Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 23:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 23:16 
User

Gentlemen, I offer you the following exchanges of emails between myself and the management of the Cumbria Safety Camera Partnership!

Ernest on 03/02/07 wrote:
Dear sirs,
I have been trying to access the CSCP website "FAQ" section, where it says CLICK HERE on the front page.
However there does not appear to be a link, nor can I find it from any of the buttons on the frame along side.

Ernest on 16/07/07 wrote:
Dear Sirs,
For some time, I have been trying to access the calibration certificate for the speed cameras at Ings, without success.

Is this because the site does not support some browsers?
I ask this, because the link to frequently asked questions does not presently work with Mozilla Firefox yet in a previous reply, you stated you had tested the link and that it worked perfectly. Other links on the same page DO work... however there is no indication that I can see that says the site does not support certain browsers. Perhaps this could be remedied so as not to put certain software users at a disadvantage?

Steven Callaghan in I know better than you mode wrote:
To: Ernest Marsh
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 8:09 AM
Subject: RE: CSCP WEBSITE

Dear Mr Marsh
Thank you for reporting the broken link, the documents were not being referred to in the link provided, I have repaired this and the documents are now available.

There should be no problem or disadvantage to Firefox users because the website has been tested with that browser, as explained above the documents were not available because of the link referring to them.

Please let me know if you cannot recover them.

Direct Tel. +44 (0) 1768 217630
Direct Fax. +44 (0) 1768 217470

steve.callaghan@cumbria.police.uk
steve.callaghan@cumbria.pnn.police.uk

Ernest on 17/07/07 wrote:
The link I referred to is the word HERE in the line which is started FAQ Page, If you have received a NIP.....

In Mozilla Firefox, the link is not live, while in Microsoft IE, the word HERE is linked to a new page... the FAQ page.
All the other links on this page work except that one link.
Thus Firefox users cannot access the FAQ page without the link.

I didn't expect an apology for being doubted... and I was not dissapointed! :)
However the front page of the CSCP site now carries an admission that not only was I right, but that the finest brains in the CSCP have been unable to sort out the problem......
CSCP webmaster on front page of site wrote:
FAQ Page

If you have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution please click here for answers to commonly asked questions. If you use Firefox you may be unable to use the clickable link and should cut and paste http://cumbriasafetycameras.org/qapage.htm into your browser address bar.

Clearly the manager's unswerving belief in the infallibility of his equipment has let him down, and shown him up as an arrogant oaf! :wink:
And not for the first time I hear you cry! :roll:

Last edited by Ernest Marsh on Wed Feb 06, 2008 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 23:50 
User

CSCP must love you Ernest :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 00:44 
User

paul w wrote:
CSCP must love you Ernest :)

:?: I didn't get a Christmas card :oops:

If somebody told me I had made a spelling mistake in an engraving, I would go and check it before I opened my mouth and put my foot in it!
I find it hard to believe that nobody checked the site out thoroughly AFTER I pointed out the possibility of a flaw... but then again, on previous history, maybe I should not have been surprised! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 00:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hopefully noone would die or have their livlihood destroyed by an engraving error Ernest! :wink:

I would certainly never tell my crewman to shut up if he pointed out to me that I was flying around the circuit in the wrong direction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 01:40 
User

RobinXe wrote:
Hopefully noone would die or have their livlihood destroyed by an engraving error Ernest! :wink:

Not so - I have to engrave data plates for pressure vessels for the oil industry, and BNFL, where the wrong data could prove fatal.
Of course it is checked thoroughly by an independent inspector who then stamps his mark on the plate, as well as the commissioning company examining it themselves.

Occasionally we engrave stuff for BAE Systems, both the old VSEL operation (submarines and surface ships) and Aerospace.
We have labels on Harriers, Hawks, Tornados, and Eurofighter.
So far we have not done Harold the Helicopter, but there are steam trains running with our plates on too! :) HMS Astute has some of our work on board - expensive but not safety critical.

One of our most complicated defence jobs was for full sets of labels for the ammunition lifts for a 4.5 lb ships gun, which had over 80 individual labels on!
The subcontractor in Manchester lost some, and we had to re-make small numbers of the labels PDQ! They were ISO accredited but it didn't stop them dropping a clanger... well a few labels anyway! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 18:32 
User

Ernest - your mention of pressure vessels reminds me of an alarming incident from some years ago.

I had been doing some design work for an engineering company, and when I visited them one day we had a bit of conversation about a pressure vessel they had just fabricated. The item was nothing to do with me, it was merely a casual question about how they had tested it on completion.

Apparently they had simply connected their works compressed air line to it and let the vessel build up to full line pressure, which could have been 100 - 120 PSI, or even more. Fortunately it survived this without incident, so they concluded the vessel was OK.

Honestly, my blood ran cold when I heard that. They seemed to have no idea about working pressure, design pressure and test pressure for the vessel, or awareness that vessels should be tested by filling them with water and applying hydraulic pressure. By doing that, if there is a failure all that happens is a small amount of water squirts out, the pressure is quickly released, and no harm is done. Carrying out a compressed air test, as they had done, could have led to a dreadful accident if the vessel had failed and there were people in the vicinity. They were very lucky that day.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 05:31 
User

Ahh the Hydro Test!
Most of the plates we produce are for hydro-tested vessels, but also full vacuum on some.
We even have to infill some with a radiation resistant paint! :o

Unlike the calibration of some equipment, all is overseen by a completely independent inspector, before being stamped. I have to make delivery in time for him to stamp - and very often the units only get weighed when they lift them to go onto the transport, so it's usually an urgent job! :o

BAE systems have a special slot dredged out in their dock in Barrow so they can submerge the submarines after launch, and test their systems BEFORE they put to sea. Nobody takes it for granted that there wont be any problems!

Some of the components I engraved for them last year were titanium, and somebody brought them to my works, and waited to take them back, as they were urgent.
Yet these vessels take years of planning and construction!! :shock:

I got to go in the Dock Hall last year, and the next sub was already under construction alongside HMS ASTUTE, and some wag had decorated it with cut out cardboard fish in the open end! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 19:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

For anyone from CSCP reading this, the problem that Ernest reported to you is due to a malformed <A...> string.

You have :
<a href="http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/qapage.htm"</a> here </a>

when it should be :
<a href="http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/qapage.htm"> here </a>

It would appear that IE can handle this mistake (I suppose it has to seeing as Microsoft have a habit of not sticking to the HTML standards).

I do this free of charge but if you'd like to make a donation to Safe Speed to cover the 2 minutes it took me to find the problem. I'm sure that we would all be pleased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 21:16 
User

cerberus wrote:
For anyone from CSCP reading this, the problem that Ernest reported to you is due to a malformed <A...> string.

You have :
<a href="http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/qapage.htm"</a> here </a>

when it should be :
<a href="http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/qapage.htm"> here </a>

It would appear that IE can handle this mistake (I suppose it has to seeing as Microsoft have a habit of not sticking to the HTML standards).

I do this free of charge but if you'd like to make a donation to Safe Speed to cover the 2 minutes it took me to find the problem. I'm sure that we would all be pleased.

:lol: :roll:
You're just showing off!! :roll:
Are you trying to destroy what little credibility the CSCP have left?? :o
Steve assured me there was nothing wrong with the site, and here are you showing it was just a little old malformed <A...> string!

I am sure Steve will come along and show how you are misrepresenting the facts, and that Firefox is at fault for not displaying the same sloppy approach to HTML as Explorer and the CSCP! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 17:03 
User

Hey Cerberus - can you take a look at the Cumbria Police site - their freedom of information contacts dont work in Firefox, but do in IE!

It's this one.
I see Steve must be too busy at present to fx the error you revealed to him! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 18:03 

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Hey Cerberus - can you take a look at the Cumbria Police site - their freedom of information contacts dont work in Firefox, but do in IE!

It's this one.
I see Steve must be too busy at present to fx the error you revealed to him! :roll:

Must be. He clearly knows about it since he and/or his minions check this site first thing every morning and probably all through the day as well.

Pull your finger out, you lazy useless scammer!

:flamethrow::liar::whip:

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:25 
User

I see Steve's name is no longer on the contact page of the CSCP site, and a little bird tells me he has left for new pastures.

He always said he didn't need the money! 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 00:44 

Nooooo! He can't leave! Not now, quitting right at the top of his game!! And they're SO close to their 2010 target too! :lol:

Incidentally, speaking of targets, Ernest, did I remember you once mentioning something about some "special" :wink: number plates??? Do send me a PM if you get a minute!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 05:24 
User

You mean the no show one? Somebody else wanted one too - I have enough material left for two or three. It's easier to make them up all together rather than individually.
If it's the one I am thinking of, that was a while ago! There was a picture somewhere - I'll try and find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:11 

Maybe not worth going to too much trouble finding the pics - I'll PM you the necessary details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:52 
User

Mole wrote:
Maybe not worth going to too much trouble finding the pics - I'll PM you the necessary details.

I was thinking of the other enquiry - not sure whether it was Botach or Bombus!
I cant find them anyway, but I'll press ahead with yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 16:19 

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Mole wrote:

I was thinking of the other enquiry - not sure whether it was Botach or Bombus!
I cant find them anyway, but I'll press ahead with yours.

Yes, it was me. Can't wait! 8-)

I've PMed you. :)

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I see Steve's name is no longer on the contact page of the CSCP site, and a little bird tells me he has left for new pastures.

He always said he didn't need the money! 8-)

See this for details of his new pastures :roll:

http://www.pepipoo.com/Case_file_20.htm
http://pepipoo.com/files/Hatton/RSS_Cal ... Mar-08.jpg

NB: The date at the top is an error I think, still kept that attention to detail!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It figures that he should join what, in my opinion, is a "hit squad" whose purpose is to use huge public resources to ensure conviction (whether justified or otherwise) of those with the temerity to challenge charges they believe to be false. I'd expect Julian Hewitt to appear alongside shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 15:20 
User

Once again the case appears to have been dropped in case the suspect testimony gets shot down in court and encourages others to use the defence!

I see the expert witness made no mention of spikes in the mains, and fluctuations in the frequency of the AC, or the effects this could have on electronics.

Isn't there a spec. on the quality of the mains supply somewhere? Having worked somewhere where the quality of the mains was so poor it destroyed a succession of microwave ovens, and Norweb had to fork out for them, I have never regarded mains as being particularly stable!

Norweb's voltage recorder was in place for a fortnight, and displayed voltages varying from 115 VAC to 285 VAC .
In several instances the spikes had exceeded acceptable limits by over 100%!
Generators... not a good substitute for mains unless of a reasonable standard - yet there is no mention of the type employed in the report!

Good job they decided not to proceed!