Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:54 
User

Right - St Pierre introduces another topic which I think folk may want to discuss separately.

C+ May issue wrote:

Each group has its sins:

You do not see many cyclists riding at dangerous speeds, but bikers do not tend to jump red traffic lights :wink:

Yet both groups have an interest in not wanting to be squeezed off the roads by the almight car :banghead:

:scratchchin: I would love to be a fly on the wall on family visits - per the next pgh. :lol:

C+ wrote:

So now the conundrum arises. Should we share our right to use the bus lanes with the powered up variety of two wheelers?

My son-in-law - a biker who [i]mistakenly believes cuyclists whould not be allowed on the roads :yikes: in the first place "because they don't pay tax" fully supports the idea. On hte other hand James Daley (cycling writer for the "indy") is vehemently opposed... asserting the motorbike is polluting and far more dangerous to cycllits than the cars :?

The self defender of our faith claims that the motorbikers are more likely to be involved in an accident that causes injury to a cyclist and more than 200 times more likely to be involved in an incident that results in a cyclist's death.

Per Daley - he quotes a recent study "showing that when motorcycles are allowed to use bus lanes their average speed increases, with many travelling at 40-50 mph in built up areas. :roll:

Thes facts alone ae enought o sugges that letting bikers sidle up to cyclists is a recipe for disaster.

He goes on to claim "We also need to include the environmental statistics. Motrocycles emit 11.3 times more methane than cars and an infinite amount more than cyclists, who emit nothing

I :? :?

Beans.. lentils.. greens.. they give me he burps :popcorn: (I jest :wink: oops!)

[quote=C+]

On the contrary - they emit a lot of hot air wrote one angry reply on Motorcycle News forum whilst another forummer on that site disputed the statistics .. along with various accusations that Daley use inaccurate statistics to support his spurious argument.

The facts are that 2005-2006 - of the 7000 seriosu accidents involving cyclists - only 50 involved the motorbikea and 89 of the accidents involved another cyclist[/quote]

But where does St Pierre stand in this piece which I have split into two parts as his first part raises some separately interesting questions as to how our generation acquired road sense/sense of speed from childhood development before looking at his main argument about the bus lane share?

:scratchchin:

He concludes that bikers and cyclists must agree to some negotiated co-existence such as the one he claims exists on the bridleways and walkways whereby cyclists co-exist safely with the ramblers and the horseriders :scratchchchin: :popcorn:

He thinks the bikers would be safer in the bus lanes in heavy traffic .. but agrees with the C+ editor that the real danger here would be .. errr BUSES .. :banghead:

I have typed what it says. Cannot find the piece on bikeradar's site. :popcorn:

No.. I do not post on there. I do not have great wadges of time. I only post to this site and a policeman's only forum :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 18:55 
Life Member
Life Member

In Gear wrote:
He thinks the bikers would be safer in the bus lanes in heavy traffic .. but agrees with the C+ editor that the real danger here would be .. errr BUSES .. :banghead

Dunno, at least motorbikes/'peds can keep pace with busses, which is a majar part of the problem of bus/cycle lane sharing.

One of the biggest issues I can see, certainally while car drivers get used to it, is cars turning left across bus lanes in free-flowing traffic, as motorbikes may be undertaking traffic, moving far quicker than cyclists while being nowhere as visible as a bus....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 19:25 
User

hairyben wrote:
In Gear wrote:
He thinks the bikers would be safer in the bus lanes in heavy traffic .. but agrees with the C+ editor that the real danger here would be .. errr BUSES .. :banghead

Dunno, at least motorbikes/'peds can keep pace with busses, which is a majar part of the problem of bus/cycle lane sharing.

One of the biggest issues I can see, certainally while car drivers get used to it, is cars turning left across bus lanes in free-flowing traffic, as motorbikes may be undertaking traffic, moving far quicker than cyclists while being nowhere as visible as a bus....

I think you have hit the really serious problem in this scheme. Drivers are going to have to be very vigilant for the bikers in this situation.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 19:42 
Life Member
Life Member

In Gear wrote:
I think you have hit the really serious problem in this scheme. Drivers are going to have to be very vigilant for the bikers in this situation.

You could phrased the first sentence better...

I'd say it's more of a problem with bus lanes as a concept, ie they're a stupid half arsed way to address traffic issues that results in traffic movement thats unnatural, not "instinctive", plus an issue in the way they're enforced- drivers should "blend" into a bus lane before turning left, but many go right to where the solid line stops, almost stop and do a hard right so as not to encroach the hallowed red tarmac and the $$$ it may cost them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 22:30 
User

I loathe bus lanes as purely pointless. I can cope and liaise normally.

That said .. I think fair play at peak rush workaday times ... but not 24/7 :popcorn:

Yes .. I agree cyclists should have some "special area". Bikers? Welll they are free to jam and filter past me in my car. I know my wife has done so in the past :roll: (I have never ridden a motorbike. It never appealed to me. My own parentss were rather overwhelmingly strict on that anyway. and it never seemed worth while to challenge them. I did challenge them on other matters. but not that one :popcorn: My wife then turns up to meet them on a hell of a bike .. in leathers. Go figure..they disapproved very strongly of the bike .. but liked Wildy on instinct,

Should bikers use a bus lane? :scratchchin:

I think they do not need to given they can filter through a lot more safely :popcorn:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:24 
Supporter
Supporter

Cyclists and buses in cities travel at about the same speed which is why lane sharing is practical and safe. Bikers would be travelling at two to three times that speed with the inevitable problems.