Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Safety Blitz catches 45
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 18:40 
User

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/cumbria-police-spot-45-driving-offences-during-safety-campaign-1.753512?referrerPath=news

Cumbria News and Star wrote:
Cumbria police spot 45 driving offences during safety campaign
By Nick Griffiths Crime Reporter

Police spotted 45 driving offences and seized a number of cars during a three-week blitz on young menace motorists in west Cumbria.

Six people were caught speeding, eight drivers were spotted using mobile phones and 14 were not wearing seatbelts.

Nine defects were found on cars, two motorists were caught driving with dodgy tyres and two were pulled over for dangerous behaviour.

All were handed fines, while an extra four will face a court over a mixture of speeding or rogue driving allegations.

Police highlighted the results as part of a joint campaign with the News & Star to try to bring home to drivers the risks of reckless driving.

The crackdown, carried out in Copeland throughout most of August, was run as part of Operation Orwell – which targets bad driving among motorists aged 25 and under.

Inspector Andy Wilkinson, in charge of roads policing in north and west Cumbria, spelled out the reasons behind the operation.

“This age range is the one most likely to be involved in road traffic collisions,” he said.

“More importantly, they are more likely to be involved in the more serious collisions.”

Officers put this down to a mixture of lack of driving ability, a higher likelihood to not be wearing a seatbelt and a greater chance of rogue behaviour while behind the wheel.

Operation Orwell runs alongside normal police patrols and can target accident blackspots and areas where there is known to be a problem with rogue drivers.

Officers also hold events in which other agencies such as the fire service are brought in to speak to drivers and highlight the consequences of bad driving.

Insp Wilkinson added: “We are actively committed to reducing collisions involving all age groups.

“We try to encourage road safety and safe and courteous driving – but we will actively prosecute those who put others at risk.”

Great to see that POLICE actually SEIZED cars from some offenders - yet they don't get called "Safety" Police!
Also 6 speeding out of 45 offences shows how many offences are overlooked by speed cameras!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 19:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've never understood why some people don't wear seatbelts; modern inertia reels are really very unobtrusive, and the majority benefits far outweigh any anecdotal negatives. Personally I don't feel 'right' driving off without mine on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 20:16 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Well done, that is proper traffic policing - and no doubt will send a salutary message to the friends of all the 45 offenders as well :clap:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 16:32 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

so it took 3 weeks to catch 45 drivers, only six speeding Cumbrias random road watch must be working then

Quote:
Six people were caught speeding, eight drivers were spotted using mobile phones and 14 were not wearing seatbelts.

all could be processed by a mobile unit
i just hope none of the fined " young " drivers parents is a high ranking police officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 17:45 
Life Member
Life Member

RobinXe wrote:
I've never understood why some people don't wear seatbelts; modern inertia reels are really very unobtrusive, and the majority benefits far outweigh any anecdotal negatives. Personally I don't feel 'right' driving off without mine on.

I know what you nean, it's like not wearing a watch feels wrong.

I went through a bad patch when I worked airside at Heathrow of not belting up automatically on the road, as you don't have to airside.

But you do have to drive with dipped beam on, which I also developed a habit of doing...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 18:52 

I remember when the seat belt law came about in the early eighties or late 70s. Up til then I never wore one unless doing road rallies (there weren't many inertia ones then).I was a service engineer at the time, doing up to 20 stops/starts a day and I ALWAYS from that point in time, automatically put it on just as I start to move off, never when totally stationary for some reason. I also often find myself getting into someones pasenger seat and forgetting to wear one straight away. Weird how the brain (or mine at least) works.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 19:34 
User

This was not the whole of Cumbria - just Copeland - a bit of a wasteland in some peoples eyes - 45 in three weeks is too many!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 00:34 

camera operator wrote:
so it took 3 weeks to catch 45 drivers, only six speeding Cumbrias random road watch must be working then

No, only six CAUGHT speeding...

...which suggests completely the opposite, in my view!
camera operator wrote:
Quote:

all could be processed by a mobile unit
i just hope none of the fined " young " drivers parents is a high ranking police officer
[/quote]
When you say "processed", do you mean, "noted, left to get on with it, and then a fine sent to the "registered keeper" of the vehicle sometime in the following few weeks?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 20:36 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Mole wrote:
When you say "processed", do you mean, "noted, left to get on with it, and then a fine sent to the "registered keeper" of the vehicle sometime in the following few weeks?

actually within 2-3 days

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 23:06 

Oh, well that's OK then! I mean, if someone's driving "dangerously", I guess there's no harm in letting them get away with it as long as it's only for 2 or 3 days! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 23:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Mole wrote:
Oh, well that's OK then! I mean, if someone's driving "dangerously", I guess there's no harm in letting them get away with it as long as it's only for 2 or 3 days! :roll:

Oh ,and in that time they could set off a few more cameras . OK,YA ,if the RK is the owner etc, but what if the V5 has some fictitious data on it . The owner could be Mr Toad of Toad Hall , Frogspawn on the mould ,and DVLA would still send all things to that address .Recently DVLA have a problem ,whereby new owners are not being recognised on line . Try and tax /declare Sorn - they don't want to know .