The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 20:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 18:16 
User

This is hilarious.

If you've not been keeping up:

Quote:
The celebrity chef James Martin – the Yorkshire one off Saturday Kitchen who puts butter in everything – has incurred the wrath of cyclists including Bradley Wiggins after writing a cyclist-baiting article in the Mail on Sunday.

Martin, who moonlights as a motoring correspondent for the paper, wrote this weekend of his hatred for "herbal tea-drinking, Harriet Harman-voting" cyclists (surely we Guardian types have copyright on such insults?) He was fed up, he said, of the "city-boy ponces in fluorescent Spider-Man outfits, shades, bum bags and stupid cleated shoes" who pedal around the lanes near his country residence "with their private parts alarmingly apparent."

So far, so predictable. But in a review of the Tesla electric car this Sunday, he went further, gleefully describing how he had utilised the speedy and silent approach of his test vehicle to sneak up on a pack of weekend cyclists, honk his horn and drive them off the road. "The look of sheer terror as they tottered into the hedge was the best thing I've ever seen in my rear-view mirror," he wrote.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/g ... n-cyclists

They since changed the article on the Mail's website and stipped off the comments, but worth looking around the internet for reaction to his article (and apparent admission of dangerous driving).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive ... rrari.html

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 18:20 
Life Member
Life Member

James Martin comes across as a complete dick in the MoS magazine.

Most of his articles seem to be an excuse to boast about how much money he has and how his personal cars are all better than what he's testing this week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 22:13 
User

But I love Lurpak on me baked spuds and corn on the cob.. Like his recipes.. but take his other opinions with less than a pinch of salt.. and would not repeat what my wife said.. . but you can all guess :lol:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 22:50 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

He has just apologised on his website.

It seems he thought people would find it funny (well I never took it seriously, not that it made me laugh), but he should have known he would get the response he did.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 00:27 
User

Good on him.

OK . both me and Wildy admit that there'sa fine line with "banter"

I know that what seems "bantering fun" to us may not be read in the same light, If someone tells us so.. we are quick to apologise/explain that we did not ever mean literally.

Most .. I am happy to say..accept that the cheeky replies are tongue-in cheek and never ever intended to insult or offend. If someone pms either of us we are quick to reassure/aoplogise It the perspn posts on line..then we hope we see it/read?redress .. /reassure it was just what we' hope to be viewed as our "childish charm which is also "out of the mouth of babes" in bulls eye innocence :lo:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 23:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
My take on the story is that is was done very much tongue in cheek ,but Martin was made to realise that whilst one man can make jokes about such things ( and nowadays gaffs like that would be seem as serious compared to his one about the Brits in china),it is doubtfull if even he could get away with the likes on cyclists.

BTW -MM-what's "Lurpak" :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 17:32 
Life Member
Life Member

I get the impression he's trying to be the new Jezza, but I think he's failing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 21:09 
User

I use Lurpak.. :bunker: botach .. You do not know of LURPAK .. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Umm .. I buy farmer's butter.. lurpak.. countrylife.. anchor .. und also Normandy imports too :cloud9: I tend to buy the "spreadable mix" I do buy the "pure". I keep this on the marble in larder. BUT It ist then rock hard :roll: und I find I have to place to warm so that I can butter knife to "slither a speadable"

I make many a sponge cake which use eggs und BUTTER
which I "cream" in tradional way.

Hand und wooden spoon. :lol:

For other cooking.. Tja. ...

I use lots of olive und other healthy oils .. herbs.. spices. FRESH home grown stuff und I think 80% bought from local farms here. I have large family. I do grow some stuff und our future tempo home .. I can also "do some "good life stuff" there. :lol:

But I have to buy in. I use full variety . from local market/farm shop to Booths etc.

i ACCEPT his apology but will add he should have been more dignified und not made such a silly comment in the first place? :?

I think .. I know .. I am decent -ish cook - I enjoy cooking. It relaxing und the enjoyment?

I cannot really describe what it feel like toi cook something which all who eat it .. say ist "marvellous!"

I am not perhaps as good as IG who has a potential career in foody stuiff .. whenever he retire. :bow: Guy can cook. Really he can und it ist always a sublime :cloud9: experience to me und Ted. OK we are biased here. :roll: But . I have to say GOSH// absolute :cloud9: all the same. Guy has cooked per his foody blogs in "cycling" :lol:

I am acclaimed in immediate family judgement for my poignant family photos. IG for his cooking .. Ted for his landscape photos.

dcb .. und weepy .. I hope to make you smile a lot.

I give some "vignettes" into our personal lives too. We care about others as we do ourselves

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:07 

I take deep offence at him being described as a Yorkshireman (regardless of where he was born).

He is about as Yorkshire as Camembert.

Best thing I ever saw him do was get soundly told off by an old dear in Yorkshire for not cooking a piece of beef all the way through. :D

When he learns to cook a Yorkshire pudding I will revisit my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 13:21 
User

:rotfl: My mother .. my aunty (Wildy's Mama) .. Wildy herself.. my wife Alice and Ted's three sisters indulge in kitchen warfare over Yorhshires. In between time .. My Dad.. myself and Ted have managed to cook up our Yorkshires and all the trimmn's with zero fuss and pure male "matter of fact of focussed "getting things done" :lol: Folk tell me my Yorkshires are "really rather good" :drink2:

My beef? I like it pink.. tender.. mmmmmm! That reminds me.. I have a leg of lamb to rescue!

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 13:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If he did actually do that then he has just gone down in my estimation by ten points - to minus ten! I do watch that program but not so much for him but the great chefs he has on although I may not bother again. Thanks for mentioning it weepej, I'm always interested to know who the anti-cyclists are.

I sometimes think you think I don't cyclie weepej, thinking about the other thread.

It does frighten me on my bike when things go past at me at 70mph. In fact I avoid cycling on big roads wherever possible precisely because I remember times-past when I have done so. I have cycled to Manchester and Oxford, from Birmingham, and have been absolutely scared to death by some of the traffic I hear coming up behind me at speed.

I wonder if you can relate to this? I remember the time I went up to Manchester on mostly NSL and D/C roads and on the night, when it was quiet and I was trying to sleep, I could hear the ringing of traffic in my head, as though I was still on the road. After a full long day of ‘vroom vroom’ in my ears from the traffic passing us it affected my hearing on the night; not nice at all. :(

There is a D/C on my daily commute to work I could use which is a :40: but I think it’s too dangerous for cyclists. Back in the 70s it was a clear open stretch of road with perfect visibility ahead and to the sides. But these days there are cars and vans parked almost the entire length of the inside lane such that you never quite know who or what is going to pop out. So, (and weepej will be pleased to hear this), anyone behind me along that stretch will be doing something less than :40: when I am in the car. (See, I think you could get to like me :D )

In other words I ignore the ignorant posted limit and, as always, do what is safe. If I am going along a :nsl: and see a cyclist ahead I slow down to overtake making sure I leave him plenty of room. If there’s oncoming traffic which would make it tight I hold back until there’s a safe distance between my car and the cyclist. Again, I ignore the speed limit sign which tells me I can legally squeeze past him at the :nsl:

Speed limits are not posted as a ceiling above which it is dangerous to travel; they can never know what is safe.

Slight TD but it's still about cycling :D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 09:06 
User

I think weepy does like us Tone :love:

Back to topic ..

CW's report on the topic.. and this week's CW has a letter from Allan Ramsay who comments on his comment that his "washing poweder is so eco-chummy to won't give a worm a tummy ache." Let's just say that if he did do as he said - then he's admitted to careless .. nay dangerous driving in public. If those cyclists now were to come forward and report the incident :scratchchin: He could end up with burnt fingers from his hot farts of verbal diarrhoea.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/com ... lists.html

CW wrote:
TV chef James Martin could end up in the stew if he goes on attacking cyclists
Wednesday, 16 September 2009 Keith Bingham 14 Comments
Print Comment Mail
They're a tiresome bunch sometimes, these TV chefs. All that shouting and swearing at staff. Now we now have a TV chef, James Martin, venting his spleen at cyclists.

Martin better watch out, that's my advice. Such action could cost him his precious job - if a cyclist he abuses turns out to be the television executive who pays his salary. Or worse, if he should ever happen to cross a bunch of roadies.

Martin's claim, that he drove his car in such a way as to cause a group of cyclists to fall from their bikes, just because he gets annoyed at cyclists jumping red lights, raises some uncomfortable issues.

I can see why he might want to remonstrate with wrongdoers, just as cyclists will do with a driver who cuts them up. But if the cyclist fails to catch the b*****d, he doesn't, so far as I know, go looking for an innocent motorist and beat him up!

Yet that's what the coward Martin seems to have done, selected a random group of cyclists and intentionally set out to drive at them dangerously, before escaping in his motor.

That Martin feels so badly about cyclists suggests a deeper malaise the British Psychological Society might like to study. The possibility that there remains a default setting in sections of society still holding to the belief that the motor is king of the road, that cycling is working class, the poor man's transport.

Martin ought to be more careful who he abuses in future.Because altercations can have very unfortunate consequences.

I recall the fate of a driver in Liverpool who cut up a bunch of riders lawfully flowing across the road ahead of him, to make a right turn at a set of lights. He split the group by driving through the middle of them. Bad mistake.

The lights turned to red. The car stopped. All the bikies caught up and stopped - at a red light! They used to stop at red lights in those days. They got off their bikes and piled them up against the front of car. And one of the riders opened the driver's door, grabbed him by his lapels, yanked him half out, then planted a fist into his jaw which tumbled him back into his seat.

Another story. A double decker bus drove past a cyclist. The conductor leaned out from the open platform at the back and with the palm of his hand, smacked the cyclist across the back of the head. Bit further on, the bus stopped at a bus stop and the cyclist caught up.

The conductor watched as the cyclist dismounted and unfold to his full height of six foot four, before stepping lightly up the platform. The conductor received a broken jaw. The cyclist was fined for assault. I don't know if the conductor was charged.

Then there was the story of the young bored policeman driving down the East Lancashire Road. He spied a bunch of riders and pulled them over, told them that they were breaking the law by riding two-abreast. Absolute nonsense. He asked for their names and, curiously, their occupations, and this was his undoing.

The first cyclist was the transport manager of huge industrial company, whose premises stretched for several hundred yards on other side of the dual carriageway. The second rider was a junior partner in a firm of Liverpool accountants. The third was an inspector of HM Taxes. The fourth was...you get the picture.

Anyway, when the by now sheepish looking officer had completed his note taking, the transport manager asked him for his name and number. He then informed the officer that he would report the matter to his good friend, the Deputy Chief Constable of Lancashire.
The moral of the story, Mr Chef, is be careful you don't end up in the stew.

However, you do not take the law into your own hands. I would not at all recommend committing any of the acts Keith Bingham applauds on the basis that brings you down to the same level of inconsiderate criminality and we would be likely to refer all files for all parties to the CPS accordingly. :popcorn:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.