The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wing mirrors
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 00:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
DON'T FORGET - any mirror will only show the bit designed to be seen .

A LOOK OVER THE SHOULDER REVEALS A LOT MORE THAN A MIRROR CAN

SO -moving out on motorway - mirror /signal ,then mirror and then LOOK OVER THE RIGHT SHOULDER -and if moving left - OVER THE LEFT SHOULDER

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 22:40 
User

When I was learning how to drive, and had graduated from the parking lots to neighborhood streets, I didn't trust the mirrors at all. I simply looked over the appropriate shoulder.

I didn't learn to use the mirrors at all until I got my license at age 21. Having avoided using the mirrors til then, it was plainly obvious what they could and couldn't show.

I forget who 'suggested' that we should learn how to drive in a Model T or something, but I wouldn't have a problem with teaching kids to drive without the mirrors at first. I consider them supplemental observational aids in any vehicle where you can naturally see to the rear very well (Chevy Caprice Estates have been compared to fishbowls).

In the name of crash survivability, I see that the driver's view is being increasingly sacrificed, so what I just said might no longer apply.

2) Nothing gets hit, except to protect others; see Rule#1
3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
Do not let other road users' mistakes become yours, nor yours become others
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 22:53 
User

botach wrote:
- moving out on motorway - mirror /signal ,then mirror and then LOOK OVER THE RIGHT SHOULDER -and if moving left - OVER THE LEFT SHOULDER
By the time I became a taxi driver, I'd learned to use the mirrors differently, regardless of the environment.

Whenever I am more than 99% certain of what's going on in front of me for the next two seconds, I give one of the mirrors a quick glance (usually the inner rearview, though not always). This usually means that in the span of five seconds, I've looked in two mirrors.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with preparing any actual lane change. It has everything to do with preparing for EVERY potential lane change, regardless of traffic conditions.

When I'm ready to change lanes - and by now it should be obvious that I'm usually constantly ready to do so - I can combine the signaling, the over the shoulder glance, and if absolutely necessary, the lane change, all in a single maneuver. Not that that's how I always do it; whenever spacetime allows, I signal, then glance, then glance again while beginning the lane adjustment until I'm sure I'm safely in the new lane, then I look ahead til I'm square in my new lane.

Then it's back to the mirrors every couple of seconds or so.

3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 22:15 
User

Well I guess according to the diagrams posted, my mirror use is completely wrong. I like to have the side of my car visible in both mirrors in order to keep my sense of scale, and therefore my perception of distance, calibrated correctly.

However before doing any actual manouvre, i'll do a blindspot check by actually turning my head anyway, so I figure it doesn't matter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 00:06 
User

Lum wrote:
I like to have the side of my car visible in both mirrors in order to keep my sense of scale, and therefore my perception of distance, calibrated correctly.

However before doing any actual maneuvre, i'll do a blindspot check by actually turning my head anyway, so I figure it doesn't matter
Lum, I'll only use the side mirror position you've mentioned when parallel parking in a very tight space; my car is 18 feet long, and I usually tighten the mirrors if I need to squeeze into a space less than 22 feet long.

I like to have the side of my car visible in the side mirrors also ... when I move my head beyond its normal driving positions.

Normally,

1) If I only move my eyes, I never see my car's edges (unless parking in tight spaces; see above).
2) If I only turn my head, I barely see my car's edges in NYC. On highways this is unnecessary; see the following wider adjustment .
3) If I turn my head AND also crane my neck at all away from perfectly vertical, I barely see my car's edges while driving on highways and the like, where pedestrians and frequent stopping are unlikely.

When I do a blindspot check, I also turn my head. My blindspots are smaller than yours, though. In fact, on the offchance I'm driving a car smaller than mine, I can usually see both the blindspot and the corresponding sideview mirror in the same glance. I prefer calibrating the sideview mirrors' outer edges to the edges of my blindspots, rather their inner edges to the edges of my car.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 00:26 
User

I guess it doesn't matter too much either way. Simply using your wing mirrors already puts you above most drivers these days :)

The way I figure is that the mirrors are to get a general sense of what is going on around you, and for planning your next moves (hence my requirement to keep the sense of scale in check), when you're actually going to make a move, mirrors are no substitute for actually turning around and having a look.

As for reversing, in some cars I've pointed them down so I can see the curb, but in my current car, no mirror angle (including the rear view mirror) lets me see where the boot of my car is due to the way it slopes downwards from the rear windscreen, and slightly inwards at the sides, and it overhangs the rear wheels by about 2 feet, so I've taken to just opening the door and sticking my head out to make sure I'm not about to reverse into a wall or something.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 00:47 
Site Admin

Been driving various vehicles recently and generally I like to see some car in the door mirrors - have one convex and one flat - although more recently the added blindspot mirrors too. I often adjust for the type of driving that I too including for trailer driving. I also liek the rear view mirror to have a small section of the side window in too ...
I also have the sun visor mirror in action too as that gives other additional information.
There is no substitute for an over the shoulder 'life-saver' glance / look and I will frequently do this too.
I agree that frequent mirror check for control pre-action manoeuvres is better than 'just prior' to any manoeuvre.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 21:24 

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I also have the sun visor mirror in action too as that gives other additional information.

Lipstick smudge status by any chance???

(Sorry, couldn't resist)!
:coat: