Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Safe Speed in Wikipedia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 13:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SafeSpeed Quite a short entry (didn't bother including the links).
Quote:
SafeSpeed
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

SafeSpeed is a UK based road safety organisation, which campaigns against the current policy in that country of enforcing technical speed limits rigidly as a means of improving road safety.

Founded by Paul Smith, the organisation believes that it is more important to set a Safe Speed for the current conditions. This is very likely most of teh time not the same thing as the speed limit. Smith believes that the UK government's current policy towards speed enforcement is actually making road safety worse by removing drivers' concentration from the road.

External links
SafeSpeed Exposing the great speed camera con trick

Links to Safe Speed, as well Pepipoo and other anti-camera groups, also appear at the bottom of Wikipedia's speed cameras page. The Swedish one gave me a laugh, but I'm in a toilet humour sort of mood today.

Edit: :oops: nearly forgot. The Partnerships have a page too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_Camera_Partnership
Quote:
Safety Camera Partnership
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Safety Camera Partnership is a state-sponsored company in the United Kingdom sponsored and supported by the state to encourage accident reduction techniques. The only techniques they use are speed cameras and (in a few cases only) red light cameras. In what many see as a sort of Orwellian new speak, these are referred to as Safety Cameras.

The primary focus of this is on reducing the speed of vehicles, without any consideration for other factors. Indeed, a little known fact is that the Safety Camera Partnerships can only invest money back into the operating costs of cameras, and the only additional safety measures are speed awareness (ie advertising on speed alone) and the installation of new cameras.

Hence the name Safety *Camera* Partnership.

Camera Partnerships, and their reliance on detecting speed above the posted limit as the sole means of reducing accidents, are extremely contraversial. The UK government has recently stopped all partnerships from placing any more cameras until an investigation takes place into their effectiveness.

Supporters say that speed is the cause of about one third of accidents, and reducing speeds is the key to saving lives.

Critics say that accidents have not reduced since 2001 when the partnership scheme started up. They say that inappropriate speed for the conditions is a bigger problem than merely exceeding the technical speed limit, so the cameras do little good. Partnerships are accused of being notorious for abusing statistical anomolies (such as regression to the mean) and using political spin to justify their enforcement.

There is a growing suspicion that the UK speed camera network actually leads to more road deaths and injuries, because the distraction effect of the cameras outweighs any safety benefit from lower speeds. This view is especially held by the road safety group SafeSpeed.

Camera Partnerships are also contraversial because the way they are set up is seen as an abuse of process. The partnerships include local police, prosecutors, and the courts, so justice is seen to be undermined.

External links
SafeSpeed Exposing the great speed camera con trick
Pepipoo.com Helping the motorist get justice

Loved the comment about Orwellian Newspeak. Okay, hands up who put that there. :lol:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:04 
Life Member
Life Member

I started the article but lately it's been changed by critics (well one critic anyway).

If anyone has a chance could they try to help me restore the balance a bit, It's a bit of an uphill stuggle on my own. Anyone can edit it, but please try to keep the tone 'point of view neutral' as that is a Wikipedia policy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 14:17 
User

Sorry to drag up an old topic, and it may be distasteful at this sad time, but I have had to start moderating this wiki article as it was rife with vandalism. There have been recent edits made making light of recent events, the users responsible will be warned and then banned from Wikipedia if such things continue.

There are many claims in the article that require citations (you can see where they are needed). If anybody could provide the relevant web links I would be happy to insert them. They would appear in the references link at the foot of the page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 14:26 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Parrot of Doom wrote:
Sorry to drag up an old topic, and it may be distasteful at this sad time, but I have had to start moderating this wiki article as it was rife with vandalism. There have been recent edits made making light of recent events, the users responsible will be warned and then banned from Wikipedia if such things continue.

There are many claims in the article that require citations (you can see where they are needed). If anybody could provide the relevant web links I would be happy to insert them. They would appear in the references link at the foot of the page.

Many thanks for this offer. I will have a look at this as soon as I can. I am sure others will too. Can I suggest comments go here for PoD to note? If sanyone has Wiki accounts, of course by all means post in there.

Is the vandal spindrift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 14:40 
User

The vandal's IP is recorded in the history page for the article. I have no idea who it is but you can do a Whois IP search. The mods here will know if the IP matches anyone banned from here.

If you wish to see what the vandalism was, use the 'compare' feature in the history page (example - http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =177953446)

Please note that the article must be unbiased. Wikipedia is a platform for knowledge, not for opinions. If anyone makes an edit that cannot be verified it may be removed - hence my request for links from the safespeed site so I can remove the 'citation needed' tags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 17:37 
User

Parrott that's excellent work. I saw the article two days ago when it was rife with insults and comments from pro-speed camera persons who were ruining the point of Wikipedia. Well done on sorting it all out - top job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 03:51 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I've added a few citations...