User

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staf ... 059844.stm

Look if speed kill - get it right!

BBC wrote:
Apology over speed signs 'error'

Incorrect signs have been "bagged over", the city council said
Villagers who successfully campaigned to get a lower speed limit were shocked when a new road sign was erected allowing motorists to drive at 60mph.

Contractors put a derestricted sign near to the 40mph one which was put up last month in Bagnall Road between Bagnall and Light Oaks, Staffordshire.

The signs are on the Stoke-on-Trent/Staffordshire Moorlands border.

Signs were ordered when the limit was 60, but in the meantime Staffordshire cut its limit, the city council said.

In a statement, the council added: "Our contractor put up the derestricted (60mph) signs on the border heading into Staffordshire.

"These signs were put up in error and we apologise for the mistake.

"The incorrect signs have now been 'bagged over'."

The city council said it put up new speed limit signs in Bagnall Road as part of a traffic-calming scheme on the Stoke-on-Trent side of the border with Staffordshire.

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 22:10 
User

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/7942374.stm

From Durham

BBC Tees wrote:
Road crash speed cut considered

Mrs Hendry died hours after a petition was handed in
A council has pledged to review the speed limit on a busy road where a pensioner died in a car crash.

Ellen Hendry, 81, died in November 2008 on the A690 near her home in Brancepeth village, when she was struck by a Suzuki Swift.

Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 22:20 
User

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/8069564.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/8069564.stm
BBC follow up to above tragedy wrote:
Anger over 'invalid' speed signs

Mrs Hendry died hours after a petition was handed in
The family of a pensioner killed on a busy road have reacted angrily to the news that speed limit signs in their village are "invalid".

Ellen Hendry, 81, was hit by a Suzuki Swift on the A690 near her home in Brancepeth, County Durham, in November.

Villagers have since been told that the road's 40mph signs are "advisory" and the actual speed limit is 60mph.

Durham County Council said it was reviewing the situation. Mrs Hendry's daughter said she was "appalled".

'Technicality'

A statement from the council said: "The police did make us aware that the speed limit signs do not correspond with the existing traffic order.

"But as the whole question of a speed limit through the village was under review, we decided to wait until these matters were resolved.

"However, enforcing the 40mph limit through Brancepeth has never been as issue, as our traffic surveys have shown that the average speed of vehicles using the road is 35mph.

"Nevertheless, in view of this technicality becoming public knowledge, we shall be taking immediate steps to see what can be done to prevent motorists from taking advantage of the situation until the current speed limit review is resolved."

Hours before Mrs Hendry's death, villagers handed in a petition calling for the limit to be reduced from 40mph to 30mph.

Mrs Hendry's daughter, Jaqueline Bottomley, said: "I'm absolutely appalled, I can't believe the signs that say 40mph mean absolutely nothing.

"If the council knew that they should have done something about it."

Mrs Hendry was making her way back to her sheltered accommodation in Russell Close when she was struck.

The driver, a 40-year-old man from the Weardale area, was unhurt.

I feel for the old lady und her family und the man who collide with her. But this was a COAST fail more than a speed fail in all reality? Oder?

Look attack my comment und not me. I am trying to make you think a lot here?

So .. COAST or SPEED issue? DISCUSS UND KEEP IT POLITE PLEASE"! We are about looking at the causes .. potential und to hope no others do this und we all LEARN >> LEARN:>> :LEARN! as result? Oder.

Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 22:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quite an amazing article.

The road is said to be "arterial" and have few houses on it. Even the councillor admits that cars are not travelling as fast as residents think but still they want a lower limit.

How would the drivers know that the sign were advisory?

I think the real problem is caused by cars called "Swift". These kind of names which glorify speed should be banned. We must stick to numbers or letters, for example 911 and GTV.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 23:04 

I think a lot of villagers are actually frightened of the word CAR these days, maybe we should revert back to calling them "Horseless carriages " and have a man with a red flag at the entrance to each "village" to guide them through.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 23:37 
User

I think it as Goebbels once famously und notoriously unde even menacingly state back in 1940s

1940s nightmare propagandist machinery wrote:

repeat a lie often enough und public at large begin to believe it

:popcorn:

Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 06:53 
Supporter
Supporter

graball wrote:
I think a lot of villagers are actually frightened of the word CAR these days, maybe we should revert back to calling them "Horseless carriages " and have a man with a red flag at the entrance to each "village" to guide them through.

Wouldn't get past Health and Safety :)

But I do agree that the Council "should have done something about it". They should have removed the signs if there is no limit.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 07:28 

Our council are always erecting 40MPH signs on roads and then, 6 months later, you see in the paper the order stating that they are applying for the limit. It makes you wonder how many of these restricted limits are actually legal.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 01:20 
New User
New User

At the end of the day the signs may have been invalid but someone was still killed and the man who was driving was not charged with anything not even a mark on a criminal record NFA, so tell me do you think that is right, that if you KILL someone you should be let off what if it was you or one of your family members how would you feel. Do you think he should have been let off with this? (i certainly dont) And yes he may have to wake up every morning with it on his mind but then again he may not think about it at all. :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 13:30 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

berry09 wrote:
At the end of the day the signs may have been invalid but someone was still killed and the man who was driving was not charged with anything not even a mark on a criminal record NFA, so tell me do you think that is right, that if you KILL someone you should be let off what if it was you or one of your family members how would you feel. Do you think he should have been let off with this? (i certainly dont) And yes he may have to wake up every morning with it on his mind but then again he may not think about it at all. :?

"At the end of the day", we don't know the cause of the collision. The driver may well have been within the 40 limit and was driving in a reasonable manner.

We know the pedestrian has just alighted from a bus and in the process of crossing the road. It is a sad but unavoidable truth that the great majority (74% IIRC) of pedestrian casualties has pedestrian error as a contributory factor as a root cause of the collision (such as failed to look). How can one charge a legal driver if a child runs from a blind area, such as behind a parked car/wall/driveway, right into the path of a vehicle?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 13:47 
New User
New User

Last edited by berry09 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 15:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

berry09 wrote:
fair comment but what i mean is wether or not the 40 mph signs were valid or not they were still there

As true as that may be, it has (thus far) not been shown to be relevant.

berry09 wrote:
and this speed was broken
and carried on driving if signs were valid or not

You don't know that, not with the available reports anyway.
I've read other reports, speed (in any way) has not been cited as any form of factor.

berry09 wrote:
he failed to stop

I don't believe any of the reports stated this was a hit-and-run collision.

berry09 wrote:
... this is so annoying that some drivers can get away with doing things like this

What exactly is "things like this"? What do you actually know, which this driver in this case, has done wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 15:26 
New User
New User

all im trying to say is someone should have been charged wether it had been council for the signs or someone else somone died as a result of someone elses mistakes. road accidents ruin ppls lives, and sometimes arent taken seriously ( [u]these are my opinions only [/u])

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 15:28 
User

Hmm a short story :)

A few years ago a relative of mne (distant) Had just retired after working at a bus depot for 40 years, He used to refuel buses and clean them etc.
One afternoon he had gone shopping to wakefield market (by bus of course), On his return from wakefield market to the bus station A bus reversed into him (100% true, i kid you not) Poor old chap was crushed to death :cry:
The bus drivers life was also devastated.

The driver wasn't prosecuted and i really don't see how he could have been, It was an accident and no-one was to blame,
How ironic though.

You can't blame the driver all the time.

Merry Xmas :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 15:41 
New User
New User

same happened to one of my family members not so long ago there was no charges brought against the driver even though they were speeding hadnt stopped till nearly a mile up the road before returning, hadnt reported it someone else had, and there was no brake makes on the road to suggest they had even attempted to slow down it wasnt even took to court :x as i said previously it can wreck the drivers life aswell but in some cases they just forget and move on and the family of the victim cant just do that its awful im sorry if i have offened any1 i didnt mean to. :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 16:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

berry09 wrote:
all im trying to say is someone should have been charged wether it had been council for the signs or someone else somone died as a result of someone elses mistakes. road accidents ruin ppls lives, and sometimes arent taken seriously ( [u]these are my opinions only [/u])

I'm not saying the following occurred (although it is far from unlikely), but it is an important question:
Who should be charged if the driver was within 40mph (40 or 60 limit) and the pedestrian walked from a blind area, without looking?

The point being: one cannot assume where the fault lay in this case.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 23:55 
User

The accident is still being investigated.
If the driver is not at fault then there can be no charges.
Unless we are reduced to the state where somebody has to be charged even if faultless.
Of course, if the pedestrian was at fault then I suppose the driver can sue for compensation from the pedestrians estate.
Meanwhile:
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/3847134.Road_death_triggers_residents____protest/
There is a video attached. The road certainly looks dangerous to cross !

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 00:22 
User

FFS !! Did you see near the end of that video ? Old guy crosses the road when a cars comming towards him, Unbelievable !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 00:54 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Maybe, just maybe, what they need is a zebra crossing.
Of course, I won't dismiss the possibility that the speed limit is inappropriate for that location.