The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 22:39 
User

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7677897.stm

Quote:
Static speed camera set on fire

An arson attack on a static speed camera is being investigated by police in Cumbria.

The camera, on the A590 near Witherslack, Grange-over-Sands, was set alight early on Wednesday, causing an estimated £3,000 damage.

Officers are keen to trace two men seen in the area a few hours earlier. One is described as heavy-set and wearing a grey top.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Cumbria Police.

Damn - I forgot to phone the fire brigade when I got to work!! :P Couldn't use the mobile while I was driving!
And before you join several friends and members of my family - no - I don't own a grey top - and if I did it would be in the wash! :D

Only £3,000 of damage? Must have been amateurs, and I guess they will soon be caught!
If they dont get caught but read this, I hope they contact me before they attempt to repeat the event, so I can make sure I have an alibi - when the Ings camera was vandalised, the owner of the Watermill Pub was quizzed!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 20:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
[quote="Ernest Marsh]

The camera, on the A590 near Witherslack, Grange-over-Sands, was set alight early on Wednesday, causing an estimated £3,000 damage.

[quote]

BUT these cameras COST £20,000 - OR SO WE ARE TOLD - how can this be replaced ,with damage ,and be expected to be accurart and reliable (given the fire damage ) unless it was totally replaced and INSPECTED - at a cost of more than £3000 - so who's telling porkies - Cumbria or HMG ???????---AS CILLA SAYS - THE DECISION IS YOURS .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 23:27 
User

Far be it from me to condone such wanton vandalism, but i must confess to a chuckle when I heard about this incident :lol:

It will be interesting to see how much Police resource is placed on this enquiry :roll:

Shame Callaghan has departed or we could have joked about his beard being singed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 17:51 
User

botach wrote:
BUT these cameras COST £20,000 - OR SO WE ARE TOLD - how can this be replaced ,with damage ,and be expected to be accurart and reliable (given the fire damage ) unless it was totally replaced and INSPECTED - at a cost of more than £3000 - so who's telling porkies - Cumbria or HMG ???????---AS CILLA SAYS - THE DECISION IS YOURS .

Installation costs are probably the difference. Second time around they've not got to dig the hole, pour the concrete base, run the electric cables, put up the signs etc etc.

Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

More likely there was no camera in the box and the £3000 is just the "shell" replacement cost.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 01:37 
User

Oh there was definitely a camera in the box!! :D

And YES, I was late for work that morning, but NO it wasn't me!!