Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Holiday ideas?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 18:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:? I'm going a lot OT here, but as a few of you are Cumbrians, I was wondering if you could suggest a nice, quietish spot, (town/village), where my wife and I could spend a week or so B&B next month? A bit of walking/sightseeing during the day and within walking distance of a pub :drink:

I'm retired, but my wife's not (yet). Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

(Paul, delete it if you think I'm o/o/o!)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 19:50 

How about County Durham?

Lots of good walking (and driving), no scams and just In Gear to watch out for. :wink:

Middleton-in-Teesdale is a nice little town and the run from there to Alston is a lovely drive.

Oops, just realised which forum this is in. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 19:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not much of a break from Cleveland :scratchchin:

Post subject: Re: Holiday ideas?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 23:10 
Site Admin

Oscar wrote:

No, it's fine. This sort of stuff helps to develop a sense of community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 23:41 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I know I might be howled down for this, but somehow the Lake District has never really hit the spot for me - it seems too full of improbably picturesque, chocolate-box views.

Personally I much prefer the Yorkshire Dales and the Peak District. Why not give the latter a try - lots of excellent scenery (if a bit bleaker than the Lakes), interesting places to visit, characterful little towns full of good pubs like Buxton and Bakewell, and some of the best driving roads in the UK such as the Cat & Fiddle and Long Hill? :)

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 23:55 
User

This is so awkward - if I recommended anywhere, I would be guilty of leaving somebody else out! :o

Quote:
...and within walking distance of a pub

Now that depends on how far you wanted to walk, and your definition of easy!!
I work in Staveley - it's on the southern outskirts of the National Park, just off the A591, has good pubs (and food!), and is within easy drive of the usual haunts within the National Park.

If you want somewhere more central, then Ambleside or Keswick would fit the bill, but of course would be dearer and busier!

If Staveley seems OK, then you can email me, and I'll look out the few guesthouses there, and send the details, in the meantime, you can preview the palces you might want to visit, at http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk which is updated DAILY with good quality still pictures - not a webcam!

You dont get this sort of service on the CSCP site, unless you want to go motorcycling!! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 00:33 

I suppose it depends what sort of walking you want to do.

If you want to climb the well known fells, then obviously you need to stay in the appropriate well-known places - Patterdale / Glenridding for the Helvellyn range, Coniston for the Coniston Fells, Keswick (or perhaps Threlkeld) for Blencathra / Skiddaw, Wasdale Head for Scafell and Scafell Pike.

If you want high level walks but without the crowds then stay somewhere round the edges of the National Park. Staveley would be a good bet actually, as it is handy for Kentmere, which has some wonderfully unspoilt high fells all round it, with spectacular views and no crowds.

If you want lower level easy walking then consider Coniston / Hawkshead for rambling in Grizedale Forest, Tarn Hows, Coppermines valley etc. Or Borrowdale / Newlands valley would be good, as there are lots of lovely low level trails, and all sorts of other diversions around the Keswick area. We live in Kendal, yet we regularly go for weekends camping in Keswick as it is just far enough away to make a bit of a break for the kids, and there is so much in the area to see and do.

Post again with some idea of what balance you want between unspoilt tranquility and "touristy things to do" and I'm sure us locals can elaborate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 01:15 
User

Errr, JT, do you think he might want to chase the Tizzy Whizzy? I'm told there have been sightings already this season!!

I can recommend the Homes of Football exhibition at Ambleside, whether you are interested in football or not. I think it is still free to get in.

Did you know they are building a distillery in Staveley JT ? We might even get our own Tizzy Whizzy once it opens! The water is coming out of the Kent, so just be careful what you do up Kentmere in the future!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 09:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:yawn: Just got up!

PeterE, done the Dales and the Peak district. I've been through the lakes hundreds of times in my truck, but only ever visited Keswick. We did 'mind' the Nag's Head in Kendal for a couple of weeks in the 80's, but never had time to sight-see! :lol:

Ernest, JT, I can't hill climb (heart attack victim), more gentle strolls :( . I can manage normal hills, but the steep stuff is out of bounds. I'll peruse Lakeland cam to get a better idea of the area. If 'er indoors likes the look of your area Ernest, I'll U2U later.

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. I've a better picture in my mind now :bow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:32 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Being a southerner I feel I'm trespassing on this topic. However, is the Drunken Duck at, I think, Ambleside, still thriving? It was a few years ago (ok - 20 years) June and I were up there, but we had a great time there - food, drink, more drink... and good walks.. and fantastic views.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:20 
User

The Drunken Duck is off the Ambleside to Hawkshead road - and is thriving. However, I was mindful of Oscar wanting peace and quiet!

Some friends have a very nice guesthouse in Windermere, but it's opposite the firestation, so CAN sometimes get busy!

I recommend a walk around Grasmere (the lake) - no great climb, but good views, then a drive over "Red Bank", into Langdale - great views from the top from your car, and a few stopping places where you can take pictures.
It features regularly on Lakelandcam, as does the Grasmere walk - although he tends to climb higher up onto Loughrigg!

My email is linked to my profile if you want detailed information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:42 
User

PeterE wrote:
I know I might be howled down for this, but somehow the Lake District has never really hit the spot for me - it seems too full of improbably picturesque, chocolate-box views.

Personally I much prefer the Yorkshire Dales and the Peak District. Why not give the latter a try - lots of excellent scenery (if a bit bleaker than the Lakes), interesting places to visit, characterful little towns full of good pubs like Buxton and Bakewell, and some of the best driving roads in the UK such as the Cat & Fiddle and Long Hill? :)

Find the Peaks too bleak - personally and just a little bit too busy for my personal taste - though have found a nice scenic walk taking in the Cresswell Caves around there.

As for Co Durham .... could I recommend Waskerley, Consett. Fairly challenging 9 mile walk :twisted: - but some spectacular views at Horeseleyhope.. It's challenging because the paths are little-walked and you have to pick your way in parts :twisted: - but the Moorcroft pub provides decent food and very decent line in :drink2: real ales but :shocked: no cream filled doughnuts.... :shock:

Less challenging - but highly recommended up around here ... Bowlees (highest waterfaill in the country - but you can only really see the lower falls at Bowlees Beck. Maps of the paths are available from the Visitors' Centre at the car park (in the hamlet of Bowlees, Middleton-in-Teesdale) on the B6277). Think the Raby estate is now open due the Ramblers Right of Way legislation - but check with the estate if you still need their permission to walk through it. This is the route to Gibsons Cave (behind the waterfall. Gibson was a criminal who hid theee whilst on the run in C16. :lol: Ideal place to hide from my speed guns.... :lol: The other walk from the car park takes you through meadows to a suspension bridge over the Tees and the Low Force waterfall. Some good picnic areas and rest places along the way...

Ah... but we are on about the Lake District.... :shock: You should come to us - at least we do not have speed cams - but one van and lots of police cars... :wink:

OK - so what's an easy walk over in Cumbria... an easy walk which I did with the Mad Cats and all the kids was at Muncaster...there is a short walk to the castle itself - and the Owl Centre is worth a visit (assuming it's still there...). and the 15 in gauge railway is a highly enjoyable experience - very scenic!

Up in the Eden Valley - there is a very easy two hour walk around Langwathby , Edenhall and the River Eden.

Also - we recently completed a family walk at Orrest Head - near Windermere. This was about 7 miles - but very easy and well sign-posted. Kids and our respective parents had no problems here! :wink: Walking maps can be obtained from the tourist office.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 22:01 

Well, I ought to speak up for the Western Lakes as I live here!

The walk round Buttermere is a very pretty low-level walk with no appreciable gradients on it. You could also walk along the logging road that goes along the Northern side of Ennerdale lake - again, pretty flat.

Slightly tougher is the clifftop walk around St. Bees Head. Don't know how steep you want but we did it last year with a 5 year old and had no problems. Very beautiful on a nice day. St. Bees is also a very pretty village if you can find somewhere to stay there.

As far as activities go, the Sellafield visitor centre is free and quite interesting (also has a nice canteen). Someone has already mentioned Muncaster castle, the Owl centre and the "Ratty" (what the locals call the Rabvenglass to Eskdale railway). Whitehaven is also very pretty now that they've done the harbour up - nice walk along the harbour wall. Also the "Rum Story" is very interesting. If you like mines, there's the Haig pit mining museum (free last time I went) and the Florence mine in Egremont which is Europe's last working deep-shaft iron ore mine (they do tours but the walk down the workings is a bit steep in places).

My favourite pub roud here is the Kirkstile Inn Between Loweswater and Crummock Water (http://www.kirkstile.com/index.html) but it can get busy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 16:32 
User

Agree wholeheartedly about the Sellafield Centre it's run by the Science Museum. People get the wrong idea about radiation - more people die each year from eating peanuts than have died from radiation, and the Visitor centre aims to inform and educate.
It's not true that catseyes on the road have been replaced with sheeps eyes, because you dont have to shine a light on them to make them glow in the dark, but it entertains the American visitors... mind you I once convinced one that a Fire Hose Reel was a work of modern art by a Spanish artist!

Muncaster has a Himalayan Garden walk - all the flora and fauna without the hills of Everest!
You might want to take a Mountain Goat tour from Windermere, and let somebody else do the driving! :idea:
Often missed is the Lake District Horticultural Society's garden at Holehird - 5 minutes from Windermere Station by car, and a GREAT view of the sunset over the mountains, if you leave it until late in the day.
Take in Kendal Museum (not the Abbott Hall museum, although that's OK too) opposite the station, it's well worth a visit. They might even have a working example of a public toilet by the time you get here :o (local joke, but NOT funny!).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 15:32 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Oscar wrote:
:? I'm going a lot OT here, but as a few of you are Cumbrians, I was wondering if you could suggest a nice, quietish spot, (town/village), where my wife and I could spend a week or so B&B next month? A bit of walking/sightseeing during the day and within walking distance of a pub :drink:

If you want to keep away from the tourists, try the eden valley its quiet but if you want to get into the lakes its easy access from Penrith.

JJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 22:33 
User

JJ wrote:
Oscar wrote:

If you want to keep away from the tourists, try the eden valley its quiet but if you want to get into the lakes its easy access from Penrith.

JJ

Quite likely to run into Kevin if he goes there.....:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 21:49 
User

Quote:
Quite likely to run into Kevin if he goes there..... :)

Surely not... unless he knows what he looks like! 8-)

I'm sure Oscar is too careful a driver to go running into pedestrians even if they are CSCP employees!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:roll:

Like the last one!

Anyway, my other half has suggested we start at Keswick and work our way down, playing it by ear, so we'll be over there on Monday!

:30: Honest, guv!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 13:48 
User

PeterE wrote:
Why not give the latter a try - lots of excellent scenery

Or the Northumberland coast, Berwick's nice :)

Must admit to a loverly pinic at the top of Honister Pass, by the waterfall.

We watched a cyclist pound his way up from Keswick, we gave him a round of applause, he didn't stop for a rest! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:09 
User

Oscar wrote:
:roll:

Like the last one!

Anyway, my other half has suggested we start at Keswick and work our way down, playing it by ear, so we'll be over there on Monday!

:30: Honest, guv!

Plenty of nice gentle walks along the lakeshores here - and there's the Stone Circle at Castlerigg.

If it's as cold as it is today - check out the car museum :lol:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.