Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 15:25 
Site Admin

I need to get a load of items from my Mother's Estate (she died last year too), up to Tain in North Scotland.

The load would consist of many boxes of items, and furniture which is based in Weymouth, Dorset at the moment.

It would be a great help, even if it was only part of the 'stuff'. Whilst I can have the Estate pay for the official items going North for the Estate - (I am one of the Administrators), I can only ask a small amount off the Estate to help me get my bits (from the divided up Estate) up North.

We have been looking to have the removal company do this, but the cost is £2326 and then I would be expected to eventually cover, about half. But this is very expensive .... I have looked at hiring smaller lorries (7 ton), which I could do, but we think, weight wise, it may have to be 2 runs, and that is costly on fuel, and my time.

However have you got any ideas - there is some money available for sure, but I though if someone was going (even pretty) North with an empty lorry it may 'fit in' to your schedule and earn your company a bit of extra ...
All ideas welcome :) Claire

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 16:38 
User

What type of 'stuff' are you talking about? Anything that can be palletised, you could shift via a freight forwarding company like Palletways, but I would be cautious about sending anything fragile, and since it all has to be palletised, you're limited on individual item size.

The trouble with using a removals company is that they have to get back to where they started, whereas groupage vehicles are moving up and down anyway and are usually loaded both ways, meaning that you're not paying for them to go back to base empty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 17:07 
Site Admin

Thanks a good idea and perhaps for the boxes we could palletise, not thought of that ...
I reckon though that we'd have lots of pallets.
Depends I suppose on how many boxes you can put on a pallet ?
The boxes are about 2'x2'x18" and then there are some that are slightly smaller and a rare few that are larger ..... but if we could maybe do this with some it may help but I don't have pallets down South, nor do i have the cling film to wrap them securely ? So I'd need to sort that out ....
Are pallets limited by weight ?

Perhaps some by pallet and some by one trip - although the money and effort can get to a negligible benefit ..... hence the request :)

Not much of the furniture is really valuable but I'd obviously like to try to keep it in good condition ...
But we're talking bookcases, tables, side board, few chairs, wardrobes and chest of drawers. (I am keeping old of bits for my bother who is in France for the moment) ... That sort of thing ...

I could do one or two trips in a 7 tonner, in a week but it wipes out the whole week esp with the loading and unloading time plus sleep ! Well a bit anyway !
If you need more info just ask .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 17:30 
User

I think some forwarding companies provide pallets etc so it's worth asking around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 17:34 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Are you sure it won’t all go into one 7.5t truck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 18:07 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pallets:

Europallet: 120cm x 80cm Max Load 1 tonne
About £70 to £100 each to deliver to Scotland.
:)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 16:38 
User

a single trip from north of Scotland to dorset and back is a good 4 day run including loading/unloading. the hire would be around £70 - £100 per day for a 7.5 tonner (estimate) and some compnies put a mileage limit on which would be added to the bill. some are 60 miles a day. not much good for a trip like this! if you use a pallet network you would have problems getting it collected. you cant put pallets in your house cos you cant shift them outside. a garage would be the ideal solution if available but a load such as this would be tricky. i dont even know if they would do it for you. they might refuse. i have done plenty of pallet deliveries in my time and i dont recall ever having delivered anything like this.
i would try a couple of them (DHL, Palletline, Palletways etc) or put a good £1000 or so into this project to do it yourself. i wouldnt look at a 17 tonner. you do get long bodied 7.5 tonners but i would get a driver who has experience on vehicles of that size if you take that route.

NB if you need a driver, im sure we can negotiate something. i know dorset fairly well. i spent several years down that way doing pallet deliveries myself :D

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 03:25 
User

i have put a link from this thread to the transaction website asking for their suggestions. we are drivers here but they are hauliers. they will have a better understanding of costs etc than most of us so i would value their input
http://www.transaction-2007.com/phpBB2/ ... 0183#10183

SSAFA supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 22:13 
Site Admin

Thank you all for you help i really appreciate it.

We could not overall see a cheaper method than using the removal company, that has been storing most of the items.

They arrived safely to my property as I arrived back on Thursday ...

Thank you for all the good ideas - I am sure they will come into use one day :) thanks ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 08:35 
User

i could have done the job for half their quote. hiring a 7.5 tonner for 4 days would be around £300. the next big cost would be fuel but there are ways to save a lot of money there ie night driving (which i do now anyway), cruising at 50 instead of 55 on the motorway (personal experiments have proven a significant saving), not paying MSA fuel prices (a few maps combined with google on my mobile would source a local petrol station within a few minutes from the motorway.

there are ways and means when you know how :wink:

SSAFA supporter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 15:48 
Site Admin

REALLY sorry - I would have been absolutely delighted to have used you - just hadn't got it that you wanted to go for it .... even if we could have saved on the two journeys (estimated using a 7.5ton) I would have done so ...
We figured that if I hired a lorry it would have been - too much to hire and unload and then redo for the next batch - cost saving was too small and with all the expended energy too was a dead duck ! Plus car was then still South so another trip North after it all !

So sorry ... will keep you in mind though for any future needs ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:33 
User

dont worry about it. i did a little research and i reckon all in you would be looking at up to 1200 for a return trip
based on a 4 day trip this is my estimation.
7.5 tonner - 350 (ish)
me - 360
fuel 300 (educated guess)

only 1 person needs to be with the truck. the client would be able to travel any way they liked. from the description of the goods, a single trips would suffice. look at the trucks used by companies like british bakeries, warburtons etc. they are massive compared to normal 7.5 tonners due to the lighter weights they carry. lighter goods = more cargo! plus proper packing would squeeze more in. get the biggest goods in and pack the smaller stuff around it. its like a puzzle and i like puzzles :D
you would need someone to help load the truck but you wouldnt need them to accompany the vehicle. between the various websites im sure we could find someone at each end who would be willing to help load and unload if you bung them a few quid!
good planning would save being caught up in traffic and would therefore save fuel ie i know it takes 6 hours driving from newbridge to birmingham. i would be aiming for swindon on day one with a little extra driving time to find a place to park up (using the A419) and it so happens i know a nice couple who live there who im sure would tell me where i could park up safely
as the job is done i havent worked it all out but this is an example of how i personally would plan it. leave in the afternoon so i avoid hotspots at busy times knowing i am parking up in 10 hours or so (9 hours driving + fuel stops and 45 minute break). easy :wink:

SSAFA supporter