It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 05:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 22:23 
User

Quote:

Pedestrians to be given priority over motorists at junction
By Amanda Smith
Comment | Read Comments (8)
PEDESTRIANS could be given priority over motorists at a dangerous junction in Bolton town centre.

Highways chiefs at Bolton Council are looking at ways to make the corner of Deansgate and Knowsley Street safer.

News of the proposals comes just weeks after pensioner Anne Knowles died after being hit by a bus at the danger spot.

Cllr Nick Peel, Bolton Council's executive member for highways, said: "We are looking into a number of ways to make the crossing safer.

"Highways engineers have been to look at the junction to see what can be done.

"One possibility is to make the lights a pedestrian priority. This would mean right-of way for pedestrians, with the lights changing if cars needed to pass.

"We are conscious that we do not want to make any knee-jerk reactions, but are committed to making our roads safer."

Mrs Knowles, aged 78, from Egerton, was knocked down by a bus at the junction on March 14. She was taken to the Royal Bolton Hospital where she later died.

There have been a number of accidents at the busy junction, including an incident in August 2006 when a 54-year-old woman was struck by a bus.

The impact threw her into a parked car and she suffered serious head injuries.

Police are still investigating the circumstances surrounding Mrs Knowles death. Bus operator, Rossendale Travel, has launched an internal investigation.

Yesterday, shop workers who branded the junction a death trap following the death of Mrs Knowles welcomed the proposals for pedestrian priority.

Janine Heapy, from Gibsons Half-Price outlet, said: "I would glad to see something done at this junction."

Debbie Conway, from Sweetens Bookshop, said: "The road is very difficulty to cross. I would be very pleased if these changes were made."

Both my sisters and my brother who shop in this market town say this junction is primarily used by buses - given that cars are not that welcome in town centre Bolton given the daft parking fees. :roll:

They do agree that buses seem to swing around this junction with the same kind of doo-lally COAST which they use around the Moor Lane Bus Station. :popcorn:

But .. taking this story wider.. ..would a second extra for pedestrians create congestion in the urban centres?

Would it make them safer . or are the authorities seeking to blame all motorists instead of the bus drivers in question here? :scratchchin:

And which bus drivers? Were they of east European standard? The ones who never passed a driving test here? :scratchchin: (I think I read the one who hit one pensioner was East European. :? :? . )

It is not at all being "racist" - but I do expect someone who chooses to work and drive a motor vehicle here, make his or her home here and integrate into our society to at least pass the UK standard L-test at the very least. :popcorn:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 19:24 

It seems to me that if peds have priority it my actually increase accidents as pedestrians often hear 'you have right of way' likewise if the standard of driving especially amongst the bus drivers (as you imply) is not dealt with then accidents will still happen - it's failing to deal with the root cause of the accident.

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:59 
User

A simple answer would be to teach pedestrians how to use the road better, like, don't cross the road when there is a red light indicating you should not cross would be a good start.
Motorists and pedestrians are in the unfortunate position of Having to use the same piece of tarmac, logic would detail that it is unwise to have both using the same piece of tarmac at the same time, hence rules were put into law many many years ago, but these laws seem to have been forgotten about, to the detriment of both motorist and pedestrian.
The worst type of pedestrian IMO is the motorist who has just got out of their motor, then have their motor awareness removed.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 15:08 

I am sure the pedestrians must not be making proper observations before crossing. However if that is not the case then the individual cases need to be looked and and analyised to see what the primary cause is. It could be just that it is a dodgy junction and we all know they would rather blame drivers then re engineer a junction. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 15:13 
User

Proper external examinations for bus drivers would be another good place to look. You can't tell me that when the examiner is an employee of the bus company there isn't a vested interest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 01:23 
User

I was nearly struck by a bus at a junction... whilst I was standing on the pavement!

If bus drivers can't see what is around them, then there is a problem with the bus design. Some buses are actually just badly designed bodies shoved onto the bed of a standard lorry. The driver has very little chance of seeing what is around him, as the vehicle was not designed as a bus.

A particular Leyland bus design, the driver has to open the passenger door to see if the left side is clear. :roll:

To be honest, it's a miracle there aren't MORE accidents involving buses and 'vulnerable' road users.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 00:03 
User

Interesting reader letter in the Bolton press apparently. Trying to track it down on the Bolton News website.. as they sometimes post up some reader letters.

Anyway.. gist of the letter which appeared in June 5th edition of the paper..

Reader says the junction has always been

Quote:

an accident waiting to happen.

The problem is that it is the responsibility of the motorist and the pedestrian to ensure accidents do not happen. Unfortunately the two are not compatible..

Has to the the "understatement of the year :wink:

Quote:

Drivers who are perhaps driving too fast here or pedestrians who are in too much of a hurry.. make an ideal formula for a trip to the hospital or the morgue

:popcorn:

But he comes up with a practical solution :clap:

Quote:
We need a barrier on both sides of the junction which curves around the crossing and could be extended further along Deansgate.

I think this could ensure pedestrians could only cross at a designated crossing unlike the situation wehave at present.

The traffic lights could also be re-phased and clearer crossing road markings painted to make life easire for motorists and pedestrians

I think a reasonable suggestion based on memory of this junction.

:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.