Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 08:42 

Quote:
Mind Driver
Sight lines I would be wary of. I would reduce the sight lines of the main road (preferably through the use of hills and valleys if possible) but I would want the sight lines on a minor road/major junction to be as far as possible.

Mind Driver, I get the impression from your earlier posts that you haven't been driving long but at the same time you seem to have the views (as highlited above) similar to modern road planners. Unfortunately in my experience (35 plus years of driving averaging about 30k per year or more) modern road planners don't have the right answers (as illustrated in the fact that we don't have the safest roads any more) Modern road planners aren't maing safer roads BUT are slowing traffic down. Reducing sight lines on main roads with dips/valleys etc isn't going to make the roads safer as any experienced driver will tell you, it will just cut down overtaking opportunities and make riskier overtaking or at best cause traffic bunching. The road narrowing techniques that you talk about have been used by our local council BUT only as an excuse to reduce perfectly good NSL roads to 40 MPH roads...they aren't benefiting any one but the road debris suggests they are making the roads more hazardous while at the same time causing congestion.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 15:25 
User

graball wrote:
Mind Driver, I get the impression from your earlier posts that you haven't been driving long but at the same time you seem to have the views (as highlited above) similar to modern road planners. Unfortunately in my experience (35 plus years of driving averaging about 30k per year or more) modern road planners don't have the right answers (as illustrated in the fact that we don't have the safest roads any more) Modern road planners aren't maing safer roads BUT are slowing traffic down. Reducing sight lines on main roads with dips/valleys etc isn't going to make the roads safer as any experienced driver will tell you, it will just cut down overtaking opportunities and make riskier overtaking or at best cause traffic bunching. The road narrowing techniques that you talk about have been used by our local council BUT only as an excuse to reduce perfectly good NSL roads to 40 MPH roads...they aren't benefiting any one but the road debris suggests they are making the roads more hazardous while at the same time causing congestion.

Spot on, been on the road 2 years just. These techniques have their uses. In high risk areas it makes sense to use the road to slow traffic rather than legislation. Similarly if your approaching a equal class T junction slowing traffic before that would be of benefit.

I appreciate your points, I intend to follow a career in road safety research (even applied to TRL :bunker: ). Can only say what I find from my own experience and research but am open to people with more experience ideas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 16:44 
New User
New User

Is this the James May (Captain Slow) :drive1: from top gear?. :loco: Its typical of today they want us to crawl along @30mph, When all new cars are constantly being upgraded, better braking, better stearing,ETC.
There are loads of what are called "A" roads that are not in keeping with todays standards.
If the roads get anymore constricted we might as well all buy older cars (like Captain Slow) and only pay £25 a year Road tax, or a HYBRID like toyota its only £15 a year.
OR PERHAPS IT WOULD BE BETTER IF EVERYBODY WORKED IN THE AREA THEY LIVE IN, so no travelling!!!!
" good ways to reduce tax to the GOV.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 16:50 
Supporter
Supporter

[quote="saleen"]... and only pay £25 a year Road tax, or a HYBRID like toyota its only £15 a year.

Just wait for next week's budget :cry: