It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TV alert: The Chief
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:28 
User

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/listings/pr ... 2_29506_40

The Chief
Tue 27 Nov, 10:35 pm - 11:15 pm 40mins

Richard Brunstrom, Britain's most controversial Chief Constable, is caught on camera in an exclusive documentary.

BBC1 Wales (available throughout the UK via digital satellite). The trailers of this programme show "that" press conference (the one with the biker's decapitated head), and members of the press questioning whether or not the deceased's family had granted their permission for that image to be shown.

I've no idea if Safespeed or Paul are going to be mentioned in it, but it's a "fly-on-the-wall" documentary.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 02:49 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I don't understand that - it seems to conflict with the Cliff Morgan thing - same time, same channel? :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 02:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Will a version be available to UK TV Licence payers who do not receive BBC Wales?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 16:00 
User

RobinXe wrote:
Will a version be available to UK TV Licence payers who do not receive BBC Wales?

Doubtful, other than

the-gog wrote:
BBC1 Wales (available throughout the UK via digital satellite)

as it's essentially a version of our politics programme "Dragon's Eye". Having said that, it might be available to download via the BBC iPlayer program, if you can tolerate the dreadful user interface and generally rather c**p software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 00:32 
Life Member
Life Member

I recorded this and can post dvd if needed.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 13:46 

Did anyone see it?

The man is barking.

I actually felt a little sorry for him, he's clearly utterly dillusional a tragic figure of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 13:54 
User

civil engineer wrote:
Did anyone see it?

The man is barking.

I actually felt a little sorry for him, he's clearly utterly dillusional a tragic figure of fun.

Yes. I also recorded it and am in the process of converting it to an MP4 file for safekeeps. It's being repeated tonight 21:45 on BBC2W (BBC2 Wales on digital platforms).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Set the Sky+ for the second showing, and just had the pleasure of watching it.

I am frankly appalled at the hypocrisy of the man. This is the individual who tarred speeders with the same brush as murderers when he asserted that drifting over the speed limit was like drifting a knife into someone. Not 10 minutes into 'The Chief' and he's pulled a van driver for exceeding the speed limit for the vehicle type by fully 10mph and, after a brief repartee with the driver for the camera (in the style of Alan Partridge), sends him on his way with a 'go safely', before commenting to the camera that in many cases that's the right approach. Really?! Would drifting a knife into someone elicit the same response from him do we think?! Do the multitudes captured on his legion of fixed and mobile cameras have any chance to benefit from the same professional discretion and proportionate response he was able to show the van driver? Fat chance!

Another telling segment was his 'ranting session' with his deputy. The pair of them seem more concerned with their public image, be it the press or the Chief's blog, than actually making North Wales a safer place to be. He is a perfect partner for the DfT in the speed camera debacle, as they are both clearly more concerned with being seen to be right than with making the roads safer.

The final thing that leapt out at me from the show was that in all the segments from within an 'Arive Alive' (sic) van, not once was the operator's speed readout showing above 30mph. These are supposed to be trained professionals who form prior opinion that is merely corroborated by the equipment. Furthermore, in one segment it is clear to see that the operator has aligned the device in such a way as to catch vehicles the instant they round the bend, adding to the falsity of the claims of visible deterrent as well as prior opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 08:08 
Life Member
Life Member

I to was amazed by the van incident. because face to face it was the "on your way" approach. But by camera they would have thrown all the resources of the CPS at him.

NOTE: The arrive alive camera operator was not using the lti scope , but the TV screen.

In their rant they winged about MP's being parachuted in English lawyers. He thinks he's welsh because he got an A'level in welsh!

He walks the mountains like he is the King Of Wales (sorry Charlie you are only the prince)

He blogs because he can't control the press.

he is a control freak.
he runs the force like its his big train set. Not professional, just a hobby.

PS: If they offered him the met he would be off like a shot to learn cockney and the big horse song)

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 14:35 
User

anton wrote:
NOTE: The arrive alive camera operator was not using the lti scope , but the TV screen.

Did anyone notice that the van was parked dangerously and blocking the view for anyone wanting to pull out of that lane onto the main road? It would've caused Brunstrom problems when he wanted to leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 17:40 
Life Member
Life Member

The van also obstructed a very usefull directional road sign that might have warned you of that junction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 18:29 
User

anton wrote:
The van also obstructed a very usefull directional road sign that might have warned you of that junction

Ah no, I was referring to the lane where Brunstrom parked his Volvo.