Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 01:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:07 
Site Admin

I was sent this Link here ....

EDITED - Error sorry thlink below (in case you are interested!) is the amazing Hubble images (sorry) - The above link NOW WORKS - Ooops !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandte ... mages.html

But is it 'right' :(
Although I do believe that he is so skilled that he would highly unlikely ever hit anyone, is it truly best practice or is this a prime example of how being very careful can work. I say can we make a park for this, but I am not sure that is the 'point' surely it is the thrill of the 'unknown and the desire to use 'what's there' that is part of the involvement and challenge ?
I know that many kids and adults take part in this, and love it - what an amazing sport ! I wonder how long it took him to learn to be this precise, I have seen some amazing things with BMW bikes but the courage to do this is amazing.

I am NOT saying this chap is wrong to do this, but if we say riding on the pavement is wrong, where else does he 'play' and how, there is noting like imagination to challenge someone, so where's the balance of right and wrong.
Is it 'wrong' for the 'streets' OR is it OK? Most if not all people filmed like most of us would have starred in disbelief or amazement. was anyone scarred for themselves? (for him I am sure though!). :shock:
Rarely is anyone ever in any 'danger' that I can see. However is this exactly, why we now have this divide of cycles on paved areas, when it is encouraged. For inner cities (and many outer one's too) where do the kids go to play with their bikes - on their concrete housing estates? So playing on their concrete gardens becomes the norm - then riding on the pavements is totally natural to them.

Is it not the responsibility of all, to remind and encourage good behaviours at all times, and if it were only the very very few, and rare to see a cyclist ride down busy pavements would not the divide be less? Would police on the street ensure less of bad behaviours.
I hate to deny this chap that much fun. I am sure we have to ensure that we all, watch where we go, and go with care and responsibility, can we not all share the roads and paved areas with good judgment.
I cannot condemn a cyclist riding on an empty pavement, when it is clearly the safest place to be, when the roads are narrow and with heavy traffic, BUT I absolutely expect them back on the roadside at the soonish and earliest point. And this is where the judgment comes in. You have to first, (and morally), follow the rules as much as is possible, only ever justifying any breaking of this rule, for your (and others) safety. However this regulation culture is ruling out judgment, and everyone is now so ready to condemn, at the first sign or appearance of breaking a rule, even when on occasion it is for better safety. We cannot put safety of all above rules and regulations and this is where it is becoming hard for government to understand how to proceed and get the balances wrong. And why it is so important to have more well trained Police back on the roads, they can judge and question.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:59 
User

The link has changed... do you have another? :wink:

You've pricked my curiosity!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 15:20 
Supporter
Supporter

Ernest Marsh wrote:
The link has changed... do you have another? :wink:

You've pricked my curiosity!

Indeed. I don't think that "Hubbles' Greatest Hits" actually refers to any kind of dangerous physical contact on the part of the telescope. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 20:31 
Site Admin

Sorry chaps - now corrected above ! the problem with doing too many things at once !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 21:26 
User

We need safe places for kids to play.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 01:54 
Site Admin

I do agree BUT will it be 'the same' can we create the really interesting 'play area' or 'Experience environment', what is the aim of these experiences?
What precisely is the 'fun' satisfaction factor/s ? Is the fact that the public places are sometimes unknown, or dangerous, and so add more value as an experience?
Would another area, be 'as good' if provided? Does it need to be 'controlled' and 'boxed up'?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:10 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I do agree BUT will it be 'the same' can we create the really interesting 'play area' or 'Experience environment', what is the aim of these experiences?
What precisely is the 'fun' satisfaction factor/s ? Is the fact that the public places are sometimes unknown, or dangerous, and so add more value as an experience?
Would another area, be 'as good' if provided? Does it need to be 'controlled' and 'boxed up'?

We really do need more play areas, but in all practicality, such areas will never, ever cater for the abilities for extremely talented riders like these; that's why they resort to using street furniture, there's so much variety as well as challenge. Play areas as extreme as this would be begging for litigation.

I think for the most part that riding didn't pose a problem to nearby bystanders, but there did seem to be one or two moments when some were taken by surprise. I would have hoped those holding the camera would have been better at warning of the risks and aborting the stunt.

That aside: the antics in that video were stunning. I can just about manage to jump over a fallen branch, and that’s with using spuds :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:36 
Site Admin

In reviewing it - a few times - :) I see he (Danny MacAskill) is sponsored, making it more interesting.

I also wonder that when you are being observed it can help make you try or concentrate a bit harder. A similar style perhaps to when we see cops on the road. We ensure that all our riding and driving is as perfect as possible.
However he is obviously very fit and very talented probably through tons of practice and courage etc.

There are parks and he visits some in other Utube films, but they are not as extreme as the streets. I have noticed that they nicely make a point of stopping for red lights. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:40 
User

Yes .. he's talented and I think BMX stunt riding will be highlights of future Olympics just as much as the racing events.
There are some very interesting BMX and skateboarding stunt parks sprnging up . even with some organised competitions.

:bighand:

DO we concentrate more if observed.. :scratchchin:

I've made the Mad Lad and WIldy feel a bit hot under their collars and cough up "furballs" int he past :twisted: (complaints that they feel I am putting them under a "driving test experience" :rotfl: (I will be doing this to Wildy when she gets the "all-clear" eventually. :hehe: just to make sure she's OK and up to "legal speedy normal" :wink: - but we think she will be another month given the hammering she's been through.

More later. On day's leave .. and weather's nice . so bicycle beckons. :lol:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 21:38 
Site Admin

So what would Durham Police do if they met him doing this, with the same level of public around and same riding precision ?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 03:30 

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
So what would Durham Police do if they met him doing this, with the same level of public around and same riding precision ?

Probably arrest the guy for taking photos of the police.