It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 07:01 
Site Admin

BBC News here
BBC News wrote:
Motorcyclist caught doing 116mph near York banned
1 December 2011 Last updated at 14:33

Biker doing 116mph near York. Picture: North Yorkshire Police Police said Greenwood had shown a complete disregard for other road users
A motorcyclist who was caught doing 116mph (187km/h) in York has been banned for three months.
Matthew Michael Greenwood, 34, was riding his bike on the A1237 at Huntington in York at 09:15 GMT on 31 October when his speed was recorded.
North Yorkshire Police said it was the highest speed recorded by the force's mobile safety camera to date.
Greenwood, from York, pleaded guilty to speeding at Selby Magistrates' Court and was also fined £395.
The usual speed limit on the A1237 is 60mph and police said the road had been wet with a significant amount of traffic.

Insp Dave Brown, head of strategic roads policing at North Yorkshire Police, said: "This is one of the worst cases of inappropriate and excessive speed I have seen in 30 years of policing.
"Greenwood rode his bike at almost double the legal speed limit in heavy, rush-hour traffic and showed complete disregard for the safety of other road users."
North Yorks Police link : http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/ind ... cleid=7873
This video link : http://youtu.be/DH0y6mS_oo (off the Police website)
claims that it contains a malformed video !
Ahha, found it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH0y6m-S_oo
So he just carried on and they did nothing but send a NIP in the post.

There is an awful lot of traffic in that video....

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 13:58 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I can see the usual comments building: “It doesn’t look like he is going that fast, etc.”
My objective experience with these videos shows that the apparent speed of vehicles can be very deceptive, particularly when viewed through a long focal length lens and the direction of travel of the vehicle is very close to the axis of view (of the camera). I hope a few people on Pistonheads can now appreciate that!

A quick glance suggests the vehicle in front of the bike is a considerable distance away, so the biker could easily stop in time if the vehicle in front decided to brake hard; even though the road is wet, hence I am not concerned about this. Also, the bend of the road is obviously very weak.

However, I am concerned about drivers in the opposite carriageway who could be thinking about overtaking. That large gap in front of the bike may lead the drivers in the other carriageway to believe their overtake is safe, more than it actually is due to the extremely unusually high closing speed of the biker.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 21:35 
User

I would like to see more of this video, before being convinced of the speed of 116mph

From the disclosed recording the following can be calculated assuming the device used was an Ultralyte 1000

1. The operator pressed the trigger at a time on 09.13.04.58 secs and a range of 145.8mtrs

2. The first sight, on the recording, of the bike is at 09.13.03.52secs, This is a range of 90.8mtrs and the bike appears from the right of the frame

3. The recording starts at 09.13.03.16secs and this would have been at a range of 72.1mtrs

4 The bike would have been level with the van at 09.13.01.76secs

5 In the 1.4secs between 3 and 4 the following must have happened A The bike passed throught the field of view of the camera B the operator had to see the bike and form a prior opinion the bike was exceeding the speed limit and start to move the device.

The few second before this recording starts would be interesting to see

This would answer the following questions

1. Was the bike speeding Answer probably yes
2. Was the bike doing 116mph Answer don't know yet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 03:07 
Site Admin

Steve wrote:
I can see the usual comments building: “It doesn’t look like he is going that fast, etc.”
My objective experience with these videos shows that the apparent speed of vehicles can be very deceptive, particularly when viewed through a long focal length lens and the direction of travel of the vehicle is very close to the axis of view (of the camera). ...
I too figured that the foreshortening is extreme and that he is a far old distance away. This will seem, as you say, like he cannot possibly be going that fast, within the perceived distance and gaps except withit being so far the gaps are much larger and potentially possible.
Steve wrote:
A quick glance suggests the vehicle in front of the bike is a considerable distance away, so the biker could easily stop in time if the vehicle in front decided to brake hard; even though the road is wet, hence I am not concerned about this. Also, the bend of the road is obviously very weak.
I estimate a 6sec gap from when the last car, ahead of the bike, passes the tree/post on the left, and when the biker gets there. I assume that the Camop heard him and then tried to find him, hence the camera wobble and the difficulty that he had in trying to land on him.
Steve wrote:
However, I am concerned about drivers in the opposite carriageway who could be thinking about overtaking. That large gap in front of the bike may lead the drivers in the other carriageway to believe their overtake is safe, more than it actually is due to the extremely unusually high closing speed of the biker.
An interesting point. With the oncoming stream of traffic, it is a rare overtaker in such circumstance and with it being a right hand bend (for them) the view is better to their oncoming traffic and the head light of the bike is likely to be more visible. His white helmet will stand out against the car (less so), and the blue van behind him, and I really cannot see anyone attempting it, but I take your point. The road is wide enough for 3 vehicles if required.
Certainly those who travel more quickly ought to have enough alertness and awareness (etc) and ready to react immediately at the very first sign that others may easily misinterpret/misread their actions & speed.
To travel this fast within this much traffic is dangerous. I wonder for just how long it actually lasted for? Is it a quick bike that might have only been reaching this 'top speed' for 1 sec or less and within some feet be back doing 60mph ? He is sitting up a lot more, after only what looks like a very brief 'low sitting position'?