Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 07:49 

Quote:
i was going to suggest someone pick a site, assuming from the close tra island the van parks and aims back towards the M54 i would personaly use the :40::camera: ffic or the directional keep left arrow http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=priorsl ... -0.63&z=15 to align the cross hairs to the red dot, assuming the is a clear line of sight

But again you are twisting the question and assuming the van is pointing in the opposite direction to the link that I supplied which is the direction the van aims his camera, i.e. in the direction of the junction where the not unnoticeable artic is pulling out...can you see it?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 20:04 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

graball wrote:
But again you are twisting the question and assuming the van is pointing in the opposite direction to the link that I supplied which is the direction the van aims his camera, i.e. in the direction of the junction where the not unnoticeable artic is pulling out...can you see it?

not twisting anything but i have several posters asking different questions on different procedures, when you posted the link i traced the route via google and noticed that the parking plate was more or less parrallel to the traffic island, for a van to park and aim back to the A5, the operator would IMO have to travese the traffic island on the wrong side in order to park up or pass the traffic island and reverse onto the parking plate, something i would not have done. so for the record assuming the traffic island is not there i would have aligned the crosshairs to the red dot again on the keep left directional arrow http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=priorslee&hl=en&ll=52.690873,-2.418194&spn=0.012434,0.027595&sll=53.852527,-4.042969&sspn=14.310144,39.506836&layer=c&cbll=52.690934,-2.418349&panoid=7ai2hqKPJSaPxYEqqGFkpg&cbp=12,315.61,,0,0&z=15, which IMO is a suitable target

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:49 

This is the actual parking plate that they use with the van's front(nose/bonnet) pointing towards the M54. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=priorsl ... ,,0,0&z=15

So just to clear things in my mind at least, are you saying that the alignment procedure where the audio tone is used, when the red dot is scanned along and off the edges of, a square object, (numbered 3 in the procedure that you gave) is not used/ necessary in the field?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 20:13 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

graball wrote:
This is the actual parking plate that they use with the van's front(nose/bonnet) pointing towards the M54. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=priorsl ... ,,0,0&z=15

my apologys i missed that area :headbash: ,

Quote:
So just to clear things in my mind at least, are you saying that the alignment procedure where the audio tone is used, when the red dot is scanned along and off the edges of, a square object, (numbered 3 in the procedure that you gave) is not used/ necessary in the field?

hmmm, the manufactures handbook states it should be done at the beginning end of each shift, but i would say it would be good policy to also carry out a test in the field, if practable but this is not a legal requirement

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 08:39 

Quote:

hmmm, the manufactures handbook states it should be done at the beginning end of each shift, but i would say it would be good policy to also carry out a test in the field, if practable but this is not a legal requirement

I find it a little suprising that such equipment (which I would assume is quite delicate and subject to misalignment if knocked too hard) should be calibrated at the end and start of a shift, X miles away from it's actual use but not at the point of use, this I feel could lead to misalignment and faulty readings on site.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 14:11 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Steve wrote:
camera operator wrote:
Steve wrote:
This one.

Do you know the answer, CO?

with the TSM as an operator (EX for a few years now) E03 would be established very quickly,

Good innit! :D

Kudos to you for correctly answering something that greenshed evaded!

Tested!
Confirmed!
Quantitive results withheld :D

My thoughts confidential :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 04:22 
Site Admin

There are a lot of retro-reflective items all around that whole area - how could anyone be absolutely sure that you are hitting the little arrow roundel ?