Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 13:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 17:36 

It does seem like the dynamic duo have run out of answers. However a farmer friend of mine, has told me of an impending order for the biggest load of Bu@@@@@t that he's ever been asked for....watch this space ....;_)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 18:55 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

graball wrote:
mmmmm, I do wonder at the intelligence of camera partnership members (or ex ones) when you consider GS's Maths (In)ability and Cam Ops lack of joined up thinking.

Perhaps he can enlighten us, as to what he might consider a suitable target for alignment, that he might use? I know what I would use but won't give him any clues yet cos he's supposed to be the "professional" here.

sorry i thought you was asking your professional to explain,

now what would i have used for alignment, BTW which alignment are you talking about red dot to laser, or cross hairs to red dot :scratchchin:

Syndey opera house gives a good reading, but then so does Blackpool tower and the O2 arena, Edinburgh castle is a big no no

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 18:58 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

graball wrote:
It does seem like the dynamic duo have run out of answers. However a farmer friend of mine, has told me of an impending order for the biggest load of Bu@@@@@t that he's ever been asked for....watch this space ....;_)

sorry i dont really have the time to post everyday,
Steve wrote:
Steve wrote:
However, I’m still so very interested in the answer that greenshed gives. I think he also knows the answer but will be loathed to give it , especially for the UK models.

What say you greenshed?

'Where are the speed camera men and their friendly responses?' :D

what question is that

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 19:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

camera operator wrote:
Steve wrote:
Steve wrote:
However, I’m still so very interested in the answer that greenshed gives. I think he also knows the answer but will be loathed to give it , especially for the UK models.

What say you greenshed?

what question is that

This one.

Do you know the answer, CO?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 22:28 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've got a couple you've dodged as well! <-- FOMO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 23:37 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Steve wrote:
camera operator wrote:
Steve wrote:
Steve wrote:

What say you greenshed?

what question is that

This one.

with the TSM as an operator (EX for a few years now) E03 would be established very quickly, .33 second i recall possible 10 reading or trigger release, cycle starts again

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 23:53 

Quote:
To check the alignment the operator must select a suitable target.

This target should have a straight vertical and horizontal edge, with nothing in the immediate background, preferably just sky.

The operator, after selecting the tt mode, moves the LTI slowly from off the left or right side of the vertical edge of the target, noting when the tone starts to increase in both pitch and level.

Then he notes when the peak audio, in both pitch and level, occurs. This should be when the red dot is on the very edge of the selected target.

He then checks that the opposite occurs as the LTI is moved off the other side of the target.

He then repeats the same for the horizontal edge of the target, remembering that in this case the red dot is 5cms above the centre of the laser.

If the device passes this check then he can safely say the red dot and laser are correctly aligned.

However this check must be carried out slowly and with great care and precision.

It cannot be carried out a speed, no matter how experienced the operator is.

I think we were queerying this alignment check if you recall and I wondered what YOU might consider a "suitable " target....remember?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 00:01 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

camera operator wrote:
Steve wrote:
This one.

with the TSM as an operator (EX for a few years now) E03 would be established very quickly,

Good innit! :D

Kudos to you for correctly answering something that greenshed evaded!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 00:49 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

graball wrote:
Quote:
To check the alignment the operator must select a suitable target.

This target should have a straight vertical and horizontal edge, with nothing in the immediate background, preferably just sky.

The operator, after selecting the tt mode, moves the LTI slowly from off the left or right side of the vertical edge of the target, noting when the tone starts to increase in both pitch and level.

Then he notes when the peak audio, in both pitch and level, occurs. This should be when the red dot is on the very edge of the selected target.

He then checks that the opposite occurs as the LTI is moved off the other side of the target.

He then repeats the same for the horizontal edge of the target, remembering that in this case the red dot is 5cms above the centre of the laser.

If the device passes this check then he can safely say the red dot and laser are correctly aligned.

However this check must be carried out slowly and with great care and precision.

It cannot be carried out a speed, no matter how experienced the operator is.

I think we were queerying this alignment check if you recall and I wondered what YOU might consider a "suitable " target....remember?

again is that red dot to laser or cross hair to red dot two seperate procedures a lot of assumption there, what manual is that out of,

no talk of focal length or depth of field,

graball can you expand on your knowledge or can i class you as a re invention to the defence team, they come and go

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 13:04 

Ok, I'll make it easier for you, instead of using the more lengthy procedure that Tim supply, we will use the simplified instructions that you gave and from that I refer to.....

"3. at base station again at a predetermined point pt the device into TTmode, pan the red dot vertical and horizontal, the audible tone advices when the laser hits the target"

So again, what would you class a suitable "target"? Not a difficult question surelY????

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 15:42 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

graball wrote:
Ok, I'll make it easier for you, instead of using the more lengthy procedure that Tim supply, we will use the simplified instructions that you gave and from that I refer to.....

"3. at base station again at a predetermined point pt the device into TTmode, pan the red dot vertical and horizontal, the audible tone advices when the laser hits the target"

So again, what would you class a suitable "target"? Not a difficult question surelY????

well when you clarify what the question is then no it is not difficult, at base station we had a nice big square :30: sign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 16:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

camera operator wrote:
graball wrote:

well when you clarify what the question is then no it is not difficult, at base station we had a nice big square :30: sign

At base station were you a similar distance from said sign as you were the vehicles against which you later enforced?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 18:06 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

camera operator wrote:

Isn't an alignment done on site? :scratchchin:

To cut to the chase: have the targets chosen for alignment, at enforcement sites, always been suitable?

:angel:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 18:09 

And in the field how many speed signs are actually square? This is taken from a point where our most prominant local, mobile speed van parks, I would be interested to see what you would describe as a suitable "target" to use in this situation?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=priorsl ... 2,,0,-0.63

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 19:25 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

RobinXe wrote:
At base station were you a similar distance from said sign as you were the vehicles against which you later enforced?

not always no,

Steve wrote:
camera operator wrote:

To cut to the chase: have the targets chosen for alignment, at enforcement sites, always been suitable?

again confusing red dot to laser TT check, which is entirely different from the crosshair to red dot check

graball wrote:
And in the field how many speed signs are actually square? This is taken from a point where our most prominant local, mobile speed van parks, I would be interested to see what you would describe as a suitable "target" to use in this situation?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=priorsl ... 2,,0,-0.63

i was going to suggest someone pick a site, assuming from the close tra island the van parks and aims back towards the M54 i would personaly use the :40::camera: ffic or the directional keep left arrow http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=priorslee&hl=en&ll=52.690301,-2.416263&spn=0.012304,0.027595&sll=53.852527,-4.042969&sspn=14.310144,39.506836&layer=c&cbll=52.690374,-2.416481&panoid=ThaGik0pQ6MUcBpWSq27nA&cbp=12,77.12,,0,-0.63&z=15 to align the cross hairs to the red dot, assuming the is a clear line of sight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 19:41 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

camera operator wrote:
Steve wrote:

again confusing red dot to laser TT check, which is entirely different from the crosshair to red dot check

Cam Op, I think you didn't understand my very simple question.

I am not talking about techniques of alignment, nor am I talking about that part of the setup is aligned with what.

I am asking about the suitability of the target used for alignment - in the field; indeed a few of us have been. Please re-read the question and try again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 20:05 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Steve wrote:

I am asking about the suitability of the target used for alignment - in the field; indeed a few of us have been. Please re-read the question and try again.

just to confirmthe crosshairs to red dot alignment and not TT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 20:14 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

camera operator wrote:
Steve wrote:

Forget it Cam Op.
This subject is obviously too complicated for a camera operator to understand.

Would it be the first time? :angel:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 20:33 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Steve wrote:
camera operator wrote:
Steve wrote:

Forget it Cam Op.
This subject is obviously too complicated for a camera operator to understand.

Would it be the first time? :angel:

nothing to complicated steve,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 07:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Except perhaps the difference between 'to' and 'too'! :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next