Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 13:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 00:13 
User

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1238934/Number-motorists-caught-speeding-Swindon-halved--AFTER-Gatso-cameras-axed.html

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 08:28 
Supporter
Supporter

jomukuk wrote:

The KSI figures are too low to draw any meaningful conclusion other than that removing the cameras has not unleashed the carnage that the Speed Kills brigade would have us believe they were preventing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 09:34 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
jomukuk wrote:

The KSI figures are too low to draw any meaningful conclusion other than that removing the cameras has not unleashed the carnage that the Speed Kills brigade would have us believe they were preventing

If the SK brigade can trumpet a reduction of one death as a triumph, then I can do so as well.
I have no doubt that the SCP and the SKB will immediately point-out that the figures are so low as to be meaningless (in their "ignore the hypocrisy of our comment" way). I have also no doubt that the newspapers, always so ready to follow the herd, will also do the same.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:47 

I'd want to "keep my powder dry" for a bit longer yet - but it's certainly going to be fun to hear all the pro-camera supporters coming out with the same sort of reasons that we routinely cite (and they routinely dismiss as rubbish!) in reverse!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 13:31 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

jomukuk wrote:
If the SK brigade can trumpet a reduction of one death as a triumph,

viewtopic.php?p=214317#p214317

I agree it is statistically insignificant, but I'm happy to let Swindon 'fight fire with fire' and all that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 16:14 
User

It's in the express too,
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/148 ... eras-axed-

Check out the first comment, Maybe someone from SS ?
GREED CAMERAS
29.12.09, 1:21pm

So we see some vindication for the work of the late Paul Smith of Safe Speed, regarding scameras (no not a spelling mistake). No doubt Brake and others will be annoyed, and demand for a blanket 20 mph limit nationwide will be trotted out. The reality is that the speed kills mantra with automated enforcement masks other issues such as poor driving for the prevailing conditions, so 100 mph on a deserted motorway (146mph if you are a traffic cop testing a new patrol car) in good clear weather can be perfectly safe, but 50 mph is too fast in torrential rain in the rush hour, on the same road.