Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Redundancy Notices?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 19:58 
User

I see from the News and Star that 26 staff at CSCP have been issued with redundancy notices. No doubt this has been published in a last-ditch attempt to get a few small-minded folk to object so they can stay open but one would suspect this could be the beginning of the end for them.

They certainly wouldn't be missed from their usual vantage points above empty stretches of the M6 and on arrow-straight stretches of A-Road.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Redundancy Notices?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 20:18 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Thanks Sam.

Redundancy notices issued to Cumbria speed cameras unit staff

Exclusive by Matthew Legg

Last updated at 12:19, Monday, 10 January 2011

Twenty-six staff at the unit that runs Cumbria’s speed cameras have been handed redundancy notices, the News & Star has learned.

Nine people in the safety camera unit and 17 workers in the control ticket office in Penrith have been told their jobs are under threat.

That group includes Kevin Tea, manager of the Cumbria Safety Camera Partnership.

Mr Tea remains confident the unit will survive, though, and that the speed cameras in the county will remain at their present level.

Doubts first emerged over the future of the partnership last year when the Government cut the national road safety budget by £38m.

Cumbria lost £255,000, of which £213,000 was for speed cameras.

Talks are ongoing between Cumbria County Council and Cumbria Police to decide where funding for cameras will come from in the future.

Mr Tea said: “The redundancy process has been undertaken purely as a legal process while the council, police and other agencies decide who will pay for what.

“I am very confident the unit will continue though there may be some job losses in some way.

“I am confident the present level of speed cameras in Cumbria will be maintained when the process is complete.

“Since the Government came to power it has cut off funds for cameras.

“That has meant we have been forced to look for alternative ways of funding and negotiations are ongoing to see how that can be achieved.”

Cumbria has four mobile speed cameras, which can be deployed at 250 sites. There are six sets of static cameras: on the A595 at Howgate; the A69 at Low Row; the A685 at Kirkby Stephen; the A590 at Barrow and Witherslack; and the A591 at Ings.

Another pair at Corby Hill, between Carlisle and Brampton, will be in place by December.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 23:28 

Excellent news! I'm amused at the people who argue that if these machines were cash cows then why are they closing due to lack of funding? Welll, I'd have thought it was pretty simple really. They're closing due to lack of funding because speeding isn't the problem that the hysterical seem to think it is and there aren't enough convictions to keep CSCP staff in the manner to which they've become accustomed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 00:39 
User

Once netting off finished, the council will not have been so keen to subsidise the running of something which does not provide a return.

The use of speed awareness course fees will be the most likely source of income - it would be interesting to see if the number of offers for SAC is influenced by the numbers of drivers caught who are just passing through, and can't be bothered to come back to attend - £60 is a saving on attending from say... Kent! :juggle:

:lostatsea: :violin: :hehe: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 15:31 
Site Admin

Cumbria County Council as with all other Council's too, ought to be questioning if this is the right policy, turning to experts, engineers and science to understand and apply Proper and Intelligent Road Safety, appropriately.
'It should not be, 'now how can we fund this !' Does that not fly in the face of the Government directive to look for alternative solutions ?
Why are Councils being urged to pay for road safety info off people like RSS Ltd? At least many have not signed up yet from when I last looked at their online list. Research from the Government sources and paid for individuals ought to be ample. Why pay for what you can obtain for free?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 00:01 

I see our good friend Mr. C was on there leaping to their defence and trotting out all the usual propaganda! Must have been a nice little trip down memory lane for him! Good job he got out when he did - credit where it's due and all that!

(I was going to say something about rodents and sinkig ships, but I suppose I'd best not! :sublurking: )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 01:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Don't like throwing water on a smouldering heap ,but there's more than 20 employees (can't really say workers :roll: )involved.Think that in this case some form of advance warning has to be given(for 90 days consultation ,I think) ,otherwise the employer has to pay out .Could this be reason ,not to say that they WILL be made redundancy ,but giving notice of may.Of course ,financial failure of the SCP gravy train might refocus those in power toward the elements of real road safety ,by results,not stats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 06:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Please be careful when reading into that article. From what I've read there have been many more redundancies in other professions around the country. Made redundant means surplus to requirements so think twice. Probably Cameras have now done what they where intended to do at the time but, they now have other technologies much better at detecting people, I doubt it even enters there heads about cars, it's the people and their money they are after.

Just my two pennies worth. :)