Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 22:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Policewitness.com
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 18:25 
User

I have never understood the prodigal son parable either. That said, my pops treats us equally. My brother is a nice, sensible lad so has been afforded certain privileges that I never will, one being using the car. I don't mind, of course. It is his car.

Moley - I would suggest buying them a crap car to begin with and seeing they move up gradually. Maybe a torque limited would be useful in mummy and daddy's BMW, but if you just buy them a Mini (original ones, not the German impostor) or a Micra, then problem solved. It is quite hard, I'd say, to boot it or lose traction in either.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 20:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
DoktorMandrake wrote:

Moley - I would suggest buying them a crap car to begin with and seeing they move up gradually. Maybe a torque limited would be useful in mummy and daddy's BMW, but if you just buy them a Mini (original ones, not the German impostor) or a Micra, then problem solved. It is quite hard, I'd say, to boot it or lose traction in either.

I'd swap a ROVER 100 for the Micra .It's limited by design .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 23:07 
User

Limited indeed. Know a few people who've 'enjoyed' those, over the years

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 15:29 
Site Admin

DoktorMandrake wrote:
Traffic islands, no right turn, parking (some parts of London are a nigtmare - you can't even pull up without a ticket being issued and on it's way to you - and no, I do not mean red route)
Well a yellow line can give you a few minutes so a pick up / drop off is legally possible. Are you seriously stating that this is no longer the case ? Or is this on double yellows ?
It is obviously getting far, far too much and is seriously taking the mick !
Perhaps a Gov petition ? A well worded loaded paragraph should help and then if possible a viral vid to get support ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 18:32 
User

As my post in another thread states, it has got that bad. I worked in West London over the summer and there was a single line outside my work. It was a busy street, but not red route - parking restrictions only applied during rush hour. Fair enough. Except the sign stating this was the size of a fag packet and in order to read it, you had to first pull up and, usually, unless you have bionic eyes, leave your car and walk to the pole to which the sign was attached. If you happened to do this before 9.30am or after 4pm, then you would get a ticket. If you happend to miss the sign entirely and believe that you were ok to park, you got a ticket. In fact, I have a suspicion the whole system was completely automated. The company often got tickets, which were successfully appealed as they had an exemption. Yet they were still issued. The whole system seems to just be about issuing tickets and, just like speeding fines, many of which may be unsound or even illegal, they will be issued regardless and most people would rather just pay the fine than query them. It is a system that discourages appeal (pay within x-number of days and you will get your fine at a reduced rate/if you go to court you risk a more substantial fine and additional points) and is predicated on convenience and the assumption that people will pay rather than incur additional cost or hassle. This instant justice has never sat well with me.

I also know of roads in other parts of London (East and South) that operate CCTV parking systems - although they are not as prolific or pernicious as those in parts of West. And it is impossible to find places to park in some residential areas all over the city as all available parking is for permit holders only. I can see why this system was implemented - to stop commuters or those from outside the area driving into town and dumping their car on someone else's doorstep - but it can be a real pain when you are visiting people or conducting business in an area. Plus some councils charge a permium for permits; an additional expense for motorists/homeowners and a licence to print money for greedy authorities. In this country we seem incapable of having a system that works for the good of the people/in the interests of local residents without it being corrupted and used to raise cash for local authorities.

I would sign a petition and do anything to help with a viral vid. I think the first is to ascertain the exact scale of the problem. Information is key. Finding out the exact state of play and working from there on how to combat it. It certainly in my experience is an unjust system that has got out of hand.