User

:gatso2: Belfast Telegraph, August 16, 2010

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 13087.html

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 20:27 
Supporter
Supporter

Quote:
the common sense notion that wearing a helmet surely provides one's fragile skull with more protection than not wearing one.

Good old "common sense". So much more reliable than peer reviewed scientific research.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 22:41 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

That would cause me to become very disinterested in cycling!

Any decrease in cycling casualty rates would possibly be due to some taking the car instead, or not bothering at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 07:14 
Supporter
Supporter

Steve wrote:
That would cause me to become very disinterested in cycling!

Disinterested???

Quote:
Any decrease in cycling casualty rates would possibly be due to some taking the car instead, or not bothering at all.

As seen in Australia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:07 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
Disinterested???

Uninterested! :oops:

dcbwhaley wrote:
Quote:

As seen in Australia

Some folks would find it useful to be shown what happened in Oz:
"This suggests the greatest effect of the helmet law was not to encourage cyclists to wear helmets, but to discourage cycling."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:08 
Supporter
Supporter

Steve wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
Disinterested???

Sorry to a be pedant but you might actually have meant "disinterested" which would have opened an interesting debate :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 13:26 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Steve wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
Disinterested???

Sorry to a be pedant but you might actually have meant "disinterested" which would have opened an interesting debate :D

..lazy ? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 13:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have to admit that the confusion of disinterested and uninterested drives me to distraction along with:

principle and principal
discrete and discreet...

Well, I could go on but I've lost interest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 13:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

affect and effect
brake and break
flaunt and flout...

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 16:04 
User

Whilst I can undestand how wearing a cycle helmet in a hot enviroment like Oz might be somewhat uncomfortable if you are cycling hard. In the cooler UK I cannot really see why wearing a helmet should put anyone off cycling any more than. Oh Wearing shoes might put someone off walking. (Or wearing a seatbelt might put someone off driving) :?

Please explain!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 16:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can I cheekily play the "if it saves one life" card so beloved of BRAKE on this subject and call for cycling to be immediately banned on grounds of high danger levels. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 17:03 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Dusty wrote:
Whilst I can undestand how wearing a cycle helmet in a hot enviroment like Oz might be somewhat uncomfortable if you are cycling hard. In the cooler UK I cannot really see why wearing a helmet should put anyone off cycling any more than. Oh Wearing shoes might put someone off walking. (Or wearing a seatbelt might put someone off driving) :?

Please explain!

I get hot & sweaty when cycling (not a pretty sight), even when it’s fairly cold out.
Plus it messes up the hair - no good for folks who don’t adopt today’s generation’s random hair styles.
And it’s something else to lug around when you get to wherever.

Wearing shoes or seatbelts doesn’t mess up your hair, or make you sweatier (OK, that’s not necessarily true for seatbelts, but many cars have aircon) and they aren’t things that must still be separately carried around when not travelling.

I used to wear a helmet when pushing the envelope, but my competitive ‘shave every second’ days have long been over :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 22:25 
User

:gatso2: More information here -

http://www.u.tv/News/Young-cyclists-ris ... 1139c5298e

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 22:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
CJG wrote:

Thinking back to my teen years - what next - I've had knees full of gravel ,from wearing short trousers - had they been full length ,I'd have had a knee full of gravel and trouser . I've come off over the top - for which I'd have thought a third leg protector might have been of some use ( didn't cause problems - we have four kids), and fail to see what protection a skid lid might afford against a car or HGV impact . Now if they decide kids on bikes need skid lids, well why not go down the route of making it a legal requirement for all two wheel vehicle riders to be on full leathers and Motorcycle helmet .It stinks of shades of the outgoing Brown namby ,prepare for legal bills" parliament .

Perhaps it's time to introduce the neurosurgeons press to the equivalent of the rubber rings for RAMS ( the sheep type),fitted somewhere under the rear end,around the operating system .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 16:58 
Supporter
Supporter

Point the first. I do wish we could stop calling them cycle helmets. The word helmet suggests that they offer real protection in the way that a motorcycle, cricket, or industrial safety helmet does. They are little more than polystyrene bump caps offering limited protection against minor impacts.

Point the second, a real hobby-horse of mine. Why do the safety Mafia only target cyclists about these caps? The majority of serious pedestrian RTAs are head injuries, a large number of motorists suffer head injuries in RTAs, lots of people suffer head injuries in domestic situations - falling down stairs for example. If every body wore a bump cap all their waking hours many head injuries would be avoided. It would be a minor inconvenience but nowhere near as inconvenient as having your your brain mashed up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 07:29 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Point the second, a real hobby-horse of mine. Why do the safety Mafia only target cyclists about these caps? The majority of serious pedestrian RTAs are head injuries, a large number of motorists suffer head injuries in RTAs, lots of people suffer head injuries in domestic situations - falling down stairs for example. If every body wore a bump cap all their waking hours many head injuries would be avoided. It would be a minor inconvenience but nowhere near as inconvenient as having your your brain mashed up.

Not saftely Mafia, there's public demand to make cyclists wear them. I think it's primarily because people on cycles are seen as rule breakers and making them do something is a way of imposing order on them, making them compliant.

And yes, I've read that compelling motorists to wear head protection would be a far better use of legislation.

Also, I think many "Mr Toad" car drivers would like cyclists to wear them as they know how bad their driving is and if somebody else wearing something can mitigate the results their own bad driving then that's a good thing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:29 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
I think it's primarily because people on cycles are seen as rule breakers and making them do something is a way of imposing order on them, making them compliant.

I think you are wrong! I don't see minors as lawbreakers, especially when supervised.

weepej wrote:
And yes, I've read that compelling motorists to wear head protection would be a far better use of legislation.

So much for the 'spike on the wheel' thought experiment :D

weepej wrote:
Also, I think many "Mr Toad" car drivers would like cyclists to wear them as they know how bad their driving is and if somebody else wearing something can mitigate the results their own bad driving then that's a good thing.

Possibly, but I suspect there are extremely few of them, otherwise those with helmets would be greatly over-represented in collisions (over and above 'competitive' fitness cycling and rider risk homoeostasis).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 17:19 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
If every body wore a bump cap all their waking hours many head injuries would be avoided. It would be a minor inconvenience but nowhere near as inconvenient as having your your brain mashed up.

I take it you don't wear one all the time, though - so obviously you're unconvinced by the argument :P

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 21:02 
Supporter
Supporter

PeterE wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
If every body wore a bump cap all their waking hours many head injuries would be avoided. It would be a minor inconvenience but nowhere near as inconvenient as having your your brain mashed up.

I take it you don't wear one all the time, though - so obviously you're unconvinced by the argument :P

Peter, surely you know me well enough to realise that that was a parody of the common argument used by the pro-cycle helmet lobby. And why do you take it that I don't wear a bump cap all the time?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 22:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
botach wrote:
CJG wrote:

Thinking back to my teen years - what next - I've had knees full of gravel ,from wearing short trousers - had they been full length ,I'd have had a knee full of gravel and trouser . I've come off over the top - for which I'd have thought a third leg protector might have been of some use ( didn't cause problems - we have four kids), and fail to see what protection a skid lid might afford against a car or HGV impact . Now if they decide kids on bikes need skid lids, well why not go down the route of making it a legal requirement for all two wheel vehicle riders to be on full leathers and Motorcycle helmet .It stinks of shades of the outgoing Brown namby ,prepare for legal bills" parliament .

Perhaps it's time to introduce the neurosurgeons press to the equivalent of the rubber rings for RAMS ( the sheep type),fitted somewhere under the rear end,around the operating system .

dcb - think you NEVER got round to answering this post -CHERRY PICKING COMES TO MIND- OR THE WEEPY MINDSET -let is know which one you are please . .