Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 17:39 
User

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cumbria/7366371.stm
A truck driver following his SatNav instructions has wedged his truck in a narrow lane which links Grasmere to Langdale.
Map here
Quote:
Sat nav lorry driver blocks road
Police have been attempting to remove the articulated lorry

A road in Cumbria has been blocked by an articulated lorry, after the driver said he followed sat nav directions.

Redbank Road, a minor route between Grasmere and Langdale, is closed after the 45ft (13.7m) vehicle became stuck.

The incident happened late on Thursday night, and initial attempts to remove the lorry from the steep, winding road were unsuccessful.

Drivers are advised to take alternative routes, as further efforts to move the lorry take place on Friday morning.

Looking at the size of the truck, one or two questions spring to mind - like WHERE exactly was his destination - and even if he had got over the steep narrow lane, how did he intend to negotiate the difficult junctions at the other ends of the route? :shock:
To get this far, he has already negotiated one or two tight junctions, and a tortuous route through narrow streets in Grasmere!! The stretch where the truck is stuck is one of the relatively straight and level sections - the rest is a steep twisty route which challenges inexperienced drivers and caravaners!

There are no major businesses in Langdale - a caravan site and a couple of small hotels - and the lorry would presumably be coming from Keswick direction.

I suspect there might be more to this than meets the eye - this was a determined effort to negotiate the route which must have been clearly unsuitable at the outset!
The A591 which should be the main route through from Keswick to Windermere has a bridge with a weight limit on it.
The only way around would be via Penrith to Junction 36, and back - a LONG detour.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 00:19 
User

Update on tonights news.
Driver was NOT trying to avoid the bridge and weight limit - he was on his way from Northumberland to Millom, and yes - he really WAS that thick!!

PratNavs - who needs them!! Buy an A-Z!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 14:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I really don't understand how people get themselves to this sort of problem.
Was there not a point when he thought. Hang on a sec, this is not a good idea?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 19:16 
User

ree.t wrote:
I really don't understand how people get themselves to this sort of problem.
Was there not a point when he thought. Hang on a sec, this is not a good idea?

Possibly, but by that point he probably wouldn't be able to turn around and go back so maybe thought "what the heck, it can't get any worse, surely!?" :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 21:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

True I imagine it is difficult to correct once committed.
As it is hard enough to turn a car round in those roads.
I just think common sense should have kicked in earlier.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 22:40 
User

Knowing the route, he MUST have seen his route may well be fraught - even the turn through the village onto that lane must have been a difficult task in itself!!

Luckily he never got this far...
only as far as this bend - seen here in an earlier photograph...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 22:44 
User

ree.t wrote:
True I imagine it is difficult to correct once committed.
As it is hard enough to turn a car round in those roads.
I just think common sense should have kicked in earlier.

A SatNav AND common sense?? :shock:
Last weeks news would suggest that the two dont go hand in hand! :lol:

A taxi driver in the Midlands followed his SatNav even when it led him straight into a river! :shock: :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 01:49 
User

I understand he was traveling from Keswick to Millom. If he was using a TomTom device, he must have selected "shortest route" as the normal "quickest route" would not have taken him that way.

Similar to the coach driver who took the "struggle" route from Kirkstone Pass into Ambleside which sadly resulted in fatalities.

Anyone who uses a SatNav regularly know's it isn't perfect and common sense and reading roadsigns are a requirement. A vehicle of that size needs a permit to be in the central lake district anyway I understand??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 19:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I used to deliver fuels. I could not believe the road from Kirkby Stephen to Crosby Garrett, with a 38 tonner, where there was a transport firm. :shock:

That's one where I kept thinking 'Should I turn round at the first opportunity?'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 20:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It is almost another think to blame for being stupid.
Not my fault, it was the SAT NAV.
People really enjoy being told what to do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 03:57 
User

Peter H wrote:
I understand he was traveling from Keswick to Millom. If he was using a TomTom device, he must have selected "shortest route" as the normal "quickest route" would not have taken him that way.

Similar to the coach driver who took the "struggle" route from Kirkstone Pass into Ambleside which sadly resulted in fatalities.

Anyone who uses a SatNav regularly know's it isn't perfect and common sense and reading roadsigns are a requirement. A vehicle of that size needs a permit to be in the central lake district anyway I understand??

The route was Northumberland to Millom - he should have stayed on the M6 to junction 36, then used the A590/A595.
If a permit is required it is to cross the bridge with a weight limit on at Grasmere. I dont actually know anyone who has one, but lots of drivers delivering in Windermere and Ambleside complain about having to take a 50 - 60 mile detour to reach Keswick or Whitehaven for their next drop!!

To be fair that was not a SatNav which led to the coach's route down "The Struggle", but a blatant disregard of a road sign prohibiting that class of vehicle, AND a badly maintained vehicle to boot - namely the brakes didn't work when required.
Passengers had questioned the course, and been told to shut up by the owner/drivers son who was acting as guide!
I believe both were jailed.