Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 13:23 
User

DoktorMandrake wrote:
"Donations at a funeral
Some people bereaved by road crashes have generously fundraised for Brake by asking for donations instead of flowers at a funeral or memorial service.

I wonder if they inform tax paying funeral goers they have already made a donation via UK tax without the formality of being asked if they wish to, and may well have contributed more if they deal with any of BRAKE's "corporate partners" :scratchchin:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 13:28 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Quote:
Parents are apparently in favour of tough rules for their children during the first year behind the wheel after passing their driving test.

I guessed this article was from brake after reading only that first sentence.
Man are they predicatable!

Keep watch for the creep: "if it's good enough for your kids, then it's good enough for you"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 15:01 
User

Steve wrote:
I guessed this article was from brake after reading only that first sentence.
Man are they predicatable!

Quote:
Research among the 1,000 parents polled
Ummmm ..... who were those parent polled ..... employees and members of BRAKE perchance :scratchchin: Perhaps not of course, it plain doesn't say or point to any documents containing any information about the research and methodologies used. So easy to do these days too, just upload the docs that you surely have written already to any old web server and stick in a hyperlink .... Oopps ... that would mean folks might read them and make comments .... nah bad idea!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:47 
User

It's an old advertising trick. Poll several groups of people, usually not more than a few hundred and then release the results of the group who most favoured your product. Of course, it is pseudo-science. And as such there are other ways of ensuring '97% of people love our Piles-eze haemorrhoid cream' etc. Yet it is presented as a bona fide, authentic study. I imagine Brake would use selective polling. I cannot see them being impartial or independently regulated in any way and as such why is this poll reported on a national news site?

The other thing is how the questions were asked. You can influence someone through wording. Of course parents are supposed to be responsible and look out for their children's welfare so if you word the question negatively to suggest that not being in total favour of Brake's proposals somehow makes you a worse parent than Joseph Fritzel or Fred West then you can semi-subtly manipulate the outcome. I don't suppose Brake are subject to the freedom of information act? I would be interested to know who they polled and what questions were asked. How would we obtain this info?

What galls me is that is not 'news'. Why would Sky report it as gospel? I know it's Sky, but c'mon. Just lazily repeating this kind of unscientific agenda-advancing nonsense makes you no more than a mouthpiece for propaganda. Can we do a Safe Speed poll and see if Sky will print that on their site? ?If Brake cannot be held accountable, can we have a word with Sky? See if they were satisfied by the poll's autheticity and the validity of the results? Or did they merely just lazily re-print exactly what Brake wanted? That is not journalism.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 07:59 

Our local paper is reporting that thousands of elderly people are going to die again from the cold/hypothermia this year, far more than the deaths we see on the roads.
Why don't the Brake campaigners put down their knitting and do something useful and productive, like trying to lower this astounding figure. Surely it is easier for them to do something that they might have at least a little knowledge about and which would have a higher succes rate, than trying to do the impossible, in achieving zero road deaths and dabbling in a subject they obviously don't have a clue about.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:12 
User

graball wrote:
Our local paper is reporting that thousands of elderly people are going to die again from the cold/hypothermia this year, far more than the deaths we see on the roads.
Why don't the Brake campaigners put down their knitting and do something useful and productive, like trying to lower this astounding figure. Surely it is easier for them to do something that they might have at least a little knowledge about and which would have a higher succes rate, than trying to do the impossible, in achieving zero road deaths and dabbling in a subject they obviously don't have a clue about.

Could be precisely because it is probably impossible to achieve!

Success would mean end of funding, end of funding means end of job, end of job means end of nice lil earner, end of nice lil earner means dying of hypothermia in old age, and nobody seems to care much about that!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 19:53 

Of course not, with hypothermia you can't say things like...."But just think about the children"....;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 00:52 
User

You can if you stick them in a freezer. Which if it proved beneficial to their cause I wouldn't put it past Brake not to do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 16:49 
Life Member
Life Member

DoktorMandrake wrote:
The original Brake links do not work - I wonder why? Does anyone have a list of their corporate sponsors? Think Johnnytheboy had a good idea with his letter. I would be horrified if companies I use supported Brake and would look for alternatives.

http://www.brake.org.uk/about-us/corpor ... gether.htm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 00:59 
User

Thanks, Johnny!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 01:01 
User

That is disgusting! Each of those companies have given 5k each or more to Brake per year??? What do they get out of it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 04:40 
User

'You know something? I'm getting quite fed up of these "mind the Kiddywinkles" types who run their kids to school in their 4x4, people carriers, park on private land, pavements, bends, within 15mtrs of road junctions forcing us ordinary motorists to tiptoe carefully around right hand bends on the wrong side of the road etc.........Then they try to lecture us!..
I regularly pass a school near a dangerous junction at the best of times at which every road safety law in the book is being broken every morning and every afternoon by inconsiderate parents of these little darlings! It's seems that "in their book" it's alright to kill Joe Bloggs and his wife (well it was their fault anyway wasn't it?) because they didn't have kids in the car, and oh well, they were probably speeding anyway! every law that I mentioned above is being broken there.

And the Police........DO NOTHING!

I really should get some photo's next time I pass by, and post them for your abilities to spot transgressions of the law. Believe me, it's not difficult.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 16:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Pete317 wrote:
It's hardly surprising to see Network Rail in there.

Before I retired ,I held the following qualifications on courses from NR
COSS( person in charge of site safety) -allowing me to take a party out onto live tracks ,anywhere in the country .(Practical limit was up to 125 MPH).Tested after a year , constantly assessed by supervisor ,and full re cert after two .

The number of times I ,and others in the group holding the same tickets have watched NR staff disregard every safety regulation whilst on track .

IF/WHEN HSS2 comes along , there will be a very real skills shortage on the rail network .Why -NR decided approx two years ago that the contracting firms were charging too much ,so they stopped awarding contracts .(Next bit is my own opinion) -when the tme came to award work ,firms could engage staff at lower pay -so contract cost to NR was less .
Perhaps a newspaper headline of some years ago when a major electrification project was undertaken without the correct staff -"NOWORK RAIL"-it shut the West Coast Main line down for an extra four days .

Now on a personal note -some years ago the firm I worked for was going through a rough patch and we were asked to perform security ( NR pays firm -our jobs are safe till next contract -makes sense ) .
One day ,I was sat in security hut ,when NR safety guys arrive .Being inside and only sticking my head outside ,my risk assessment was that this was OK.Not so -I needed steel toe caps /hard hat & Hi viz .
Got them on as boss arrived to calm things down .
Walked out to find pair of NR Safety guys in the middle of road , between the two massive steel gates which were wedged open, and wind was at least 30mph. They were too engrossed in conversation to see gates had lost wedges and had started to move --nice red faces when I bawled them out .My boss had some choice words for them too

Then perhaps the truth about NR - THE SENIOUR posts are contracted by some American organisation .(in the case mentioned above re NOWORK RAIL -the seniour consultant lost his job-he was American)