Attachment:
tumbleweed.gif
tumbleweed.gif [ 10 KiB | Viewed 12941 times ]

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: SPECS3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:39 
Gold Member
Gold Member

And since weepej will have been notified of new posts watching this thread and seen my request to answer a direct and perfectly reasonable question, in the absence of a reply and further repeated requests I conclude...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 22:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Bit O/T-but in place of the cherries ,SUBSTITUTE two silverskin onions ,as in a joke by someone like J Carrot, shown to hubby by wife (as he comes round after vasectomy ) - more in Tone's line of work .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:lol:

Well, to his credit weepej did answer, eventually, even if the answer did make no sense and he still gets out the kitchen when too hot otherwise he would have answered Steve's earlier 'too difficult to rebut' question.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 17:36 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Well, to his credit weepej did answer, eventually, even if the answer did make no sense

No sense?

Do I really have to explain why:

a) putting the speed cushions closer to the kerb is a silly idea
b) creating a flat path between them by offsetting them is a silly idea?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 19:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I can't help but notice your convenient dodge there weepej.

How about the rest of the post. Here is it again:
Big Tone wrote:
... otherwise he would have answered Steve's earlier 'too difficult to rebut' question.

So do you want to tackle that one?

Please do explain the two points you raised about the 'cushions'; doing so will help explore the issue at hand. However, I ask that you keep those responses within the original thread.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:08 
User

Steve wrote:
weepej wrote:
... meanwhile those tearing around can be logged tracked down and prosecuted.

If their vehicle has a VRM, a VRM which isn't cloned or tampered with, and the registration details are correct.

I can foresee people who are criminally minded enough such that they are determined to 'tear around', to not bother with all that palarva!

Sigh, even people with false plates can be logged and tracked....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:13 
User

Steve wrote:

I already did.

weepej wrote:
They should use their judgement, but not exceed the posted limit. Stated explicity in the highway code.

Again, if a driver travels down a road at 80mph every day for three months and doesn't crash how does he know other people aren't crashing at the same speed because that speed is too fast for the road in question?

The road needs to be looked at as a system, not just on an individual car by car basis.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 13:35 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
Sigh, even people with false plates can be logged and tracked....

Yes the false details will be logged and tracked (which is quite obvious, unless no plate is used at all), but it won't do any good while the car is hidden while not in use (well it would be a bit daft to keep that vehicle permanently plain sight with the errant details), or those details are changed (very easily done). Add to that the reduced level of trafpol to confront the buggers...

So yes the plates and be logged and tracked, but that doesn't mean anything if the offender isn't actually stopped or found.

Sigh back at you weepej.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 13:43 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
Steve wrote:

I already did.

That's funny. Since posing that question to you, you had never even responded to me until now; you can see that for yourself. Are you imagining things, again!

weepej wrote:
weepej wrote:
They should use their judgement, but not exceed the posted limit. Stated explicity in the highway code.

Again, if a driver travels down a road at 80mph every day for three months and doesn't crash how does he know other people aren't crashing at the same speed because that speed is too fast for the road in question?

I already understand the concepts of risk, headroom, and boundaries of knowledge; thank you. Of course that driver won't know, that why judgement is so important!
Unfortunately (for you), this wasn't the issue I raised. You response is a nice diversionary tactic :roll: :lol:

Your two statements I had issue with was:
1) "An individual driver driving down a road is in no position to judge the road as a whole"
2) "They should use their judgement ..."

My original question (which I again linked above) was for you was: "How do you reconcile these seemingly contradictory statements? Are they in that position or not?"
Do you want to have another go - again!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 18:08 

Quote:
weepej wrote:

weepej wrote:They should use their judgement, but not exceed the posted limit. Stated explicity in the highway code.

So in the same vein, if a driver drives down the same road (with a 50mph limit,say), at 30MPH every day and does crash regularly (because they are a crap driver) does that mean that the road speed in general is too high?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 18:36 
User

graball wrote:
So in the same vein, if a driver drives down the same road (with a 50mph limit,say), at 30MPH every day and does crash regularly (because they are a crap driver) does that mean that the road speed in general is too high?

Torture is illegal in the UK, even if it's logic being tortured I believe.

Last edited by weepej on Wed Dec 30, 2009 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 18:48 

is that a "yes" from you then or another attempt to dodge the question?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 18:57 
User

graball wrote:
is that a "yes" from you then or another attempt to dodge the question?

Please, find me an example of a driver that "crashes regulary driving at 30mph in a 50mph because they are a crap driver".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 19:08 

The point that I am trying to make which is apparently above your head is that some drivers will crash regulary at 30mph or below (even if it's parking in a car park ) and some drivers can negotiate certain roads safely at 80mph but THAT isn't necessarily down to the road, so should the road speed be set for the safer driver or the driver that has the most accidents? .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 20:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Am I the only person who has noticed that weepej has gone for graball instead of Steve's 'much more uncomfortable' question....

Someone here must have a house full of fruit :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 20:05 

weepej is like Greenshed, they answer what they chose to answer (badly) and totally ignore anything that can't be "flanneled".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 20:54 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Big Tone wrote:
Am I the only person who has noticed that weepej has gone for graball instead of Steve's 'much more uncomfortable' question....

That's not to detract from grabby's own valid point.

I did notice weepej has logged on since graball's last response, but I'm happy to allow weepie a bit more time to properly consider his response.
However, should he start anew within other threads and not respond to this simple & short one, then the high ground can be claimed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 21:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Absolutely! No disrespect to you Graball :bow:. Just a personal observation of what looks like cherry picking.

The stage is yours weepej...