Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

What should be done about the UK drink-driving limit?
Poll ended at Fri Oct 01, 2010 01:08
Scrap it entirely, and use field impairment tests 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Scrap it entirely, and use field impairment tests 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Increase it to 100mg 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Increase it to 100mg 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Keep it at 80mg 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
Keep it at 80mg 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
Reduce it to 50mg, with points only for 50-80 offences 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Reduce it to 50mg, with points only for 50-80 offences 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Reduce it to 50mg, with a mandatory ban at 50mg 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Reduce it to 50mg, with a mandatory ban at 50mg 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Reduce it to 20mg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Reduce it to 20mg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 36
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 01:08 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

This has been thoroughly discussed in this thread:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22576

But what is your view?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 23:57 
Police Officer
Police Officer

35ugs for Breath 80ugs for Blood and 107 for urine what does yours refer to

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 00:03 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Stephen wrote:
35ugs for Breath 80ugs for Blood and 107 for urine what does yours refer to

Blood alcohol, which is the widely-understood measure.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 18:12 
User

Going out p***sed is the worst thing anyone can do on the roads - people die because of drunks and more often than not, not the drunks themselves!

If I'd been asked this ten or 15 years ago I'd have wholeheartedly agreed; namely with the reduction in the amount of blood alcohol one is allowed to have - but not now.

I think that speed cameras have been so badly abused for cash, unfortunately, I can't support ANY so called safety measure the State is considering, because let's face it - it all revolves around money.

I don't condone drinking and driving - but if we allow them to bring this in, people who had a REASONABLE amount to drink the night before who are perfectly capable of operating a motor car properly, whoe are NOT dangerously impaired will end up getting nicked..... And just who then is the real criminal?????

Sorry but no. I don't trust them anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 18:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

PaulF wrote:
Going out p***sed is the worst thing anyone can do on the roads - people die because of drunks and more often than not, not the drunks themselves!

Absolutely - but that is already thoroughly illegal and subject to severe penalties. Cutting the current limit, though, would be the equivalent of cutting a speed limit from 40 to 30 because boy racers are in the habit of driving through at 80.

Anyway, fortunately it seems as though the government are going to reject the idea, see here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 17:05 
Supporter
Supporter

PaulF wrote:
Going out p***sed is the worst thing anyone can do on the roads

Worse than going out in a car with defective brakes and steering and four bald tires after three nights without sleep?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:35 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I just thought I would add my two pennies worth, for what it's worth that is. And I have to agree with Whaley on this one, even though he does seem to be a Jekyll and Hyde.

I'd like to put it this way. As an Electrician I use copper quite a bit so I do know how bendable it is just like our Police but I don't like use that word I'd rather call them Coppers because they are easily bendable. I don't mind a fair cop but when they have to bend there system to prosecute innocent drivers well, the system stinks and then they wonder why people commit crimes.

When I was young I was apprehended by a Copper when I was standing outside a Fish and Chip shop minding my own business with a couple of friends. The Copper said he would have to search me as he thought I was carrying a knife, he didn't do it there and then like you would expect he took me behind some garages and made me drop my trousers and fondled me. (bent Copper)

At the time being young I was to afraid to tell my parents because I didn't know what they would do. If the Copper is still alive (which I would expect he might be) then XX Street in XX might ring a bell. When I was young I was offered to follow cop cars after drinking with the actual Coppers who had drank well over the limit themselves.

I'll let you read my letter to a Superintendent I wrote to regarding the way our country is run by the police.

Quote:
For the attention of Superintendent Hindle
Divisional Commander
Chester Police Station
Nuns Road
Chester
CH1 2PP

XXXX

Re: Incident Nº CRXXX

Dear Mr Hindle

A couple of years ago I was banned from driving, and I could not drive on the public roads. I would occasionally push my car onto the road to work on another car that I am restoring. One day a police officer turned up outside my house (which is in a cul-de-sac and in a residential area) and I was reported for having no tax on my vehicle. I explained I could not tax the vehicle because I was banned and had no insurance, yet he insisted that I would be reported. This was petty, I was fined and it cost me allot of money in back duties. In my opinion this was a means of collecting police or government funds.

While travelling home on the XX December XX from Birmingham I was stopped by one of the police campaigns, the amount of police that where used to organise this campaign must have been in the region of 15 – 20 officers plus support vehicles. I would imagine that this involves quite a substantial amount of the British taxpayers money (to which I also contribute), and not to mention the resources used.

I attended my local police station where I am afraid I upset the lady who was attending the desk (to whom I apologised) because I was very annoyed with the police (and still am). The Sergeant at the station (3050 Mr Andrew Fletcher) who was concerned, and who wanted to know why I had upset the lady, interviewed me. Mr Fletcher took me back because he took some considerable time to explain several things to me and also listen to my anguish, especially when he himself was under strain through lack of resources. This is the first time I have ever been offered this opportunity by the police.

In October this year I was burgled and my garage was broken into. My motorcycle, which was in the garage, was stolen and there was damage to the doors and windows of the garage. This motorcycle cost me the sum of £8250.00 and was not even 6 months old; I had only clocked up 2000 miles. It took me a long time and allot of hard work to save for this machine.

When I rang the police, the first thing I was asked was am I insured. I was given an incident number and was told that somebody would come and see me. I waited for somebody to attend my property but nobody turned up. When I rang the police back again I was informed that it could take several days before somebody would come to see me. As I was working away from home, I told the police that I would have to repair the damage done by the thief in order to make the house safe again, I was told to go ahead with this. As of today nobody from the police as ever attended my address.

My point is that I am being told that there is lack of resources; it now appears that there are enough resources to carry home visits for road offences, and also carry out countrywide campaigns, yet the police do not have the resources or the decency to attend my property to investigate a robbery.

I have lived in XX all my life, I look at the police station and how it has become run down and under manned. I don’t know how any people who work there can be proud of the place because I am certainly not. Where does all the money go to that we pay in council tax towards the funding of the police (may be speed cameras)?

I have had just about enough of this country especially where the police (Mr Fletcher aside) and the governments are concerned. As I said to Mr Fletcher, Britain in my opinion HAS HAD IT, and is DOOMED.

With reference to Mr Fletcher, and from my first meeting with him he will make a good Sergeant. It is a pity that there are not more of his kinds within the police force.

Yours faithfully

David ***

Cc Mr A Fletcher (Sergeant Ellesmere Port Police Station).
Mr Andrew Miller (MP for Ellesmere Port & Neston).

I haven't edited it because quite frankly I couldn't give a shit any more. When our corrupt Government and it's cronies get their house in order then, maybe the rest of the "PEOPLE" will show them some respect.

Different people react different ways to alcohol some can take more than others. It's the same with driving, and I've said this to Paul, you either have or you don't, but do you take away a persons lively hood by stopping them doing things they are not good at? It's no good blaming other people if those people where in the wrong themselves. That's the trouble these days it's all about blame and scamming.

All I can say to those do gooders is, look at yourselves before you crucify other people.

End of Story!

Edited by Claire for privacy only.

If anyone wants to edit my post please feel free to do so.

Last edited by Dixie on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:01, edited 3 times in total.