Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 21:04 
User

repiV wrote:
Going to try out a '97 GSXR750 a friend of a friend is selling too, though. I imagine it won't be particularly light or nimble however. I like flickable bikes.

They make approx 130 BHP if memory serves me correctly, weigh in at around 400lbs (which is around 150lbs lighter than the metal I'm used to), and will easily take you through the 160mph barrier.
If I'm right with the maths, you have around 680 BHP per metric tonne (thats quite a respectable power to weight ratio).

They are reasonably short in the wheelbase, so the agility level is directly proportional to the size of your balls. :wink:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 21:21 
User

Similar weight to the Fazer really...which I find to be a pretty flickable bike (although it's no R6), but that may well be due to the higher bars rather than anything else.
I test rode an '04 CBR600F and found it really hard to steer - difficult to countersteer it because you're kind of sitting on top of the bars, you really had to muscle it around corners. In complete contrast to the Fazer/SV/R6 etc.
People have mentioned the VFR800 to me aswell, never ridden one though.

I tell you what, the R6 steers so well I kept oversteering. It's truly phenomenal - so tiny and so nimble. Felt like it had limitless power - a feeling I didn't get from the TLR. I don't know if other '05 sports 600s are the same, but I've never ridden anything like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 08:56 
User

I'd rather ride something 10+ years old (no not like THAT!! I'm not a peodophile!!) than ride a modern bike.

So far to date, lets see...

Various old CB125 type things (CBT and 1st day of DAS)

R. plated ER500 (training bike) with leg protectors. Hated it - too heavy.

E. plated CM200. Been off a bike for 18 months at the time and didn't have the bottle to ride the xs. Massive amounts of fun considering.

Old V. plated XS650. GLORIOUS!! You really feel the ride and it handles and stops considerably well considering its age. Twin front disks make all the difference and will be even better when I get her back on the road with the 840cc kit and drilled disks! :D Besides that, the pocket rocket bregade don't know what it is and for some reason they are impressed by a 5'3 girl being able to kickstart it... :roll:

J plated GPZ900R. Slightly too tall but at anything over about 3mph an absolute dream. First bike I ever rode with faring and at the time the biggest bike I'd riden. Did about 550 miles in 2 days.

E plated CBR1000 rat. HEAVY and too wide for me (it was built by my partner who's about 6'3 cubed).

E plated GPZ500 rat. This is my current bike and I love it. Small and nimble and I can rag it to death without fear of killing it.

Like I said, you get on something older and you really feel it. Far more of a buzz than riding some plasic missile... repiV - get yourself an old GPZ500 or some such. You can pick one up for about £200 and I'll guarentee it'll live longer than a faser or SV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 20:17 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
I'd rather ride something 10+ years old (no not like THAT!! I'm not a peodophile!!) than ride a modern bike.

So far to date, lets see...

Various old CB125 type things (CBT and 1st day of DAS)

R. plated ER500 (training bike) with leg protectors. Hated it - too heavy.

E. plated CM200. Been off a bike for 18 months at the time and didn't have the bottle to ride the xs. Massive amounts of fun considering.

Old V. plated XS650. GLORIOUS!! You really feel the ride and it handles and stops considerably well considering its age. Twin front disks make all the difference and will be even better when I get her back on the road with the 840cc kit and drilled disks! :D Besides that, the pocket rocket bregade don't know what it is and for some reason they are impressed by a 5'3 girl being able to kickstart it... :roll:

J plated GPZ900R. Slightly too tall but at anything over about 3mph an absolute dream. First bike I ever rode with faring and at the time the biggest bike I'd riden. Did about 550 miles in 2 days.

E plated CBR1000 rat. HEAVY and too wide for me (it was built by my partner who's about 6'3 cubed).

E plated GPZ500 rat. This is my current bike and I love it. Small and nimble and I can rag it to death without fear of killing it.

Like I said, you get on something older and you really feel it. Far more of a buzz than riding some plasic missile... repiV - get yourself an old GPZ500 or some such. You can pick one up for about £200 and I'll guarentee it'll live longer than a faser or SV.

I couldn't see myself on an old bike...I like shiny, nimble things. I'm too poor to afford a new bike though...I'm probably going to buy my friend's race-tuned '98 Fazer (I know, odd combination :lol:). It has this evil-grin lunacy about it, and it's well within my budget too. If money was no object though I'd buy an R6, no question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 08:27 
User

Oh how much you have to learn...

Bikes are as shiney as you make 'em and an R1 will fall apart the first time you try to ride up a kerb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:18 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:

Bikes are as shiney as you make 'em and an R1 will fall apart the first time you try to ride up a kerb.

Ahem, mine never did after months of riding up and down kerbs. Although the front tyre did get pushed badly out of profile.

repiV wrote:
I couldn't see myself on an old bike...I like shiny, nimble things. I'm too poor to afford a new bike though...I'm probably going to buy my friend's race-tuned '98 Fazer (I know, odd combination ). It has this evil-grin lunacy about it, and it's well within my budget too. If money was no object though I'd buy an R6, no question.

I think that you'll find that the insurance premiums will make that Fazer about the same, if not more, than the R6. Also, as it is race-tuned, the engine will need to be very carefully looked after or it will go pop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 13:19 
User

R1Nut wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:

Ahem, mine never did after months of riding up and down kerbs. Although the front tyre did get pushed badly out of profile.

Mate rode his through a pot hole and ferked the headstock... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 23:53 
User

R1Nut wrote:
I think that you'll find that the insurance premiums will make that Fazer about the same, if not more, than the R6. Also, as it is race-tuned, the engine will need to be very carefully looked after or it will go pop.

Well, I didn't buy it in the end. Instead, I found the bargain of the century - an '02 Foxeye Fazer, 13,000 miles on the clock, perfect condition except some scuffs mainly on the top fairing, bent clutch lever and very very slightly bent handlebar (so he tells me, but I can't even notice it) due to a low speed slide.
It's now sitting in my driveway for the mere sum of £1250. Bloody brilliant. Couldn't be happier with the situation. :bounce1:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 17:38 
User

botach wrote:
BTW-not talking about the typical "biker " - with CBT, helmet, licence , insurance and REG PLATES. This is about the tearaways on anything from a minimoto to a trials sized bike - who now seem to be see ing the sense in wearing a helmet.

Anyone with teen kids should know how difficult it is to make them do something they dont see important. Teach teens to ride mopeds and you will find loads of them are simply using it as a form of getting around till they get a car, you'll find that lots of them dont care about anything, even the £300 helmet daddy bought as they drop it on the floor to get their licence out for you to check.The £2000 moped mum bought is just a trendy tool and they wont wear anything that goes against fashion, you have to force them to adopt things while training that they only reject as soon as they get a cbt cert in their grubby mits. Not all teens are like this but a huge number are.And then there is the internet where these teens see all the 'Jack Ass' type of trendy vid clips and other rebelious and crazy stunt provoking things to do on bikes. Moral guidance and discipline is lacking with a lot of the modern families with teens. :wink:

Post subject: Re: suspect bikers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 19:51 
User

Coming back to a couple of earlier posts, I too would prefer to ride without a helmet under certain conditions and have generally used my helmet more for eye and weather protection more than anything else.
My wife is Philippine and when we go over there standard riding gear is t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. I tend to wear a decent pair of trainers and always like some form of eye protection - close fitting sunglasses do the job nicely.
It's rat moped heaven over there and traffic speeds tend to be about half of what they are here, which seems to offset the severity of injuries in accidents, which are caused mainly by inexperienced riders.
They are trying to enforce a "helmet law" of sorts, but it only applies to the driver, not any of his four passengers, which may even include toddlers and babies. Most riders ignore that particular law anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 20:40 
User

Maaarrghk! wrote:
Coming back to a couple of earlier posts, I too would prefer to ride without a helmet under certain conditions and have generally used my helmet more for eye and weather protection more than anything else.
My wife is Philippine and when we go over there standard riding gear is t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. I tend to wear a decent pair of trainers and always like some form of eye protection - close fitting sunglasses do the job nicely.
It's rat moped heaven over there and traffic speeds tend to be about half of what they are here, which seems to offset the severity of injuries in accidents, which are caused mainly by inexperienced riders.
They are trying to enforce a "helmet law" of sorts, but it only applies to the driver, not any of his four passengers, which may even include toddlers and babies. Most riders ignore that particular law anyway.

:lol: I love the Idea of such freedoms and personally if the only person whos gonna get hurt is the person chosing to do this then fair enough providing they pick up the entire bill should it go pear shape. But there are always going to be people who will be unaware of the risks or the severity such risks can materialise and always the risk of someone taking you out no matter what. The head is not the most imediately vulnerable part of the body but if damaged can carry the most serious consequences and in this country those consequences is where the tax payer starts picking up some of the bill, sometimes for years.Im not a stickler for all rules regs but Helmet I do agree with. I also think Gloves and boots should be made law. Two of the most common injuries to bikers are Hands and Feet along with collar bone,ribs,legs,hips,spine,neck,head.(not ness i n that order.) but I think I might be tempted to fracture a rule or two in the philippines... 8-) phew!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 18:40 

Another sermon on protective clothing................Yawn!

I ride helmet free when ever its legal (and that is about 22 states in the us).

My choice... But thats what motorcycling is all about ..... freedom of choice.

As far as "picking up the bill" go into casualty at the week end and you are surrounded by sporting and DIY injuries, how about them picking up the bill. Or maybe smokers, drinkers and overweight patients paying for their treatment. After all they have made the choices that landed them in hospital. In fact lets get rid of the NHS altogether.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 23:45 
User

Gizmo wrote:
Another sermon on protective clothing................Yawn!

I ride helmet free when ever its legal (and that is about 22 states in the us).

My choice... But thats what motorcycling is all about ..... freedom of choice.

As far as "picking up the bill" go into casualty at the week end and you are surrounded by sporting and DIY injuries, how about them picking up the bill. Or maybe smokers, drinkers and overweight patients paying for their treatment. After all they have made the choices that landed them in hospital. In fact lets get rid of the NHS altogether.

Quote:

Hey Im not against your choices, Im simply pointing out the cost to others who have no choice. I dont sermon, I state fact. I myself ride in Jeans depending on weather or where or what will determine what I wear as a jacket or leather pants. I can live with those risks. Not wearing a helmet/gloves or strong boots of some kind is just asking for serious injury should someone else decide to ruin your day.Here is another Fact! You do not know when or if someone else is going to take you out, and you do not know whats gonna happen to your head should a crash occur.

And commenting about the diy and sports mob is a good point as it highlights the fact that they make it to casualty on their own and secondly they did not in every case recognise the risks.Riding without a helmet is taking a risk of serious head injury in the event of a crash and head injuries account for the majority of fatalities. Also most of the things you list do not result in fatality whereas a significant and sadly increasing number of bike crashes do. It costs over 1m for every road death the last time I checked. Enjoy your freedom of choice but try not to condemn others for pointing stuff out. Or is your free thinking just a one way thing?