Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Expected NIP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 19:03 

Snap, it's not just me having a bad week then.

I fell into the trap yesterday that only inexperienced drivers should find themselves in but I was having a bad day and it all went wrong.

Firstly i left home without cleaning my nearside mirror so it was half covered in moisture and difficult to see out of. I pulled into the right hand lane to go forward at traffic lights (both lanes are forward only). I notice the car on the left match my speed pulling away so decide to pull in behind him but because of unclear offside mirror I couldn't be aware that there wasn't another car immediately behind him and no gap.

The road is straight dual carriageway at 40MPH (previously NSL...where have we seen this before?)

I get to 40MPH and notice that this guy is insistant on staying alongside me so at 40MPh decide to slow down and let him carry on and so pull in behind him, I'm pretty sure the rest of the traffic in the left hand lane is a bit behind him now BUT what does he do? He starts to back off too and the dual is soon to become a single lane, so I either have to brake severely to pull in behind him or accelerate again, this Ido (second numpty mistake) and low and behold as I pull in front of him with plenty of clearance I see a cop car parked on the centre hatchings (it's agood wide road) my speed at the time is just over 50MPH but I start slowing as I approach jam sandwich.

I didn't get stopped at the time but I'm expecting NIP in post.....Idiot!!!

[Split thread to here. Admin]

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Lost Letter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 21:21 
Life Member
Life Member

graball wrote:
He starts to back off too...

I wonder if he had seen the police car and automatically slowed down without considering if that was the safest thing to do?

Do police just send you a nip if they catch you speeding with a speed gun, I thought the idea was that you got pulled by them or another unit up the road?

Post subject: Re: Lost Letter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 23:41 

Quote:
y Toltec on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:21 pm

graball wrote: He starts to back off too...

I wonder if he had seen the police car and automatically slowed down without considering if that was the safest thing to do?

Do police just send you a nip if they catch you speeding with a speed gun, I thought the idea was that you got pulled by them or another unit up the road?

I must admit, that if I hadn't been half watching my (almost useless) mirror, I would have seen him in plenty of time too, the road was straight and he was so obviously parked where you wouldn't expect to park a car, you couldn't miss him. I did wonder if they would pull me and didn't see a car further along the road, so assumed they were using some sort of recording device. Maybe I slowed enough to get "under the radar", I will have to wait and see.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Post subject: Re: Expected NIP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 02:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I know it's easier said than done, but I would try not to worry about it. Chances are a fortnight will come and go and you'll hear nothing but have gained a bit of experience from the whole thing.

As has been mentioned, I would be surprised if a police car was using speed recording equipment as sending out NIPs, why wouldn't they just pull you then and there, they have the authority to do so after all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:23 
User

RobinXe wrote:
As has been mentioned, I would be surprised if a police car was using speed recording equipment as sending out NIPs, why wouldn't they just pull you then and there, they have the authority to do so after all.

if it is cold, i think it is easier for them to fill out the ticket at the station

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 01:01 
Site Admin

If it is a cop car then they need to stop you there and then (as far as I know). If they were waiting inside the car operating any camera with CLOSED windows, then that is not allowed as the glass distorts the beam.

I think I might be considering a complaint - centre hatchings are there for use of traffic in case of need and to park there is hardly appropriate behaviour.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:21 

Good point ,Claire, they do tend to park on them quite a lot around Telford.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 00:55 
Site Admin

I wonder why they find that behaviour in any way appropriate ?