Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 18:53 
New User
New User

I am currently designing a road safety product for my engineering degree. The device is called a G-FAUSS (G-Force Automated SOS System). It is positioned inside a car and in the event of a crash, the amount of gs are measured and if the crash is severe enough it will activate the built-in GPS and automatically send an SMS to the emergency services stating that there has been an accident and also the devices whereabouts. I am open to any views you may have on the subject and I would also very much appreciate if anyone could complete the following questionnaire:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewfor ... E6MQ#gid=0

Thank you.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 20:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:welcome: JLMauricette

May I ask if your agenda is your degree in engineering, your concern for lives, a potential lucrative future - or all? :wink:

That aside, and as I'm sure you know, an SMS isn't exactly always the swiftest means of communication or reliable means of SOS - and GPS can take a while too. Wot no signal! :roll:

Maybe it’s just as a back-up to calling a real person where you know someone has heard you and is 'on the case'?

Ideally, the gold trophy for what you are suggesting would go to a system like Tunstall which does not suffer from the same hiccups of reception from RF on good or bad days etc. and you get some feedback that your SOS has been 'heard' from a human being and if you don't reply you know help is on its way. :)

Not saying you are not onto something, but feedback and reassurance that you have actually made contact means everything when you are in dire need of assistance! (I know these things :( ).

I like your bones, but I need more meat. ;)

To put it another way, and with respect, it doesn’t sound too far from a flare which goes off on impact. Will anyone see it or not?

I have no idea; I just know I’m bleeding to death at the side of a road where reception is crap and who’s to say which would work better... ;)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 23:13 

It's already been done and is on sale:

http://www.peugeot.com/en/innovation/sa ... t-sos.aspx

It works pretty much as the OP describes - when the deceleration is high enough to trigger an airbag.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 07:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes, I have this already on my X5. You can also push a button to call assistance manually and talk to the operator via the GSM phone built in to the system.