Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 16:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sixy_the_red wrote:
Its not un-PC if it's true, is it? :roll: :D

Well, I have to quote Rigpig here, (Hope you don't mind Rigpig but it cracked me up - still does :lol: )

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.!!

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 16:37 
Life Member
Life Member

Valle Crucis wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
BUT I KNOW that if I come across someone who's dawdling or being overly hesitant it's likely that its a woman.

Yet they get cheaper insurance because women represent less risk than blokes do. Could these traits be related to that?

It could be because they do lower mileage?

There was a report posted on here not too long ago about usage of rural roads (iirc) which split use into over 25, under 25, male, female etc. The percentage figure for women users was quite low as I remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 16:43 
Life Member
Life Member

Johnnytheboy wrote:
Oh yeah, I always fiddle around with the various occupations that approximate mine and Mrs Theboy's until the quote is minimised.

Despite our jobs being very different, "contracts manager" seems to aptly describe both.... and get a cheap quote!

On sample quotes for the same car

Network controller (Computer) £400
Computer Engineer £405
Computer Analyst £411

My job title is Network Administrator and I have used Computer Engineer in the past but my wife found the Network controller one when renewing her insurance (I am named driver) so guess what I will be using from now on? It is a much better fit for my job anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 16:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, if I can remove my PC hat for a moment. As a generalisation, whenever I have been in the car with a woman I think they are much more cautious than men. I usually have to bite my lip at an island for instance because they are waiting for a gap the size of Watford :) I used to say to an ex "you could have gone then" and she would say "I want to be sure".

Fair enough says I.

But the thing that used to make me smile is this, and I swear it's true: After waiting and missing the bigger gaps she would end up taking a smaller gap than the ones she didn't take. What's that about?

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 17:23 
Life Member
Life Member

Valle Crucis wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
BUT I KNOW that if I come across someone who's dawdling or being overly hesitant it's likely that its a woman.

Yet they get cheaper insurance because women represent less risk than blokes do. Could these traits be related to that?

I believe that it is true that women have less accidents on average than men, but that they have very marginally more per mile, the difference being due to the fact that the average man does a higher mileage than the average woman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 17:40 
User

Valle Crucis wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

Actually it was me that said that...

Lets think outside the box here for a moment. (and this was the point of what I was saying about accident statistics being the only information available to insurers). Do you have to be involved in an accident to be dangerous on the roads? How many accidents are caused be motorists who aren't actually caught up? Take mrs 10mph on the M32 - as far as her insurance is concerned she's probably a model driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 17:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't think so Sixy because insurance companies try to find who is culpable.

Regardless of what speed or situation their only interest is, in effect, who is the bad driver - not the slowest driver or one who didn't get caught up in the melee.

If someone causes an accident doing 10 mph on a motorway, unless there is a good reason for it, she would still be at fault.

Have I missed something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:05 
Banned
Banned

toltec wrote:

Computer Engineer £405
Computer Analyst £411

Try this... just put in the exact same details a day or two apart. Sometimes, the algorithm that implements the business model detects that you have visited before but didn't buy. The fact that you are revisiting means (to the business model author, that is) that you are interested, but unconvinced. So they give you, say, a 5% discount to tempt you. This has happened to me once or twice in the past. Give it a go and see how you get on - you may save the price of a takeaway Chinese dinner!

PS: and keep a printout of the original quote so, if it goes up, you can get them to give you the cheapest. This happened once as well, and I had to phone them to force them to keep their pledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My work collegue, advanced driver and good egg, just told me that the colour of your car can affect it too. Something about red cars are more likely to be in a RTA than blue or something..??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:35 
Life Member
Life Member

Valle Crucis wrote:
toltec wrote:

Computer Engineer £405
Computer Analyst £411

Try this... just put in the exact same details a day or two apart. Sometimes, the algorithm that implements the business model detects that you have visited before but didn't buy. The fact that you are revisiting means (to the business model author, that is) that you are interested, but unconvinced. So they give you, say, a 5% discount to tempt you. This has happened to me once or twice in the past. Give it a go and see how you get on - you may save the price of a takeaway Chinese dinner!

PS: and keep a printout of the original quote so, if it goes up, you can get them to give you the cheapest. This happened once as well, and I had to phone them to force them to keep their pledge.

I have done that in the past, though not deliberately, sometimes the quotes go up. The saving for me in the above is pretty marginal, the problem is you never know until you try.

As it happens I have been with the same insurer for several years, while they are not always the cheapest they are seldom far off and proved very effective on the one claim I have made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:43 
Life Member
Life Member

Big Tone wrote:
My work collegue, advanced driver and good egg, just told me that the colour of your car can affect it too. Something about red cars are more likely to be in a RTA than blue or something..??

Is that about the type of driver that likes to buy a red car or other drivers reactions to red cars I wonder.

I have both btw. But would never buy a silver car.

Still, wandering off topic; crw seems to have given up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

toltec wrote:

I would because the yobs tend not to take a key down the side of silver ones as much because it doesn't show up very well. A scratch shows up much better on a black car, as I found out to my cost -several times :furious:

How pathetic that we have to think of these things in this cuntry. :idea:

Is this a record for the biggest longest topic drift? :hehe:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:53 
User

I hearby declare the formation of the official SafeSpeed Hijackers Guild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:53 
Life Member
Life Member

Big Tone wrote:
toltec wrote:

I would because the yobs tend not to take a key down the side of silver ones as much because it doesn't show up very well.

Is this a record for the biggest longest topic drift? :hehe:

Which is why, though in a different sense, I do not like silver. If there is a car I miss seeing on the first scan it is more often silver than any other finish, I used to notice the same with the pale gold Mercs, they are not very common now though.

I quite fancy having a go at drifting ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:40 
Banned
Banned

Big Tone wrote:

Are Scotland and Wales still "Countries", even though England has now descended to "cuntry" status, or is the whole of Great Britain is that state?

Sorry about the topic drift, but perhaps it'll drift back if we let it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 14:18 
Banned
Banned

Valle Crucis wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

Are Scotland and Wales still "Countries", even though England has now descended to "cuntry" status, or is the whole of Great Britain is that state?

Sorry about the topic drift, but perhaps it'll drift back if we let it.

How fast you drift back, depends on how fast you are writing on the issue? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 14:21 
Banned
Banned

toltec wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

Is that about the type of driver that likes to buy a red car or other drivers reactions to red cars I wonder.

Still, wandering off topic; crw seems to have given up.

Given up on what tol?

Laughing at your expense? :wink:

But then again just because I don't reply doesn't mean I have given up, it means unlike some I have a life outside of Safe Speed.

And there is research done insurance companies on colours of cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 14:56 
Life Member
Life Member

crw wrote:

Really? Next you will be telling me that they do research on your Zodiac sign.

Good to see you are not a fly by night poster and are sticking with the topic you started. Speaking of research, have you found any evidence that removing speed cameras causes accidents yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 15:01 
User

toltec wrote:
crw wrote:

Really? Next you will be telling me that they do research on your Zodiac sign.

Good to see you are not a fly by night poster and are sticking with the topic you started. Speaking of research, have you found any evidence that removing speed cameras causes accidents yet?

We are waiting for crw to provide infromation on research he says Monash University has undertaken. Don't hold your breath...

I gave up waiting and found the link myself. Needless to say the results are not quite as significant as claimed.

http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/reports/muarc078.html

Any experts here like to comment, please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 16:05 
Life Member
Life Member

I also found this http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/reports/atsb127.html

Which is not that relevant to crws assertion however does contain some interesting information - 150 pages though so beware.

On quick examination the study you found Thatsnews appears to be looking for short term correlations between issuing a TIN (equivalent to our FPN?) and a reduction in accidents.

There seems to be a higher reduction during what they call 'high alchohol hours'. I have not read this report fully however a quick, therefore possibly wrong, conclusion would be that a driver receiving a TIN lets his drinking buddies know that there is film in the camera so they drive a bit slower.

Interesting though as you say not relevant to showing what the effect of removing cameras might be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next