,chat, or post here. Once I find a definite candidate , I will program a donation button on the site and start advertising on the radio and news. This will probably get national media coverage, so please expect this.

I will have lawyers, private investigators, and radio talk show host, & business owners eagerly awaiting your visit.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Taunto

WARNING: if you fall in love with the southern hospitality / food and gain 20 pounds on your trip, we are not liable :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 17:19 
Life Member
Life Member

Taunto wrote:
I see you have gotten 28,000 signatures and basically mocked and ignored? How can that be a "Justice" system?

A petition against the proposed national road toll scheme got 1.8 million, and the government still haven't ruled that out 100%.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 17:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

... and we have TV programmes extolling the vitues of road pricing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 17:35 
New User
New User

Quote:
A petition against the proposed national road toll scheme got 1.8 million, and the government still haven't ruled that out 100%

Is there no standard for legislation? All of our government documents must be made public, so we can freely access them. "Freedom of information act". I have the entire redflex contract posted on the site here:
http://www.safespeedlafayette.com/pdf/L ... ntract.pdf

Can you freely access government documentation?

Taunto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 18:53 

We don't have justice.
This is not a democracy.

Yes there is the Freedom of Information Act 2000, but it has exemptions which they use for the most interesting data.

The police are run by a limited company (ACPO Ltd.) so they are exempt from the Freedom of Information Act entirely.

Even if you do get an answer it will often be to a question similar but not the same as what you requested. Like I asked "were the speed limit signs correct?" they replied "the speed camera warning signs were correct".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 19:48 
Site Admin

Taunto wrote:
During this week we would hold press conferences, news reports, and attend a city council meeting.

I'm very serious about this, so if anyone would like to help end this please contact me through email,chat, or post here. Once I find a definite candidate , I will program a donation button on the site and start advertising on the radio and news. This will probably get national media coverage, so please expect this.

I would be up for that. I'd try to cram it into 2 or three days because I am busy and don't have time for a holiday.

I can do quality radio interviews from here via ISDN service. We have our own remote radio studio - although it is down right now, it should be working within a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:29 
User

[quote="SafeSpeedI would be up for that. I'd try to cram it into 2 or three days because I am busy and don't have time for a holiday.[/quote]

Following your recent visit to the hospital I, and I'm sure others will support me on this one, would strongly suggest that you make time for one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 01:03 
Site Admin

Try looking on the main website in the following areas :
Regression To The Mean (RTTM)
Cameras as a Distraction (Distance travelled when passing a camera)
LOADS on stats. that are indicating that at camera sites we are seeing an increase in accidents ! (Cameras cause accidents)
Then there is the Culture of Driving that is being altered, which is really serious.
Paul had all the figures - but they are here on the Safe Speed site... (use and quote the source please. :-)
That will get you going with some real big pointers ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:32 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Interesting isn’t it that Redflex seem to be running the show over there. I wonder if that’s what our CP’s are over here, it’s really the camera manufactures running the whole shebang but it’s disguised through the councils.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 23:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Taunto wrote:
October 1st, 2007 a wonderful company called Redflex was introduced to my home town of Lafayette, Louisiana. They were allowed to amend city laws, violate our constitutional rights, and implement a system that causes a rise in traffic accidents. They called this death wish our "Safe Speed Program".

After doing some research I found that the United States was not the first target of this pestilence. It seems you guys have been fighting this for quite a while, so I turn to you for advice.

I have taken steps to inform the public by creating the site:

SafeSpeedLafayette.com

I have started a petition. I need 20,000 signatures for a referendum. We have reached 3000 signatures in a little over a month.

What I would like to ask you is this... Do you have any "Shocking" Statistics or information that I can present at the December City Council meeting? I really think this company has fooled our council into believing this program is all about safety. The council president knows it is clearly about money, but the district representatives are still indecisive.

Thanks for any information.

Taunto[at]SafeSpeedLafayette.com

Hec Taunto!

Only just read this.

In brief, I love America. I worked there for two years doing stuff, about which I cannot go into detail, to protect your country on a 'as needed to know' basis ;)

I think you would get on well with a poster here called 'The Rush' from The Big Apple.

I've nothing to offer you except my sincerest wishes that your common sense and goal wins over stupidity. :thumbsup:

Don't become a stranger! I'd like to know the outcome.

I know all the words to your national anthem BTW, but not my own - and for good reason :(

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 08:24 
Life Member
Life Member

I have been reading about your battle on google allerts (they come up was I have one set for our "safeSpeed" and also on thenewspaper.com. All I can say is keep up the good work.

The shocking stastistic for me was that with proper policing , the UK was the safest place to drive in europe. Sunce we adopted a camera policy we have dropped to 7th behind countries we have littlerespect for (in safety terms).

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code