Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 22:04 
Life Member
Life Member

Just heard the tragic news now.

My sincere condolences to Claire, family and friends.

RIP Paul, you were, and will remain, a great and courageous man and you will be sorely missed.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 22:12 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

i met Paul once, he never knew who i was, a man of principle

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 22:25 
User

I only recently joined the forum, mainly because of the depth and breadth of Paul's intellect in presenting his case.

I'm shocked by this news, and offer my condolences to those left behind.

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 22:32 
User

no more to add than these words.
a sad day for all involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 22:43 

I've just found out on PH as I've not been on here for while.

My deepest condolences. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 22:45 
User

Truly shocked. Very saddened to learn this. A sad loss to the world.

RIP Paul. You will never be forgotten. Nor will your work or legacy to common sense road safety values.

My deepest and heartfelt condolences to Claire and Paul's family.

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 22:54 
User

So sad to lose a true man of principle - who stood up and fought for what he knew to be right.

I never met Paul, unfortunately, but I truly believe he has done more for real road safety than many so-called "experts".

To say he will be missed is the understatement of the century.

I know he took a fairly dim view of religion, but I will be lighting a candle for him on Sunday, and he and Claire will be in my thoughts and prayers.

God rest his soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 23:08 
User

Yokel wrote:
So sad to lose a true man of principle - who stood up and fought for what he knew to be right.

I never met Paul, unfortunately, but I truly believe he has done more for real road safety than many so-called "experts".

To say he will be missed is the understatement of the century.

I know he took a fairly dim view of religion, but I will be lighting a candle for him on Sunday, and he and Claire will be in my thoughts and prayers.

God rest his soul.

So will we. Be remembering him in our prayers and thoughts in each service we attend. I shall certainly light a candle for him on Sunday and at the moment of his commital.. I shall make time to stop what I am doing and remember him.

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 23:15 
User

Im very saddened to hear this. I first posted on this site a few years ago after hearing Paul on the radio. Ive only just come back to the site in the last couple of weeks and only heard him on the radio a week or so ago. His insightfull and tireless campaigning and the support he has, sets an example to all that a few can make a difference.

RIP Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 23:25 
User

I don't know what to say apart from RIP Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 23:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm shocked and saddened.
My condolences to Paul's family and friends.
RIP Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 00:18 
User

I am deeply saddened and shocked to hear this news.

Claire - my sincerest condolences to you. For the record - Paul's sincerity in hs campaign shone through and it was this sheer sincerity, and outspoken common sense which made blokes like me sit up, listen and accept the logic and merit in his work to date.

His work was "peer reviewed" by the way .. by the ordinary motoring peer groups who do not warrant more than a "sternish look from a policeman" but who fell foul of the speed camera.

On the button (or should I say speed cam "zap button" ) with the RTTM logic in his argument to the speed camera partnerships and fully understanding that the policy was hatching a very different type of driver.. the "manipulator" who only looks for the cams and glues his eye on the dash when he sees one too.

He was well liked and respected - even by those professsionals who did not agree with him.

From all in this patch up here - RIP Paul. You were respected as a worthy voice on road safety issues.

A much respected and well liked character amongst his road expert peers - some of whom wear policemen's blue serge and some who strive to improve as constant as enthusiasts and the rest who have the experience of just years of very safe driving styles without any major incident - along with those who got hot under the collar when he exposed the flaws in their arguments..

Paul - you were one hell of a guy and I :bow: to your memory. RIP mate and like the Mad Cats - I will drink a toast to your memory.. light a candle and think of you - driving at warp speed up in heaven.

To Claire .. take care and please mail me if you need a friendly shoulder to cry on.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 00:21 

Since hearing this terrible news a couple of hours ago I've been dreading making this post.

I had the very great privelege of meeting Paul on two occasions. A couple of years ago we passed an extremely convivial evening when he dropped in at my house on his way north; then just a few weeks ago he and Claire called in for lunch at my sandwich shop.

It is absolutely typical of Paul that within hours he had sent me a lengthy e-mail suggesting all manner of useful ways in which I could further promote my business and build on its success; and generously offering his time if I needed any help; all this despite his own punishing workload and of course his health issues.

Meanwhile there was the "Safespeed" persona of Paul Smith. The dogged, pugnacious, uncompromising stalwart fighting a battle against seemingly impossible odds; yet gradually winning, because of his tireless work, his painstaking logical anaylsis, his apparently unstoppable optimism, and most of all his enthusiasm for fighting for the loftiest of causes: quite simply to save lives.

It is sad that the true extent of the contribution he made remains largely unappreciated, but I feel sure that in time it will become known, that one day it will be realised that he left a legacy of lives saved. I don't have it to hand, but a poem by Wilfrid Owen spoke of "Greater wars, where man fights death for lives, not men for flags". Paul was such a warrior.

Rest in peace Paul.

John Thornley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 00:32 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
"Greater wars, where man fights death for lives, not men for flags".

:smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 00:33 

I am stunned and saddened by this news.

Paul's dedication to common-sense debate of road safety issues was astounding. He was truly one in a million. A man who made a difference.

My thoughts go out to Paul's family at this difficult time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 00:58 

I too would just like to add my condolences. I have only just seen this now and was deeply shocked and saddened.

To me, Paul and his SafeSpeed site represented the "thinking man's" opposition to current enforcement practice and, although initially somewhat sceptical of some of his claims, I became more drawn to his arguments as time went by and the road casualty figures didn't change the way the government and camera partnerships were suggesting they would.

I have learned a lot from here - not just Paul but from the many others who regularly post here and I guess we owe it to him to continue what he has started. It takes a great deal of courage to give up a particular lifestyle in order to follow one's convictions. He was one who was prepared not only to put his money but his entire life where his mouth was.

My sincere condolences to Claire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:04 
User

JT wrote:
Since hearing this terrible news a couple of hours ago I've been dreading making this post.

I had the very great privelege of meeting Paul on two occasions. A couple of years ago we passed an extremely convivial evening when he dropped in at my house on his way north; then just a few weeks ago he and Claire called in for lunch at my sandwich shop.

It is absolutely typical of Paul that within hours he had sent me a lengthy e-mail suggesting all manner of useful ways in which I could further promote my business and build on its success; and generously offering his time if I needed any help; all this despite his own punishing workload and of course his health issues.

It speaks volumes of the man behind safespeed. One who sincerely cared about others

I think this is what I saw shining through the background of all his posts.

Quote:
Meanwhile there was the "Safespeed" persona of Paul Smith. The dogged, pugnacious, uncompromising stalwart fighting a battle against seemingly impossible odds; yet gradually winning, because of his tireless work, his painstaking logical anaylsis, his apparently unstoppable optimism, and most of all his enthusiasm for fighting for the loftiest of causes: quite simply to save lives.

It is sad that the true extent of the contribution he made remains largely unappreciated, but I feel sure that in time it will become known, that one day it will be realised that he left a legacy of lives saved. I don't have it to hand, but a poem by Wilfrid Owen spoke of "Greater wars, where man fights death for lives, not men for flags". Paul was such a warrior.

Rest in peace Paul.

John Thornley

Quote:
The Next War
War's a joke for me and you,
Wile we know such dreams are true.
Siegfried Sassoon

Out there, we've walked quite friendly up to Death,-
Sat down and eaten with him, cool and bland,-
Pardoned his spilling mess-tins in our hand.
We've sniffed the green thick odour of his breath,-
Our eyes wept, but our courage didn't writhe.
He's spat at us with bullets and he's coughed
Shrapnel. We chorussed when he sang aloft,
We whistled while he shaved us with his scythe.

Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
We laughed at him, we leagued with him, old chum.
No soldier's paid to kick against His powers.
We laughed, -knowing that better men would come,
And greater wars: when each proud fighter brags
He wars on Death, for lives; not men, for flags.

I am sure he will be regarded as having spoken up for the ordinary man eventually.

Accidents? We are humans - we have indivuduals who.. commit crimes .. can be very unpleasant and stupid .. and we are also "accident-prone"

Oh sure - police officers cannot be everywhere - but they move around whereas a speed cam (unless it happens to be the only one in Durham :wink:) stays in the same place and folk slow for the cam and that's the only thing it actually does :roll: in term of "safety". It's why my old guv and current guv keep our RPU as it is "tried/tested and true" .. but .. I am not going to deny we are accident or KSI -free as this is not possible given we are all daft human beings at base :roll: - but we are consistently below the average and we do try to keep it that way. It's no accident that we prosecute more for other traffic offences than "speeding" ...and if you like - a strong RPU demonstrates the value of Paul's stance and dogged outspoken-ness.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:32 

:( My condolences, Claire...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just signed in and had the ground pulled from under me, it's almost impossible to believe.

I never had the privilege of meeting him or Claire, but feel as if I know them anyway. He will be sorely missed.

My heart-felt condolences.

Josh Greenwold

Licat volare si super tergum aquila volat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:40 

Claire, please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of Paul, and many thanks for all that you have done for him and been for him.

I never met Paul, but feel as though I knew him very well, and I now feel very sad. SafeSpeed and Paul have formed an important part of my life, and I always look forward to my daily "fix" of this forum.

Paul was greatly respected and admired and I am honoured to have known him. He will live on through his campaign. A truly great man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next