Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 14:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Professional driver
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:17 
User

As you say you are neither you are a "professional driver" but so am I mate but I had to learn before becoming a "professional driver" that is why after 35 years I am still learning something new every day but am still (in my view) a professional driver cos I was brought up on the old basis of you "learn your profession" and I am also still of the old school of in them days you were a "Wagon Driver" and old habits die hard. :wink: :wink: :roll: :roll:

In every profession nobody knows everything even when they think they do and that is not a derogatory comment to you.

I am still a "wagon driver" at heart but I don,t knock anyone who uses the term "professional driver" but to some people you are on the bottom of the labour scale as they don,t recognise the responsibility of driving up to 44 tonnes around the country they think of you as a labourer (no insult intended to labourers) they think it is a piece of cake!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:

Ad Infinitum :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) :roll: :roll:

"He Who Ain,t Made Mistakes Ain,t Made Anything"

Spannernut

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Professional driver
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 17:32 
User

Stormin wrote:
that is why after 35 years I am still learning something new every day

anyone who says they know it all is egotistic mate. i know i will always be learning as long as i am driving. one day i might even learn how to reverse an artic. at the moment, i just 'do it' and then wonder how i did it :lol:

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject: Learnong new skills
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 19:11 
User

Well done mate 8-) 8-) :D :D nice to see someone who can accept they are learning all the time the same as me! :roll: :roll:

Never be to ashamed to ask for help as we don,t know everything but it is nice to know I am not alone in thinking I haven,t got all the answers even after 35 + years :wink: :wink: :wink: .

Two things I have learned over the years whenever possible try and reverse on your own side even if you have to go a mile down the road to turn round (it is a lot easier reversing on your own side) :roll: :roll: :roll: & if you have to make someone wait for you to reverse in to a space or on to a bay tuff luckto them better to take it slowly than to have an accident :D :D :roll: :roll:

As my old boss used to say take it steady and better to be 10 minutes late in this world than 10 years early for the next one cos he ain,t spoke to anyone who has come back yet! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Spannernut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 18:46 
User

professional and smart arse are 2 different things mate. i dont always get it bang on first time. i do make mistakes and note them. i am not ashamed to admit it as well as admitting that i will get out and have a look before reversing if needs be or ask someone to watch me. i dont care. my job is to get the truck and trailer out and back safely. thats what i do. in 2 years of driving with a trailer, not a single scratch nor failed delivery due to not being able to get it in. i dont care what onlookers think (drivers do watch each other backing in :roll: ) when i am reversing. sometimes i get it spot on, sometimes i dont. the point is that i get it in safely and thats what its all about.

i will admit to enjoying the odd occasion when i can feel an experienced drivers eyes on me when im doing something tricky and i get it absolutely perfect without a shunt. i know damn well that they are thinking 'you have no chance kid' and i do get a feeling of satisfaction when i can look back and think 'yes chance kid' :lol:

SSAFA supporter

Post subject: Reversing in Tight spots
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 20:40 
User

Good on you "Scanny" :wink: :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: as you say never mind how long it takes to get it in a tight spot the main thing is to hell with the time as long as you don,t have a bump as no boss will thank you for getting there early and having an accident to do it cos it costs the company & insurers money & downtime it is not a case of being a "Company Driver" as some say it is purely taking a pride in doing the job right and professionally! :( :( :cry: :cry: :oops: :oops:

I often wish there were more drivers out there who thought that way then we wouldn,t be watching the news like the past couple of days with wagons in serious and or fatal accidents and I must admit it saddens me to think that some poor person has said goodbye to their family in the morning only to come back home in a coffin (through no fault of their own) !!!!!!! :( :( :(

As they say "There but for the Grace of God go I" as I like to think when I say ta ta to my petal in the morning I will also be saying (and meaning) I will see you later tonight or tomorrow after an overnight stay! :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :) :) :D :D

Spannernut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 15:30 
User

velcar wrote:
Hello Folks,
Have been driving LGV Class 1 for 24 yrs
The past year on nights full time
The best time of the day :wink:

We call you lot "pale face" coz you never see the sun!

I had a 44t continental road train twin sleeper eps 2 gearbox, merc mega space.
Sold it a year ago.

(artic drivers are scared of roadtrains, wooses!!)

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 14:13 
User

one of these

this particular one put mercedes from bottom of the list to the top. the truck i have dreaded driving (and managed to avoid so far) is the cheesey object next to it.

its a shame my journeys in the actros are few and far between :(

SSAFA supporter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 22:55 
New User
New User

Bit disapointed there's nothing for bus drivers like. Still I drive big vehicles so I suppose trucks are the nearest things like.

Post subject: Driving Buses
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:23 
User

Nothing wrong with driving buses mate you are a "professional driver" just like the rest of us the only difference is your load gets on and off by itself :!: :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

Spannernut

Post subject: Re: Driving Buses
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 21:50 
New User
New User

Stormin wrote:
Nothing wrong with driving buses mate you are a "professional driver" just like the rest of us the only difference is your load gets on and off by itself :!: :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

Aye cheers mate. Some of my old lorry driver friends tried to talk me into becoming a truck driver, but it didn't appeal to me.

Post subject: Truck Driving
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 14:16 
User

On this one mate I am also a qualified PSV driver ( from way back when!) and it is a job I could not cope with and I support any one who is a bus driver wholeheartedly as I could not put up with the general public giving me earache all day long :roll: :roll: :roll:

We all have a job to do and as you say truck driving doesn,t appeal too you but you are obviously happy at what you do so good luck to you mate (we can,t all be wagon drivers) as it is just the thought of working in a dogs paradise stopping at every lampost that is not my idea of earning a living as I say you have the advantage of your load getting on & off by itself each time you stop :roll: :roll: :roll:

Spannernut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 21:02 
User

Anyone seen Scanny of late ?

He seems to have disappeared completely.

I'm starting to suspect he was the lgv driver who lost his life on the A14 last month.

Post subject: "Scanny" missing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 21:34 
User

On this one I haven,t seen any posts either from "scanny" but you could try WWW.trucknetuk and WWW.truckersworld mate.

I hope he is ok as he used to put some good posts on this and other forums.

Spannernut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 09:36 
User

I got a PM off him at the begining of December.

Post subject: Scanny gone AWOL!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 17:53 
User

I posted a thread on another site and some a******* said something to the effect I was a) a stalker or b) (even worse) some kind of perv! :x :x :x for asking where is "Scanny" as another post thought he had been involved in a fatal accident on the A14 in early Dec. :( :( :( :roll: :roll: :roll:

Good news is (it seems) he is alive and kicking as someone had a txt off him in early Jan. so he is either texting from through a psychic or the almighty up above or as seems to be the case still in the land of the living :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spannernut

Post subject: Re: Scanny gone AWOL!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 19:09 
User

Stormin wrote:
I posted a thread on another site and some a******* said something to the effect I was a) a stalker or b) (even worse) some kind of perv! :x :x :x for asking where is "Scanny" as another post thought he had been involved in a fatal accident on the A14 in early Dec. :( :( :( :roll: :roll: :roll:

Good news is (it seems) he is alive and kicking as someone had a txt off him in early Jan. so he is either texting from through a psychic or the almighty up above or as seems to be the case still in the land of the living :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't Trucknet was it? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:16 
User

I got a PM from him today. He's fine.

Post subject: Scanny gone AWOL
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:32 
User

Glad to hear he is ok as I have had some good responses from posts from him in the past. :) :) :)

Nothing wrong in asking after someones health etc. if they haven,t posted for a while but some idiots seem to think there is an ulterior motive, it just shows how small minded some people can be :!: :!: :!: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think it was "Trucknet" as you say, as I am on Trucknet & Truckersworld as well and as I said it was someone asking about him purely because this person hadn,t like others heard from him for a while (not like "Scanny" that) and thought he may have been involved in an accident. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hopefully he will be back in the future giving us the efforts of his wisdom again :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Spannernut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:56 
User

What's your ID on truckersworld?

I registered on TN but never actually posted. I used to be quite active on TW, until it was suggested that because I'm not actually a truck driver, my opinions don't count... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 22:26 
User

so it was u asking on trucknet? I spotted that tonight and appreciated both the post and some of the replies. My problems are not caring what any1 thinks of me combined with openly controversial views. Some people dont like me for these reasons. I see that as their problem, not mines! The reason i havent been around is purely technical. A minor fault with the digital tv turned into loss of all service hence im on my mobile now. If any1 needs me, i think Sixy would be kind enough to txt me or give my number out. Thanks again :D

SSAFA supporter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next