PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 21:05 
User

JJ wrote:
r11co wrote:
Cooperman wrote:
I think this topic should be "retreating into their rectum(s)" :D

Lookout, Cooperman is back!

Welcome Coops! Glad you made it.

well im still here is this what you call retreating.

No, JJ. It's good to still be able to cross swords with you. After all, don't forget that with my countermeasures and tangled web of vehicle registration I'm sort-of immune to your cameras. I have no axe to grind except a desire for myself and my family to be safer on the roads.
My oldest grandson is taking lessons to pass his test. Then I shall take him out and teach him how to drive properly and safely. Things like motorway driving, vehicle positioning, where to look for potential hazards, car control and safe braking techniques - all the things that, if they were taught to everyone, would bring casualty figures down by positive means. Sorry if that sounds immodest, but my last and really only fault accident was 32 years ago yesterday and I have driven not less than 25,000 miles every year since then in everything up to a Porsche 911 Carrera. I guess I'm doing something right.
I taught my son to drive after he passed his test in 1991 and the only accident he has had was at 25 mph in London in the wet about 8 years ago. Not bad either.
Does that qualify me as a road safety expert? You decide.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 21:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

JT wrote:
JJ wrote:
Cooperman wrote:
The other point for which they should be condemned is their failure to use, or to publish statistics for, the 'control' sites which met the criteria for enforcement but at which no enforcement has yet taken place. Do they really not know?

I'm still here, Remember! i've been displaced as well :cry:

JJ

Good point. Can you shed any light upon why this data appears to remain such a closely guarded secret?

I have it here, PM me for info on the source, it's quite easy to get when you know how. You DO need substantial experience on working with large volumes of data though, it is literally the raw data. Also some kind of map overlay is useful and a map source, I have pretty much figured this out.

It does give some VERY interesting results though, I have some pretty interesting evidence for some fixed cameras in a certain area but have yet to get around to obtaining some crucial final data to make sure it is all solid.

HOWEVER, accident causation isn't included. I haven't found a source for these yet, although my interest isn't in that area (yet). There is plenty to keep somebody occupied in the simple plate+time data sets!

Gareth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 21:49 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

g_attrill wrote:
JT wrote:
JJ wrote:
Cooperman wrote:
The other point for which they should be condemned is their failure to use, or to publish statistics for, the 'control' sites which met the criteria for enforcement but at which no enforcement has yet taken place. Do they really not know?

JJ

Good point. Can you shed any light upon why this data appears to remain such a closely guarded secret?

I have it here, PM me for info on the source, it's quite easy to get when you know how. You DO need substantial experience on working with large volumes of data though, it is literally the raw data. Also some kind of map overlay is useful and a map source, I have pretty much figured this out.

It does give some VERY interesting results though, I have some pretty interesting evidence for some fixed cameras in a certain area but have yet to get around to obtaining some crucial final data to make sure it is all solid.

HOWEVER, accident causation isn't included. I haven't found a source for these yet, although my interest isn't in that area (yet). There is plenty to keep somebody occupied in the simple plate+time data sets!

Gareth

one slight problem Gareth, you need reliable data we do not have fixed cameras in cumbria. also you need the accident grid points and i know you hav'nt got that so just what have you got a database full of dreams

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 21:56 
User

JJ wrote:

Suggest you get hold of some STATS 19 information Prior to 2004 and After 2005.

JJ

I gather you had a contact with Martin Lewes Kevin - he phoned me out of the blue to ask for a response, and to ask why I thought the forum was worthwhile.
I told him I thought you seemed a decent sort... and could be found here :?
Any idea when it will be put out?
Those outside the area can listen online!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 09:59 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Cooperman wrote:
JJ wrote:
r11co wrote:
Cooperman wrote:
I think this topic should be "retreating into their rectum(s)" :D

Lookout, Cooperman is back!

Welcome Coops! Glad you made it.

well im still here is this what you call retreating.

No, JJ. It's good to still be able to cross swords with you. After all, don't forget that with my countermeasures and tangled web of vehicle registration I'm sort-of immune to your cameras. I have no axe to grind except a desire for myself and my family to be safer on the roads.
My oldest grandson is taking lessons to pass his test. Then I shall take him out and teach him how to drive properly and safely. Things like motorway driving, vehicle positioning, where to look for potential hazards, car control and safe braking techniques - all the things that, if they were taught to everyone, would bring casualty figures down by positive means. Sorry if that sounds immodest, but my last and really only fault accident was 32 years ago yesterday and I have driven not less than 25,000 miles every year since then in everything up to a Porsche 911 Carrera. I guess I'm doing something right.
I taught my son to drive after he passed his test in 1991 and the only accident he has had was at 25 mph in London in the wet about 8 years ago. Not bad either.
Does that qualify me as a road safety expert? You decide.

No I commend you. Problem I see is that anybody over 45 trying to teach a teenager safe driving is going to have a difficult time. ..'..Can't teach me I know everything'..... However if he listens to you great!

PS hope you not going to buy him ..certain gadgets for his birthday... :D

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:43 
User

JJ, I seem to be fortunate that both my grandsons do listen to me and seem to have some respect for my driving and teaching abilities. I had my younger grandson driving his father's Audi A6 on a disused airfield when he was only 8. The oldest one is not so 'car oriented', but still asks my advice on what car he should get and has actually asked me to teach him. I said that he should go to a driving school to learn to pass his test and that then I would teach him to drive.
Many years ago I did used to teach flying, well gliding actually, so I enjoy giving instruction to those willing to learn.
I also helped teach rallying techniques to the Met Police International Rally Team a few years ago.
No, I won't be buying him any 'gadgets', to be buying him a reasonably decent car is quite enough for one year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 15:07 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

[quote="JJ

one slight problem Gareth, you need reliable data we do not have fixed cameras in cumbria. also you need the accident grid points and i know you hav'nt got that so just what have you got a database full of dreams

JJ[/quote]

As late commers to this biz niz, they know that static cameras make less money than mobiles..

not quite so daft up north then..

rgds
bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 18:05 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Cooperman wrote:
JJ, I seem to be fortunate that both my grandsons do listen to me and seem to have some respect for my driving and teaching abilities. I had my younger grandson driving his father's Audi A6 on a disused airfield when he was only 8. The oldest one is not so 'car oriented', but still asks my advice on what car he should get and has actually asked me to teach him. I said that he should go to a driving school to learn to pass his test and that then I would teach him to drive.
Many years ago I did used to teach flying, well gliding actually, so I enjoy giving instruction to those willing to learn.
I also helped teach rallying techniques to the Met Police International Rally Team a few years ago.
No, I won't be buying him any 'gadgets', to be buying him a reasonably decent car is quite enough for one year!

lucky Grand children I would say. good luck eith the tuition

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 18:06 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Bill wrote:
[quote="JJ

JJ

As late commers to this biz niz, they know that static cameras make less money than mobiles..

rgds
bill[/quote]

Prefere to stay mobile, however we are having a few Fixed ones installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 20:41 
User

JJ wrote:
Bill wrote:
JJ wrote:

JJ

rgds
bill

Prefere to stay mobile, however we are having a few Fixed ones installed.

You've been saying that for months! You haven't employed CAPITA to fix them up on your behalf have you? That would explain the delay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 23:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

JJ wrote:

JJ

A fixed camera has a route length, a mobile site is just a very long route and the figures can be calculated in exactly the same way. The precise camera site locations and routes are public knowledge in some areas, the area I was talking about was not Cumbria :wink: (I mentioned this but it got lost somewhere)

The grid references are also public, here's an example of what I can pull of at will. In case you are wondering, all the data was obtained entirely legally.

Quote:
Accident summary
----------------
Ref: 030000216
Grid ref: 30066,52865
Date: 27/11/2000 14:0
Road class: A66
Vehicles: 2
Casulaties: 1
Junction: Not at junction or within 20 metres
Road type: Single carriageway - 2 lanes
Light condition: Daylight - lights present
Weather conditions: Fine no high winds
Road surface: Wet or damp

Vehicle 1:
---------------
Type: Car
Direction: From SE to NW
Location on road: On the main road
First point of impact: Front
Hit other vehicle: 2
Breath test: Not requested

Casulaties in this vehicle:
No casualties recorded

Vehicle 2:
---------------
First point of impact: Back
Hit other vehicle: 1

-
Class:Driver or rider
Sex:Female
Severity:Slight

Gareth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 01:35 
User

Has'nt it gone QUIET in this thread!

Do you have some of that data for Ings, Gareth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:59 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

g_attrill wrote:
JJ wrote:

JJ

A fixed camera has a route length, a mobile site is just a very long route and the figures can be calculated in exactly the same way. The precise camera site locations and routes are public knowledge in some areas, the area I was talking about was not Cumbria :wink: (I mentioned this but it got lost somewhere)

The grid references are also public, here's an example of what I can pull of at will. In case you are wondering, all the data was obtained entirely legally.

Quote:
Accident summary
----------------
Ref: 030000216
Grid ref: 30066,52865
Date: 27/11/2000 14:0
Road class: A66
Vehicles: 2
Casulaties: 1
Junction: Not at junction or within 20 metres
Road type: Single carriageway - 2 lanes
Light condition: Daylight - lights present
Weather conditions: Fine no high winds
Road surface: Wet or damp

Vehicle 1:
---------------
First point of impact: Front
Hit other vehicle: 2

No casualties recorded

Vehicle 2:
---------------
First point of impact: Back
Hit other vehicle: 1

-
Class:Driver or rider
Sex:Female
Severity:Slight

Gareth

Please note Garath this thread is for Cumbria. You will find that you cannot treat every partnership the same each one is unique. We are mainly mobile so do move the vans around within the site if required. If you data is for fixed sites then you may have more control of the data.

Hey there is even one camera partnership that has its own forum on Safespeeds website. Now thats a first!!!! thanks Paul!!