Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 03:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 21:09 
Site Admin

2 people got by cameras 1x 35 in 30 the other 37 in 30.
1 a lady (40) desperate to reach her child when she had been taken to hospital.
1 a chap (63) taking his wife who was having an epileptic fit.
Re Emergency transport to hospital by the public - 2 people being done :(

on with Cynthia Barlow of roadpeace ...

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 22:46 

Thanks for telling us. Should be good.

I assume the RoadPeace woman will be defending cameras. I would be so ashamed if I was charged with defending cameras in the context of incidents like the above. It should be fairly easy to embarrass Cynthia Barlow, and make the listeners realise how utterly unfair cameras are because of things like that. Usually in mainstream radio debates like these, the debate is about cameras in general, and fairly short, so the camera supporter can obfuscate and keep everything vague enough not to look too stupid. Not in this case though; she's going to find it very difficult to explain why it's so important to road safety to drag people like the above through the courts.

Hopefully the listeners will realise at least these two things by the end:

- As long as we have cameras, and the discretionless, automatic, totally inflexible, digital enforcement that they entail, we will always have incidents like the above. We'll never stop such incidents unless we get rid of cameras altogether.

- Things like the above could happen to absolutely anyone (even if they don't currently have an ill person in the family, that could change in the future). Again, the only way to stop this constant and unreasonable threat of prosecution is to scrap the cameras.

Good luck! :)

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 03:18 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainfram ... /bacon_thu plus a few fast forwards by 1 - 2 mins

Early start for me in the morning - I'll listen in about 15 hours.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 04:53 
Site Admin

Well I got a few points across but nothing like all the points that I wanted to say - and I fumbled a fair bit too - although it doesn't quite sound as bad I feared that it may have !
Listen again here start at 1hr 40min into prog.
I had a nice line about the fact that the dft have just stated that (2007), now 95% of all speeding tickets are from cameras ! That indiscriminate numeric limits have nothing to do with road safety !

Ah well I'll have to get better and get more said - perhaps it's time for a talk sport or whatever :)
At least they are meant to send along £40 so that's cover the fuel and little bit of food :)
(I went to the BBC studio in Inverness - the one Paul used - although they are completely redesigning the building and the studio was much nicer.)
Interestingly the chap there said that much of the interviews in Scotland are now happening over SKYPE ! So that may be a very interesting way forward - I can do that very easily from here - or almost anywhere :)