Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 22:58 

Hi Horse,

For what it's worth, I tried imagining what I'd think of I was watching the carnival. The honest answer is that I don't think it would have gone in. Like (I guess) most people, I never assume an accident could happen to me - what with me being such a brilliant driver & all that! It certainly wouldn't have offended me, but then neither would the CSCP one. Both would have raised a bit of a smile, maybe.

It's hard to think what would have made me sit up and think, to be honest. Photos of injuries from not wearing seat belts made me think - as did some of those little cartoon "public information" films in the 70s when I was a kid. I think getting to them young helps - before they get all hardened and cynical. I also feel there ought to be a ban on showing car crashes in slow motion on TV - it just creates the impression that it's all very serene with the dummy snuggling into the soft, fluffy airbag. Archive footage of colonel Stapp in America getting out of his primitive crash simulator with extensive bruising and bloodshot eyes made me think too...

The best one would be, I guess, seeing a friend or loved one come to grief, but by then, of course, it's too late. In the days before seat belts, a late colleague of mine (chivalrous chap that he was!) used to extend his arm across the front of his passenger during heavy braking to "restrain" them in case he crashed! I think this typifies what people think a crash would be like!

Also, in my wild & mis-spent yourth, I saw loads of my mates "fall off" the road on plenty of occasions with no injuries at all. This makes it very hard (especially when you're an indestructive adolescent lad) to belive that crashes can hurt!

Sorry there's no helpful suggestions in there, just a random collection of thoughts really but at least it shows some of the thought processes...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 23:21 

Hardest hitting message?

Nothing comes close to a quietly spoken account by a good orator of something they have first hand experience of. In most cases downplaying the gory details and leaving the worst bits to the imagination of the listener can actually strengthen the effect.

A good example of this would be one or two of Ian's posts relating his professional experiences on these forums. I have to say he can bring a lump to my throat, with a poignant reminder of what we are really talking about, in a way that none of the "over-egged" melodrama (such as the topic of this thread) will ever do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 23:25 
Life Member
Life Member

Mole wrote:
Also, in my wild & mis-spent yourth, I saw loads of my mates "fall off" the road on plenty of occasions with no injuries at all. This makes it very hard (especially when you're an indestructive adolescent lad) to belive that crashes can hurt!

I had a few bad crashes in my wild youth, and I know only too well how much they hurt - and how quickly they happen. Perhaps that's part of the reason why I have such little tolerance for the bo*****s spoken by the 'speed kills' bunch.

Cheers
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 23:56 
Site Admin

JT wrote:
Nothing comes close to a quietly spoken account by a good orator of something they have first hand experience of. In most cases downplaying the gory details and leaving the worst bits to the imagination of the listener can actually strengthen the effect.

Speaking personally I couldn't agree more.

But what about the 50% of the population who are of below average intelligence?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 00:23 
User

Like Aussie Adrian? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 00:26 

SafeSpeed wrote:
JT wrote:

Perhaps it's not their intelligence that we need to appeal to, but their imagination.

When I was a 17 year old lunatic with more motorbike than sense, the threat of personal injury didn't really bother me. Even when I lost a very close friend, whilst it shocked me a bit I don't think it actually had any beneficial effect on either my skills or my attitude.

I think there are several distinct mindsets. One is "can't happen to me", but even stripping that away doesn't necessarily work, as it may be underlaid with "it might happen to me but I accept the risk". What finally worked with me was the thoughts of what effect it would have on those around me, and how selfish it was not to consider that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 01:21 
Site Admin

JT wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
JT wrote:

Perhaps it's not their intelligence that we need to appeal to, but their imagination.

Cool, well, I'm learning here. Sophisticated imagination is more frequently available (if not exclusively available) to those with more sophisticated intelligences.

So I now guess that we need more graphic messages for stupider people (as a broad generalisation)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 01:42 
User

JT wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
JT wrote:

When I was a 17 year old lunatic with more motorbike than sense, the threat of personal injury didn't really bother me. Even when I lost a very close friend, whilst it shocked me a bit I don't think it actually had any beneficial effect on either my skills or my attitude.

Had school chum who died the first Uni Christmas vacation. He was in a mini and cross wind took him by surprise on a corner. Suspect my old school chum had taken the corner (tight bend on an A road in Preston) faster than he should have done. He was 18 at the time. It did not seem to affect me or any one of my then circle of school chums that much.

IG, like Ian, on the other hand, can really hit hard when he wants to.

JT wrote:
I think there are several distinct mindsets. One is "can't happen to me", but even stripping that away doesn't necessarily work, as it may be underlaid with "it might happen to me but I accept the risk". What finally worked with me was the thoughts of what effect it would have on those around me, and how selfish it was not to consider that.

Guess this family are in a different set up anyway - we lived through it anyway.

My problem with JJ's or Steve's campaign is the random nature of the campaign and handing out flowers.

I am trying to see if the German policeman in this family can send copy of the Pfalz "Aha" video. Apparently, this is hard hitting. They use the A/bahn CCTV footage showing the car driving at the speed being prosecuted - this is are limited to 130 kph - and they programmed some realsitic nasty consequences of tailgating, "stinkfinger" and so on - with graduated consequences from shunts to full scale disaster. The sting in the tail is that they have the offender starring in the driving seat in this game - so it has a real nightmare effect as to the consequences of really bad driving.

I understand from a Mannheim local paper article that it does appear to have sobering effects on the Turbo Rolfs of the area.....

Personally think this is better than naff hearse and phony flowers in the middle of Kendal. (Have a thing about flowers - they bring lurgies into my wards....MRSA likes petals.....)

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.