Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Which would you respect more?
The person that let you out of a difficult junction. 38%  38%  [ 13 ]
The person that let you out of a difficult junction. 38%  38%  [ 13 ]
The person that was driving near the limits of their car/themselves. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
The person that was driving near the limits of their car/themselves. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Both. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Both. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Neither. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Neither. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 34
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 19:29 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
Yeah. Silly isn't it? But every effort to debate with Steve seems to get bogged down in a mass of irrelevant detail. But there is an obvious solution.

Yes, it is very silly considering the OP accepted the possibility of the "Slightly wrong wording" and that we were both prepared to leave it at that.
As for your "irrelevant detail": you need look no further than your three faltering arguments within this thread.

Honestly, I don't know why you insisted on making such a mountain out of a molehill. I believe I can be forgiven for wanting to justify my opinion; if you don't like it then just don't respond.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 07:27 
Supporter
Supporter

Steve wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
Yeah. Silly isn't it? But every effort to debate with Steve seems to get bogged down in a mass of irrelevant detail. But there is an obvious solution.

Yes, it is very silly considering the OP accepted the possibility of the "Slightly wrong wording" and that we were both prepared to leave it at that.
As for your "irrelevant detail": you need look no further than your three faltering arguments within this thread.

Honestly, I don't know why you insisted on making such a mountain out of a molehill. I believe I can be forgiven for wanting to justify my opinion; if you don't like it then just don't respond.

OK Steve, you can have the last word :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 14:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
Pratnership wrote:
Ehhh it's all turned into some big logic argument...

Whoa! Again, try starting with the plank in your own eye!

On the logic side, Google "false dichotomy".

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 16:15 
Supporter
Supporter

RobinXe wrote:
On the logic side, Google "false dichotomy". Cheers.

I don't need to. I am aware that Steve is trying to create just such a false dichotomy. But there is no dichotomy between the first two statements which is why "both" or "neither" are valid choices

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 21:50 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
dichotomy
Quote:

Ain't that the study of the male appendage? :lol: Just like lobotomy............the study of mexican musicians

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 22:12 
Supporter
Supporter

samandben wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
dichotomy
Quote:

Ain't that the study of the male appendage? :lol: Just like lobotomy............the study of mexican musicians

I think a ...tomy is something more radical than a mere study. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 00:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
[quote="dcbwhaley
I think a ...tomy is something more radical than a mere study. :lol:[/quote]

Thought it was how to get maximum out for minimum input .

Whoops - mis read - thought you said "TONY" :D :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 20:07 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
I don't need to. I am aware that Steve is trying to create just such a false dichotomy. But there is no dichotomy between the first two statements which is why "both" or "neither" are valid choices

You’ve been given ample opportunity to explain this supposed false dichotomy; thus far you have failed, in fact you've not even tried.

There is little that can be said for those whose method of justification relies wholly on tripping up the opposer, whilst not actually justifying their own claims, as well as not answering any of the questions posed to them (even though all of theirs gets answered with seeming satisfaction), while they hurl insults, when the original point has already been amicably settled!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 20:40 
User

Steve wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:

You’ve been given ample opportunity to explain this supposed false dichotomy; thus far you have failed, in fact you've not even tried.

There is little that can be said for those whose method of justification relies wholly on tripping up the opposer, whilst not actually justifying their own claims, as well as not answering any of the questions posed to them (even though all of theirs gets answered with seeming satisfaction), while they hurl insults, when the original point has already been amicably settled!

Handbags time :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 22:44 
Supporter
Supporter

samandben wrote:
Handbags time :roll:

I need a worthier opponent than Steve before risking my Louis Vuitton handbag in combat :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:37 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:

I need a worthier opponent than Steve before risking my Louis Vuitton handbag in combat :lol:

Ah, but does it have a dichotomy-pouch :lol:

Steve?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 16:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
RobinXe wrote:
On the logic side, Google "false dichotomy". Cheers.

You have clearly failed to understand.

Whilst you are exploring the realms of logical fallacies, you may want to examine the definition of ad hominem, because yours is reaching an egregious level that I'd be surprised to see tolerated much longer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 17:43 
User

RobinXe wrote:
Whilst you are exploring the realms of logical fallacies, you may want to examine the definition of ad hominem, because yours is reaching an egregious level that I'd be surprised to see tolerated much longer.

What was ........ 'Which gets more respect' ..............about, again? Can't we get back to that now? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 04:02 
Site Admin

Pratnership wrote:
To quote myself 'This is just a light hearted poll to show that most people* are more impressed by manners and considerate driving than going as fast as possible.' Perhaps I was wrong in that assumption.
Might as well close it now, since it seems most people think I am one of the Daves, when in fact it could not be further from the truth. I do notice on this site that a lot of people automatically make that assumption sometimes whenever you say something about speed, and leap to the defence of going at speed.

Ah I think you have people wrong - it is because there is a huge degree of precision in every word and every situation - the more you are precise the better the response ...
You have 'assumed' that people can 'respect' someone going at the limit of their car going around a corner (safely) but many would not 'respect' it - they may 'relate' to it but that does not relate to the person showing courtesy.

I have not voted but not because I do not want to vote but because I do not 'understand' what you are getting at?
Talking can be like Chinese whispers - it is complicated. We need precise understanding to try and 'help' you are taking people 'wrong' here.
What is the balance that you are trying to ask ? Do people that like driving, prefer respect or driving precision ?
Even then both are ideal for those that love to drive to the best of their ability.
If you are trying to delve into the depths of precision driving, try asking is throttle steering or right speed/steering wheel set best to circumference a corner? (explain both just in case someone doesn't understand...)
If you want to compare 'value's' or driving skills it will never work as they are all important.
The 20mph poll that I have pointed to is the typical 'loaded' poll that is so tragically typical of many polls thee days. They want or expect you to select the 'propaganda' answers so that they can prove a point. I have re-worded a more tame but more fundamental poll taking it back to the real basics.
People want to help, and love taking part, but nothing around Safe Speed is that 'light hearted' and if it is, then state it is so, or it is automatically taken seriously with serious intent. :)