The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 18:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New drivers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 22:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Something I posted elsewhere ,prompted this post .
Learners get the basic "pass the test " skills from Driving schools .Then WHAT ?
Perhaps ,now ,there's a loophole for some safety training - give the SCP a budget for safety training - let volunteer newbies on to their speed awareness courses - with the "speed kills "bit taken out -just a pure COAST based course , with some skidpan training .
cATCH THEM YOUNG

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New drivers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 23:45 

I'm sure we'd have a nation of much better drivers were that the case - trouble is, that's not "how the game is played"! Excuse my cynicism, but that's not really what the scamera partnerships are about is it? They keep bleating on about how their dearest wish is to have their cameras not making any money, but somehow, they always seem to fall short of that high ideal :roll: Then the government jumped aboard the gravy train and now I think we're as far from having the money spent on good quality driver training as we ever were!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:15 
Supporter
Supporter

The camera income should be ring fenced for driver training. Excellent feedback mechanism there - as driving standards rise there would be less income but also less need for training. :D

Post subject: New drivers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 20:26 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
The camera income should be ring fenced for driver training. Excellent feedback mechanism there - as driving standards rise there would be less income but also less need for training. :D
I beg to differ.
The cameras that generate the greatest income are placed where people feel the most comfortable going faster than the posted speed 'limit' because the posted speed 'limit' is too low for the prevailing conditions.

Drivers who get caught by any such camera would be sent to driver training of one of two flavors:

a) COAST-based. Such training might actually INCREASE - but could not possibly decrease - the likelihood of that driver getting caught by another 'hot camera', either there or somewhere else. COAST-drivers need their speedometer less and less, while the only thing a camera cares about is road speed

b) road speed-based. This might decrease the likelihood of that driver getting caught by another 'hot camera', but it might also increase the likelihood of that driver getting into an accident - possibly at another camera site, possibly anywhere where the driver has to juggle multiple visual inputs of rapidly fluctuating potential consequence.

Neither option is of any interest to the government or the camera industry (pardon my redundancy). Profit margins would shrink. The point is to put up a camera where most people feel the posted speed 'limit' is too slow for the prevailing conditions, sit back and collect.

With option 'a', sooner or later, too many people would start asking questions about why the government is saying one thing by using cameras in conjunction with retarded speed 'limits', and then offering remedial training which contradicts cameras married to such 'limits'; speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

Option 'b', on the other hand, would be too high a price to pay. Collisions would go up. Even if Ks went down, SIs, Is, and fenderbenders would go up way too quickly. The truth would become too clear for a majority which would metastasize in number at a potentially dangerous rate.

Right now, enough people believe the government's spiel about road safety - take a look at how many naysayers exist here now, despite the fact that most of us know that the only thing the speedometer can possibly help us avoid, is a fine. The tenuous balance must not be toyed with by educating the masses in any way.

Recently reread 1984 while in Deutschland ... didn't need my speedometer there either ...

2) Nothing gets hit, except to protect others; see Rule#1
3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
Do not let other road users' mistakes become yours, nor yours become others
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 00:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
dcbwhaley wrote:

Self defeating - the (those in charge ) don't want that - road safety isn't about educating drivers - it's about relieving drivers of cash ,in the name of safety :D :D ,andcreating a little self replicating empire .