Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 00:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
All together "Shame" . And no ,I'm not glorifying another "vandal attack" .Got the story from son's GF ,who was on her way home .All of a sudden there was a loud bang and smoke poured out .That was last night ,and today it's still unbagged .( For anyone local ,it's on Greenmoor road ,CV10 7EY), just outside Sir Thomas Moore school .)Hopefully this will be a case of RIP( Rust in peace)
And they'd just upgraded it to one of the digital types too ."The capacirors canna take the strain capt'n" - or the heat would be my guess .

The square on the rear was a warning label , to let those with dishonerable intent know it was being guarded by Warks finest .

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 21:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I wonder if it is just me who sees the face of a demon on your second picture Botach. True colours, or should that be Truvelo colours.....? :roll:

Just for the record, you say it's by a school. That's important!

So I would not be opposed to it so much if it was on a timer and active only when school kids are there. i.e. Arriving, at lunch time, leaving to go home and not active during school holidays.

But they don't!!!

It could ping me on Monday night at midnight coming back from dancing at Ceroc with absolutely nothing or no-one around and I would be done for speeding five mph over the limit because it is 'dangerous' – more dangerous than doing five mph less when the kids are actually there! It's bullshit!

(Sorry mods :oops: I'm shooting from the hip tonight). :bunker:

So once again, it has absolutely nothing to do with intelligent or informed or scientifically unbiased road safety :x

There are places on my way to work which don't have speed cameras, next to schools. So how can it be that kids are not rolled out on the tarmac like pastry because there is no Speed camera there?

They have what I believe is called a human being holding a large lollypop in a hi-viz jacket who intelligently brings the traffic to a halt.

Of course the kids should also be able to differentiate between a good and bad time to step into the road but the poor things have other things on their minds, like listening to an MP3/4 player or chatting on their lovely phone dad bought them, so they simply don't have the time for anything else and their poor parents just don't have the time or brains to educate them like I was.

"Please help me nanny state! I don't know how to cross a road or be a responsible parent and the product of my loins needs protecting!"

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 23:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:D :D

Here's an areial view of school exit and Cam .The road name ( from the aerial view )occupies about 40m,so te cam is approx 180m AFTER the school ,and facing away from the school( Gatso) .

What is not shown is the division of the road into three lanes outside the school ( try multimap.com on cv10 7ez)- one opposite the gates for residents parking, one outside the school for buses ( which provide a nice hiding place for those deciding to cross the road ) ans a single lane between the parked vehicles -making the road at chucking out time one to be avoided .So for a good distance before the school entrance and well past the camera at chucking out time ,it's nigh on impossible to do any more than 10mph .For all the good the camera does between about 830- 9/00 and 15.00 -1530 it might as well be in the nearby canal .
That's during school going in /chucking out .Rest of the day -there's none of the teenagers about( Secondary school) ,but the road is now two lane ( with a parking lane ) .What the camera does do is to focus attention away from the exit of the Sports ground ( just after cam markings) .
For good measure ,the ground past the school entrance is flat ,but immediately before the camera it slopes ,and the 10%+2 can easily be passed when the road is clear ( like at midnight).So it's not exactly sited for safety ,is it ,more like Kerching .But if the road is safer now ,it's down to the imposed one way system rather than what will get the credit -the camera .Wonder how many little darlings will be endangered whilst it's out of action ?

And as for visibility - look at my first photo - the trees are just starting to help the road sign beside the camera block out part of it .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 03:43 
User

Hey, Botach, Tone......Near me there is a primary school on a small lane which ajoins a minor B road at a very small "Y" junction. Every morning at rush hour, the small lane and the "B" road is almost blocked both sides by caring parents of the dear little mites who can't walk more than 10 yards..

The "Y" junction on to the "B" road is dangerous even when it's clear, When the speed-hating parents have parked all-over and around this junction on pavement etc (let alone within the 15 metre legal restriction of a junction law). They're dam well parked ON it, NOT within!........15 bloody metres!

Do the Police do anything about the danger to other road users? Nah!.........Do they Hell as like.

If you speed past it at more than 3mph though and you're a child Killer!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 08:33 
Supporter
Supporter

Draco wrote:

Stationary cars do not kill people. Cars travelling at over 3mph sometime do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
Draco wrote:

Stationary cars do not kill people. Cars travelling at over 3mph sometime do.
I think Draco is trying to point out the hypocrisy dude.

I have a situation exactly as you describe on my way to work; cars parked absolutely everywhere! To be safe I travel at a snail's pace while they desperately try opening the door to knock me off my bicycle as I pass them on the 'road of eggshells'.

But on the upside I get to look at all the yummy mummies :D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 13:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Know this post is a bit old ,but there's a bit in one of our locals today ,which looks like an attempt at a cover up,or the SCP getting caught with trousers down .The main bit is about switching off cameras .But there's a bit on the above camera "A Shire Hall spokesperson told the News: "The camera is out of action because it was set alight in a vandalism attack" says the article .Strange that at the time ,there were no shoutings and screaming s in the local papers about placing kids in danger .Add to which witnesses say camera gave out bang and belched smoke .This was not in the middle of the night ,but approx 20.30 ,in full view of several nearby houses .Me thinks the SCP would like this one kept under the carpet .

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/News/Spe ... f-fear.htm