Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 22:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Highways Agency is carrying out a survey on roadside advertising.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/17859.aspx

They seem to be suggesting they are a major source of distraction and are appealing to the cognoscenti (obviously including the granny in her Micra), to agree with them.

This is a completely pointless exercise and is indicative of wholesale drift from the blatantly obvious fact that it’s lack of skill that causes most accidents, not an inanimate object at the side of the road (nor, indeed, Speed).

Haven’t they got the wit to realise that conditions are never likely to be the same every time we pass the same sign? If I’m stationary I could indulge myself in detailed examination of the advert’s content. If I’m moving in heavy traffic, I won’t even look at it.

Conveniently, they provide a couple of ‘Other’ selections where we are invited to identify anything else we consider to be a major distraction to road users. I guess some of the more informed might place ‘Speed Cameras’ here, although I suspect they probably won’t win the £100 ‘prize’ for completing the survey.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:00 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Already discussed here:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17327

(although you make some very valid points)

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]